4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 7:39 AM by Peter Spier

Fonts available

HeatherW2986

Is there a way to download more fonts to use for InDesign, or does the fonts that it offers you depend on your computer? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Fonts available
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Any font that can be installed on your computer should be usable in ID. The program ships with an identical set of OpenType fonts for Mac and PC.

You can purchase other quality fonts from Adobe and a variety of other vendors. Stay away from the free fonts websites if you want to avoid trouble with output.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Fonts available
            Kalajda Level 1

Usable fonts for any SW must be instaled on your computer as a part of your operating system. Basic set is delivered together with OS, some fonts are instaled together with any graphic or office software, you can download the other fonts for free or buy them from internet. The way how you install them depends on your OS. I am PC user so here it can be done by right clicking font file and choosing instal font from submenu. You can manage font instalation by some SW for instance Printers Aprentice, which allows you de/instalation of fonts and managing them through its own interface.

Jura

• 3. Re: Fonts available
              Kalajda Level 1

I agree with Peter. Free fonts often miss some glyphs - characters (mainly central European diakritics which I often use) and do not have kerning set properly (distancies between different pairs of letters), so the text looks ugly.

• 4. Re: Fonts available
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

They're often the source of failure for outputting PDF, too.