4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2012 5:00 PM by JohnHawken

InDesign CS4 Mac starts but then freezes

JohnHawken

Indesign CS4 Mac starts up but freezes from there. Trying to open files or create new ones results in the filename appearing at the bottom of the Window drop-down menu, but the file doesnt appear on-screen.

The same result occurs when opening files using "Open Recent File" as well as double-clicking the file in Finder or using "Open With" in FInder.

It couldnt have picked a worse time to crap out - right in the middle of an urgent contract!! Dang Cleetus!!

Any suggestions - apart from re-installing the program?

Cheers,

John

• 1. Re: InDesign CS4 Mac starts but then freezes
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Did you have two monitors hooked up before, and switch to one? It sounds like ID is remembering a widow position that is now off-screen.

Try activating the Application Frame and see if they'll show as tabs, or trash your prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

• 2. Re: InDesign CS4 Mac starts but then freezes
            JohnHawken Level 1

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your rapid and helpful repsonse!!

Yes, I have been using two monitors, and am now just working off the laptop alone.

I've just switched back to ID & found that it's now operating perfectly!! Go figure!

Thanks for your suggestion - I'll check that out.

Cheers,

John

• 3. Re: InDesign CS4 Mac starts but then freezes
              JohnHawken Level 1

Tried renaming InDesign Saved data and InDesign Defaults and restarting InDesign - that didnt seem to fix the problem -  after re-starting InDesign it seemed the program didnt write new versions of the files on re-start.

Will head back to the office & connect to my 23" display & see if ID works OK with that - that would confirm that it's a screen pointing issue?

Would re-installing ID help?

Cheers,

John

• 4. Re: InDesign CS4 Mac starts but then freezes
                JohnHawken Level 1

Found that ID WAS opening files, but they were hidden behind other open application windows - only the ID tool bars - top and sides - would show when ID was the active application.

However, once I minimised other open apps windows, ID's open windows "connected" with the ID active window, and remained connected - i.e. I could switch between apps and ID wouldnt "lose" hte open file's window.

If anyone could make sense of that, I'd love to hear your widsom!!

Cheers,

John