Hi,

Hope you're well.

I have a collage of photos on a layer and want to create a smoke

effect layer on top of it.

How can you do that in an elegant way?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Creating smokey effect on a layer
          conroy Level 5

Smoke varies greatly in appearance. You'll need to post an example of the effect you want.

• 2. Re: Creating smokey effect on a layer
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I have created "smoke" with my Wacom (so that I would "twirl" and apply Pressure). Look at the "Nature Brushes," and Paint onto a New Layer, above all others. Experiment, and work with lower Opacities for the Brushes. Note: if you build up to much Opacity, you can alter the Layer's Opacity. Also, the Blend Mode can help too - maybe look at Lighten or Screen. Do not be affraid to experiment with both Layer Opacity, and Blending Mode.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Creating smokey effect on a layer
              graph22 Level 1

Thanks. How do you find nature brushes?

I've tried Lighten and Screen on the layer and it doesn't do anything. Is there something else I should be doing along with choosing those blending mode?

• 4. Re: Creating smokey effect on a layer
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I mis-stated my "Nature Brushes," as on the laptop, they are "Natural Brushes." This shows where you Load Brushes:

Brushes_PS.png

On my workstation, I have many, many more, most downloaded from Adobe Studio Exchange, or other sources around the Internet.

Also, the laptop has an older version of PS, so your exact Panels/Palettes will likely look a bit different - still, their function should be identical.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Altered Attached Image