14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 3:17 PM by andy jxm

Help needed joining 2 prels in one movie

andy jxm Level 1

Hi I want to join two PE9 prels together in on movie, how do I do this?

Kind Regards ... Andy

• 1. Re: Help needed joining 2 prels in one movie
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You need to Share each completed movie and then combine the two completed movie in a final movie mixdown.

The Share settings you use depend on your project specs. Are you editing standard DV or hi-def? 1440x1080 HDV or 1920x1080 AVCHD?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help needed joining 2 prels in one movie
            andy jxm Level 1

Hi Steve, I don’t understand what you mean when you say ‘combine the two completed movie in a final movie mixdown.’

I'll tell you what I’m trying to do.

I make videos to put on YouTube and I want to make an opening sequence that would be made up from a number of clips. I want to save that opening sequence so that I can call it up at the beginning of each new movie I make.

So at the start of an editing session I’d call up the start sequence that has already been edited and then drag in the new clips to edit.

I do all my filming with a Kodak Zi8 in what they call 1080p mode (HD) and I always upload to YouTube from PE9 using DSLR 29.97 fps frame size 1920X1080 (not that it means much to me)

You can see my typical work if you search for gw0jxm that’s my ham radio call sign (the third character is a zero.) I want to do a short opening sequence for the stuff I call ‘About Radio’

Sorry if my original question wasn’t specific enough. Thanks for your assistance.

Kind Regards Andy    

• 3. Re: Help needed joining 2 prels in one movie
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Assuming you've set up your project correctly for your video source, for each of your movies go to Share/Computer/AVCHD using the preset for M2T H264 1920x1080 30 to output each as a finished movie.

Then open a new project and make sure it's set up for Full AVCHD 1920x1080. You can then add the two finished movies you output in the first step in this project.

You'll find more details on these steps in my books and in my free 8 part Basic Training tutorial series.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

• 4. Re: Help needed joining 2 prels in one movie
                andy jxm Level 1

Thanks Steve I appreciate your help.

I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the link, I’ve only had a quick look at the site but it looks like you’ve put a lot of effort into it.

Let me know when you write a book on ‘How to get more hours out of the day,’ I just don’t have enough time left to do everything I want to get done.

Again, thanks for sparing the time to help me.

Kind Regards ... Andy

• 5. Re: Help needed joining 2 prels in one movie
                  andy jxm Level 1

Hi Steve, for the record I’m using PE9 on a PC

I’ve fallen at the first hurdle,..

...when I come to save a bunch of old clips that edited, I went to ‘share’ I selected Computer, I have the options of MPEG, AVI or Windows Media.

Under MPGE,  If I select presets I have options for 2 options for NTSC, PAL and HD720 plus 5 options for MPEG2

Under AVI I have two options for DV NTSC, Microsoft AVI and Uncompressed Microsoft AVI

Under Windows Media I have preset options for Cable Modem, LAN, 128k ISDN, Dial up, HD 720p 25 and  HD 730p 25

So I can’t save as you say in AVCHD using preset for M2TH264 1920X1080 30

I have found an option for MPEG2 1920X1080i 30 so I’ve tried that and it works but it’s a very grainy.

Another question, I tend to waffle on a bit in my videos and often run over 15 minutes, my YouTube account allows me to upload over 15 minutes but I can’t upload more than 15 mins via PE9, why is that and can I do anything about it?

Kind Regards ... Andy 

• 6. Re: Help needed joining 2 prels in one movie
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

When I am creating intermediate files, that will be edited later, I use a lossless CODEC, such as the Lagarith, or UT Lossless. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/875797?tstart=0

For YouTube's extended accounts, one will need to Share to a YouTube compatible file (see this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/623549?tstart=0 ), and then manually upload via your extended account. When even PrE 10 was coded, there were no YouTube extended accounts, so PrE is hard-wired into the old Duration limitation.

I would guess that PrE 11 will have the extended account capability, but then YouTube will offer a super-extended account, and one will have to Share and manually upload, all over again.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Help needed joining 2 prels in one movie
                      andy jxm Level 1

Thanks Bill, man sometimes I think wet film processing and editing was easier, I think I need to find some nice simple hobbies like knitting or keeping a goldfish.

I'll tell you Bill, radios I can fix but computers drive me nuts.

I remember them telling me it’s ‘Wysisyg’ but they lied to me.

Thanks for the links; it looks like more reading and trials.

