3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 8:49 AM by ForrestGimp

Adding info about status as textlayer

ForrestGimp Level 1

Hi

I would like to know if/how the following is possible:

In my Image i have several layers, and two adjustment-layers for manipulating hue/saturation of  parts of certain layers. Think something like having a picture of a person, and having the adjustment-layers to change the persons pants and shirt independently. So you can easily make color-variations of what the person wears, and save them, e.g. as jpg.

What I want is to add a little textarea which ends up on each jpg (not meta-data, I mean readable in a corner on the actual image), that gives me the color-values from the adjustment layers that were used to create that very image. So at a later time when I have one of my jpgs and it hits me that this exact color-combination is perfekt I can recreate it easily. Of course I could do it by hand, but is there a way to automate it, using text-variables linked to the hue/saturation-layers?

• 1. Re: Adding info about status as textlayer
          Level 5

The JPEG format does not support layers.

JPEG is a lossy format that should only be used as a target final product.

Save your image files as PSDs or TIFFs.  You can add notes to the layer's name, rather than to the image itself.

• 2. Re: Adding info about status as textlayer
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

but is there a way to automate it, using text-variables linked to the hue/saturation-layers?

One might be able to »fully« automate the task with Scripts and Script Events Manager, but it seems like a bad idea.

Semi automation (for example running a Script that creates a text layer with a selected Hue/Saturation Layer’s settings) might be possible – maybe you should ask over in the Scripting Forum.

• 3. Re: Adding info about status as textlayer
              ForrestGimp Level 1

@station_two: I'm aware that jpg is lossy and doesn't support layers. And I know that I could keep track of the info by hand, or saving a psd every time I change the value. But that was not my point.

@c.pfaffenbichler: I wasn't aware that Photoshop was capable of interpreting scripts.

What I was looking for anyway was something similar to expressions in AfterEffects. I can tie basicly any value/setting to a textoutput so I can keep track of changes during the videos progress there. And the files I create in PS are used as textures in 3D-animations, i.e. they have to be small (hence using jpg) and, as I do this for my employer, they could always change later on. To evaluate a colorscheme it has to be in the 3D-setting "in action", so I can't use psds/tiffs.

So when I create a number of versions of my textures to choose from, it would be nice to just pick one and say "take that green, together with that other versions red and that purple and make a combination for the final version". When doing 30 images it is bothersome to record hue/saturation/brightness settings (for three image-sections each!) by hand. (3*3 settings = 9 numbers + filename = 10; 10*30 = 300 pieces of stuff to write down, or save 30 psd tiles additional to the 30 jpgs).  I was just wondering if there was an easier way to do it.