4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2012 8:23 AM by peter at knowhowpro RSS

Does InDesign have a cross-reference Issue?

bil.holifield Community Member

I have 200 books with 20000 cross-references between them. I have read online that Indesign crashes and corrupts the book and is extremely slow with cross-references. Is this true? If so then I cannot risk going down the path of converting to InDesign from LaTex  only to have issues with all these cross-refernces. I like the cross -reference features of InDesign I just have to know if they cause crashes. See http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/footnotes.html for an example of someone who says InDesign is NOT for books because of cross-refernences. Another source is in this Forum a topic called InDesign CS6 book files crash Sep. 6, 2012 6:53 pm. Basically I need a definitive answer if cross-references work or not or if there are limits.

• 1. Re: Does InDesign have a cross-reference Issue?
          Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Depends on what you mean by "book," and where the cross-refernces point.

In ID a Book is a container file (.indb) that holds pointers to a collection of individual document files (.indd) that are organized into a larger project. Cross-refs that point between the individual files in a Book are known to be unreliable using ID's own cross-reference feature (there's at least one third-party plugin that by reputation is more stable). References within a single document are reliable, and if your "book" consists of only one .indd file with many chapter stories filling many pages you should have no problem.

• 2. Re: Does InDesign have a cross-reference Issue?
            Joel Cherney CommunityMVP

Okay, Peter's already posted, I can delete my "book versus Book" disclaimer.

I've not had significant problems with cross-references quite large books in a single InDesign file. However, when using InDesign's Book feature, which lets you combine multiple single-file chapters into a book, I've found significant slowdowns, but no corruption or crashes. The simple expedient of having all of my chapters open when working on the book alleviated enough of my issues to complete the project, but in subsequent projects that rely on xrefs I've typically kept them all in one file instead of using the Book feature. I've read reports of cross-references becoming corrupt when working across multiple single-chapter files in a Book file. I've also seen Book files work just fine with extensive crossreferences when managed by DTP Tools' Cross Reference Pro.

I've not worked in any variant of TeX in years. I wonder what it is about InDesign that makes you want to port your content over. If it's worth ninety-nine euros worth of savings to you, then go buy that DTP Tools plugin. Seriously, if your work is xref-heavy, and you stand to gain in other ways by leaving LaTeX behind, then that plugin will pay for itself in one or two workdays.

• 3. Re: Does InDesign have a cross-reference Issue?
              bil.holifield Community Member

The plugin was already an alternative that I was considering. The books are heavily cross-referenced between each other and I cannot risk cross-references being the reason I am stopped from transitioning. The reason for the transition is because of the very nice epub capability in InDesign and InCopy workflow. I wonder if Adobe or even someone from DTP would like to define the limits if any of their cross-referencing. I should not be as anxious as I am to use their software. I wonder if there are other testimonies to either InDesign native or DTP cross-references that are very positive or very negative. I have about 200 separate "books" of 150-1500 pages that need to reference each other extensively.

Thank you for the replies.

• 4. Re: Does InDesign have a cross-reference Issue?
                peter at knowhowpro Community Member

Contact DTP Tools tech support with any questions. They're prompt - allowing for international time differences - and very helpful.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

bil.holifield wrote:

The plugin was already an alternative that I was considering. The books are heavily cross-referenced between each other and I cannot risk cross-references being the reason I am stopped from transitioning. The reason for the transition is because of the very nice epub capability in InDesign and InCopy workflow. I wonder if Adobe or even someone from DTP would like to define the limits if any of their cross-referencing. I should not be as anxious as I am to use their software. I wonder if there are other testimonies to either InDesign native or DTP cross-references that are very positive or very negative. I have about 200 separate "books" of 150-1500 pages that need to reference each other extensively.

Thank you for the replies.