All the very best ... Andy 

• 8. Re: Help needed joining 2 prels in one movie
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I often feel overwhelmed too. About the time that I think I have a pretty good handle on video files, and their CODEC's, and then someone introduces a totally new one, or one that has been so reworked that, that I am once more lost.

On the otherhand, I suppose that I could go back to my cine days, and edit my film on a Moviola... or maybe not.

Good luck, and should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask here. There are a lot of hard-working volunteers, who love to help others.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Help needed joining 2 prels in one movie
                          andy jxm Level 1

Thanks Bill, I don’t know if Steve is going to come back to me on the graininess that I mentioned. I could find the options he told me to use.

I'll tell you what would be a big help me on this site and that would be the ability to copy and paste a word document in to it.

I’m dyslectic and it’s a real bugger. Tonight I’ve found that I can paste from my clipboard but it says the site has access to the contents of my clipboard, if I didn’t use the spell checker I don’t think anyone would understand my questions.

Kind Regards ... Andy   

• 10. Re: Help needed joining 2 prels in one movie
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

I missed the "graininess." I'll check back upthread, and if I can help out, will. I am sure that Steve will be back. He's pretty busy right now, trying to get a new book done, so we might miss seeing him for a day at a time.

As for the Copy/Pasting, I often compose my Replies in WordPerfect for several reasons, and one is a more robust SpellChecker, than I have in my Google Chrome browser, and just Copy the text from there, and Paste it into the forum editing screen. To date, I have never had an issue with that. What happens, when you Copy your wordprocessor text, and then Paste it into an open forum Reply editing screen?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Help needed joining 2 prels in one movie
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

OK, you wrote:

I have found an option for MPEG2 1920X1080i 30 so I’ve tried that and it works but it’s a very grainy.

My first inclination would be that this is caused by re-compressing your Video. AVCHD (and MPEG, and many other formats/CODEC's) are compressed by the camera. Data, from the camera's sensor, has been thrown away, but, and especially with HD material, things still look good.

However, every step, that includes another generation of compression, will degrade the resulting image. That is why I use lossless intermediate files - I know that in most cases, I will be Sharing to a highly compressed format, such as MPEG-2 DVD for authoring to a DVD. If I will be Sharing, and then Importing and editing a file, whether it's with PrE, or a program, such as After Effects, I do not want lossy re-compression, as each generation of that will be cumulative, and by the time I go to produce my DVD-Video, I will have re-compressed many times, and the quality WILL suffer. I do not want that to happen, hence the workflow that I outlined in that Intermediate Files article. The fewer generations of lossy compression, that one can get by with, the better the quality.

Now, I am only guessing that re-compression is the cause for what you are seeing, but that is the very first culprit, that comes to my mind.

Sorry that I missed that, and also feel that Steve, and others will have more thoughts for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Help needed joining 2 prels in one movie
                                andy jxm Level 1

Hi Bill

I get a message come up to say...

‘Do you want to allow this web page to access your clipboard? If you allow this, the web page can access the clipboard and read information that you’ve cut or copied recently.’

What I do is clear the clipboard before I copy and past anything into the forum, but as I said I only found I could do that tonight.

Regards ... Andy

• 13. Re: Help needed joining 2 prels in one movie
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

I have not seen that message, but probably have my security settings a bit lower, as I have several hardware firewalls, and separate "sentinal" programs.

In Windows, when one uses the Clipboard to Copy, or Cut, all other data is purged, before that data is written into RAM for work in Pasting into other programs. [Oh how many times have I wished that I could Copy a half-dozen things into Clipboard, and Paste them in the order that I choose?]

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Help needed joining 2 prels in one movie
                                    andy jxm Level 1

Hi Bill, I don’t know where you are but it’s bedtime here in the UK it’s aournd 11:00 pm here.

o.k. on the quality issues, I think I'll try and find another way around what I was planning to do. Like not bothering to do it hi hi.

On the clipboard issue, I’m using Microsoft Word non-commercial on a pc and I can open the clipboard window and it’s showing me 3 of 24 items on the clipboard and I can paste any of them. I don’t know how to get the other 21 items that it says are there. I have the option to ‘paste all’ or ‘clear all’

Man , like I said radios I can fix but computers....

All the best Bill

Regards and night night... Andy

ps as I copied the above it showed 4 items on the clipboard so I guess the the 21 items I couldn't see may have been items claerd this sesion but still counted in this sessino.