6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 9:39 AM by the_wine_snob

Encore CS5 DVD build altering audio (?)

videope Level 1

Is it possible that Encore might be altering audio?

I exported to Encore my Premiere Pro project through dynamic link.  The first DVD build produced a DVD with normal sound.

After revising the premiere project to adjust the color of one clip I created a new DVD of the same video but found that one of the other clips in the video had a scratchy sound.

I revised the premiere project again by reducing the volume of the clip.  This produced a DVD with normal sound.

Still working on the same project I imported another sequence to Encore added a menu and built a DVD.  I find now that two other clips of the video has acquired the scratchy sound.

Whay might be happening?  In the revisions I made I didn't alter volume. 

• 1. Re: Encore CS5 DVD build altering audio (?)
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I find it best to avoid using Dynamic Link in this case.  Just export out using an MPEG2- DVD preset.

And if you do any more revisions, export out the revised section to a new name, then do a Replace Asset inside of Encore.

• 2. Re: Encore CS5 DVD build altering audio (?)
            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Curious about your workflow.

Still working on the same project I imported another sequence to Encore added a menu and built a DVD.

I assume from your description that you are starting a new Encore project each time. The alternative is to keep the original Encore project, use "revert to original" to undo the transcode of the Premiere sequence (which then updates the timeline in Encore to the revised Premiere version), and adjust the timeline length as needed.

As Jim notes, dynamic link has its issues and many users prefer to just export from PR. This is particularly true where there is an HD to SD downrez involved.

Audio issues like the one you describe are likely to be issues in your source material.

• 3. Re: Encore CS5 DVD build altering audio (?)
              videope Level 1

Hi guys.  Please help me think.

I used Revert To Original in my existing project and the problem prersists.  The curious fact is that audio that once was ok in one DVD gets somehow corrupted after revising the project.  It is also ok when I preview the video in my computer.  It appears in the built DVD.

I am now going to start over and this is where I need your help.

The final DVD is composed of the Sequences.  The first sequence was exported from one Premiere project to Encore and the second was imported by Encore from another Premiere project.  In both cases using Dynamic link.

What I think of doing now is to start a new project where I will import the two sequences and have Sequence 1 and 2 (each corresponding to each project).

Once that is done I will try Dynamic Link again and see if it works.

If it doesn't I will try the MPEG 2 and the DVD preset.  Could you also help me on how to perform this?

I will appreciate letting me know if I am in the right track. 

• 4. Re: Encore CS5 DVD build altering audio (?)
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since you are already having issues, I would skip the DL step.

Export using the MPEG2-DVD preset. The issues there depend on your source material.

Encore does not like lots of changes; I'd do a little more work (with the DL sequences is okay), getting the menus and navigation down. Then start all over with a new Encore project (import the menus from the old Encore files is okay), and use the mpeg2s exported from PR.

• 5. Re: Encore CS5 DVD build altering audio (?)
                  videope Level 1

Me again.

I finally finished after several days of painful work.

To summarize:

The issue was that the audio problem was not evident in Premiere Pro nor on YouTube where I had uploaded a couple of the clips.

It was not until the DVD was created in Encore that the audio became scratchy.  I finally observed that Encore doesn't like audio that goes high up of the yellow portion of the volume monitor.  It can deal with midway the yellow mark but not higher.

The solution was to decrease the volume of those portions.

Encore is a neat feature but temperamental to say the least as I also had issues with the chapter markers but finally made them work.

Thanks again for your help.

...and now... into my next project.

• 6. Re: Encore CS5 DVD build altering audio (?)
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

In Encore, what was your Audio Transcode setting, such as DD AC3? If so, then the compression applied in that AC3 was likely causing the issue.

If you DID use DD AC3 Transcoding, try with PCM/WAV (Uncompressed), and test whether you get that distortion.

Good luck,

Hunt