9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 8:43 AM by Jeff Bellune

My GTX580 is not working with premiere cs6

Hamza Sgayar (Redcode)

I just bought a GTX580 in the hopes of getting faster rendering and exporting.

Premiere says that it's enabled "Mercury playback engine GPU Acce..." But when i export the CPU works instead of the GPU, Any ideas? Thanks .

• 1. Re: My GTX580 is not working with premiere cs6
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Export is not MPE accelerated.

• 3. Re: My GTX580 is not working with premiere cs6
            Harm Millaard Level 7

You are linking to a clip that talks about rendering, not exporting. These are different animals. Rendering profits enormously from hardware MPE, exporting does not. Encoding (= exporting) is purely a CPU matter. The only things that profit from hardware MPE during export are scaling (for instance going from HD and exporting to SD), blurring and frame blending. If you do not apply blurring to your export, keep the same fps and and keep the export size the same, all effort has to come from the CPU and the video card is not used at all.

• 5. Re: My GTX580 is not working with premiere cs6
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Of course there are many more Premiere effects and features that are MPE accelerated if you use them,here are some:

•     scaling (details here) •     deinterlacing •     blending modes •     color space conversions •     Alpha Adjust •     Basic 3D •     Black & White •     Brightness & Contrast •     Color Balance (RGB) •     Color Pass •     Color Replace •     Crop •     Drop Shadow •     Extract •     Fast Color Corrector •     Feather Edges •     Gamma Correction •     Garbage Matte (4, 8, 16) •     Gaussian Blur •     Horizontal Flip •     Levels •     Luma Corrector •     Luma Curve •     Noise •     Proc Amp •     RGB Curves •     RGB Color Corrector •     Sharpen •     Three-way Color Corrector •     Timecode •     Tint •     Track Matte •     Ultra Keyer •     Video Limiter •     Vertical Flip •     Cross Dissolve •     Dip to Black •     Dip to White •     Film Dissolve •     Additive Dissolve •     Invert •     Directional Blur •     Fast Blur •     frame rate differences •     field order differences •     pixel aspect ratio differences •     frame size differences •     media with different alpha channel representations •

• 6. Re: My GTX580 is not working with premiere cs6
                Harm Millaard Level 7

But only for rendering, not for export/ecoding.

• 7. Re: My GTX580 is not working with premiere cs6
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Harm, I am sorry but that is absolutely not true! 

If you would try my proposed PPBM6 MPEG2-DVD timeline you would find that the direct export from CS6 you would see that CPU-only export results divided by the GPU assisted results is the basis for this plot showing the MPE gain with different graphics cards.  And this is with my overclocked hex-core i7-980X at 4.2 GHz.  If you are operating non-overclocked with only four cores and non-hypertreaded with that GTX 680 rather than a gain of 16+ the gain goes up to 27+.  Now my timeline is loaded with many MPE accelerated effects and features and as an example uses MRQ to be equal in quality to the higher quality that you get automatically from the GPU

MPE-Gain-vs-card.jpg 

This timeline is extreme and the typical user will never use all these effects and features at one time but it is a much better MPE gain benchmark that the rendering the timeline that we currently use in PPBM5 in my opinion.

• 8. Re: My GTX580 is not working with premiere cs6
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Correct Bill, since there is scaling and frame blending going on. Now try it on a AVCHD sequence exported to full HD without blurring, blending, and framerate adjustment. Your argument is what I said:

The only things that profit from hardware MPE during export are scaling (for instance going from HD and exporting to SD), blurring and frame blending

which you demonstrated well to support my argument. Thank you.

• 9. Re: My GTX580 is not working with premiere cs6
                      Jeff Bellune Level 6

For most users, the term "exporting" covers everything that happens once the Export button is clicked in the Export Settings dialog.  That's true even if they genuinely understand the difference between "rendering" in a sequence to improve editing playback and "exporting" a finished sequence to the final delivery format and codec.

During the "export", frames with effects have to be rendered before they can be handed off to the encoder for transcoding.  When CUDA-accelerated effects are in use, hardware MPE on or off greatly affects the rendering portion of the export process, even if no scaling, blurring or frame blending is occurring.

I believe it is too esoteric and confusing to split hairs over which part of the export process is using hardware MPE -- rendering or transcoding.  Both processes occur without user input once the Export button is clicked, and both processes are required for the "export" to complete.

Jeff