9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 6:31 AM by Harm Millaard

Custom Build for Premiere Pro CS6? Thought?

jguadagni

Case ->                                   Zalman Z9 Mid-Tower Case, Dual Cooling Fans 120mm - 19.84" x 8.15" x 18.27"

Power Supply ->                  CORSAIR CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80% PLUS Certified

Motherboard ->                   ASUS Maximus V Gene Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro, 2x PCI-E 3.0 x16 (Dual Video@8x), 1x PCI-E 4x, 1x Mini PCI-E, Dual Channel 1600MHz 4-Slots, Max 32GB

Processor ->                          Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop CPU, Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000, 8MB L3 Cache, 22nm

CPU Cooling ->                     Included w\ CPU, 22nm Fabrication Process Uses Lower Watts for Cooler Operation

Memory ->                            G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) Dual DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Upgradable to 32GB MAX

Operating System ->           Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM, 32GB MAX Memory Supported

Operating Drive ->              Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"                 5Yr Warranty

Storage Drive ->                   Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"                   5Yr Warranty

Render Drive ->                   Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"                   5Yr Warranty

DVD-RW ->                            LG DVD Burner 24X DVD+-R Black SATA Interface

Blu-Ray BD-RE ->                  LG Black 14X BD-R, 2X BD-RE, 16X DVD+R, 5X DVD-RAM, 12X BD-ROM, 4MB Cache, SATA, BDXL Blu-ray Burner, 3D Play Back

Card Reader ->                     Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 w\ USB 3.0,  3.5"

Video Card ->                       GeForce GTX 650 - 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 - PCI Express 3.0 x16 - HDCP Ready,                  1058MHz Core - 5000MHz Effective Memory Clock

Do you think this will work well with Mecury Playback Engine and meet CUDA compatiblity? Any other thoughts.

• 1. Re: Custom Build for Premiere Pro CS6? Thought?
          RjL190365 Level 4

There are several not-so-good choices for components in that build list:

1) The case is a bit too small, and does not have sufficient cooling capability to properly cool such a hot-running CPU such as the i7-3770K.

2) That CX 600 PSU is not really a true 600W PSU. It is actually a 500W PSU with a 600W badge on it. CWT, which builds that CX600 PSU, puts the Corsair label on what is only a 500W PSU platform. In fact, the CX600 is based on the CWT DSA500 PSU.

3) The GTX 650 is a weakling of a GPU: It is barely any faster than the GPU it replaced, the GTX 550 Ti. (This is because the GTX 650 is basically a higher-clocked GT 640 with GDDR5 VRAM instead of the DDR3 VRAM that's used in the GT 640.) In fact, I don't see much if any value in a new Kepler-derived GPU that's significantly slower than a last-generation GTX 560 (non-Ti) that sells for only slightly more. Go with a GTX 660, or better still a GTX 660 Ti or higher.

• 2. Re: Custom Build for Premiere Pro CS6? Thought?
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The GTX 650 is a little weak compared to some of the other components but it will give you moderate GPU hardware acceleration.  You might need a third party cooler if you plan to overclock.

• 3. Re: Custom Build for Premiere Pro CS6? Thought?
              jguadagni Level 1

I am only a hobbyist who is going to use this for my wedding footage and rarely after that for any big project. I had ADK put this system together for me, but a friend of mine actually made some upgrades. They had a GT 640, not a GTX 650. As for the PSU and case, what do you recommend?

• 4. Re: Custom Build for Premiere Pro CS6? Thought?
                Scott Chichelli Level 3

RJ,

have to disagree with the case comments. we sell that case (a lot) it has no heat issues with either 1155 or 2011 with mulitple drives and good video card.

to the OP also no need for 2 optical drives.. pointless

• 5. Re: Custom Build for Premiere Pro CS6? Thought?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

As I said here: http://ppbm7.com/index.php/cooling?showall=&start=4

Warning: If you are considering a much better affordable system, based on the Ivy Bridge processor, be warned that the cooling paste Intel uses on the Ivy Bridge is no good, especially when overclocking. At stock speed the i7-3770K runs 11 degrees hotter than with Liquid Ultra cooling paste and at 4.6GHz even 20 degrees centigrade. However if you change the cooling paste, you also void the warranty.

Keep that in mind.

• 6. Re: Custom Build for Premiere Pro CS6? Thought?
                    jguadagni Level 1

Harm,  what's your opinion on the video card and PSU.

• 7. Re: Custom Build for Premiere Pro CS6? Thought?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

For the PSU, make a rough calculation of your energy needs. Just the other day someone challenged me about my new system and wondered if - in my case - 1200W would be enough or whether I needed a second PSU in my system.

I mailed him back the following reply:

It also triggers me to check and recheck my build and even though the list is not complete here, it gives me confidence that my choice of PSU is not wrong. I checked the majority of my components and looked up their energy consumption and ended with this listing:

• Areca controller, 29 W
                      • Corsair SSD's, 2 x 7 W = 14 W (active)
                      • EVGA video card, 195 W
                      • i7 @ 4.6 GHz, 240 W
                      • Seagate HDD's, 27 x 6 W = 162 W
                      • Fans, around 15 W (conservative, it may be closer to 10)
                      • CPU cooler, around 10 W (conservative, it may be closer to 5)
                      • RAM, unknown

This adds up to 665 W without calculating the RAM, disregarding the 2 BD-R burners that will only be used when the rest of the system is not under heavy load. I also disregarded in this list the multi-card reader, that is only used for ingest of video and photos, so during very short times and some USB devices like mouse, Contour Shuttle etc. For safety I will use staggered spin-up of the disks.

Keep in mind that in my reasoning for the 1200 W PSU, I used 100% CPU utilization, a 95% system load and 30% capacitor aging.

Now, the important thing is to keep your energy consumption levels in the range of 30-70% of the rated power for normal use. That is important because the PSU works at its best efficiency, nothing is stressed, the PSU fan runs a medium speed, keeping noise levels down and under heavy load there are reserves in the PSU without causing problems.

I suggest you read my considerations of why I needed a 1200W supply here: http://ppbm7.com/index.php/disks-psu and make the adjustments for your system. I would only suggest Corsair or Seasonic Gold+ level certified PSU's. Keep in mind that as computer only uses as much energy is demanded, whether you have a 700 W or a 1500 W PSU. The energy consumption, and thus your electricity bill, will be the same, but the smaller one is constantly walking on its toes (tiring) while a bigger one can relax and does it easily with far more stamina.

For the video card I would at this stage only look at the Kepler range, because of better energy consumption and the ability to steer up to 4 monitors. My thoughts would be GTX 660 or better.

• 8. Re: Custom Build for Premiere Pro CS6? Thought?
                        Scott Chichelli Level 3

We have no issues OCing to 4.5-4.7 and keeping them cool, the right bios setting fixes the heat issues.

Scott

ADK

• 9. Re: Custom Build for Premiere Pro CS6? Thought?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

@ 4.6 GHz, 67 degrees can be considered cool, but then with different thermal paste, 47 degrees is even cooler.