2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 11:19 AM by e.lasater

System policies... how will it effect capturing video?

e.lasater

The organization I work for just implemented a new policy that will lock all domain computers after 15 minutes of inactivity. Users must ctrl-alt-del and login after that point.  I understand the reasoning behind this, but am wondering what effect this will have if it happens during video capture?  I'm not worried about the monitors shutting off, but about having to log in again during the middle of a capture.  I don't usually do anything else on my work station when capturing video.

I am on Windows 7 Enterprise and use Premier Pro CS5.5.  Video is captured from a Sony HVR-Z5U.

• 1. Re: System policies... how will it effect capturing video?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>lock all domain computers after 15 minutes of inactivity

Does that just mean going to a locked screensaver, or some other security measure?

If the OS itself is interrupted, I would THINK capturing will stop... and the file may very well be lost due to that interruption

But... that is only speculation... so you may need to contact Adobe about this one

I will say (based on a lot of past messages) that "in general" PPro is not designed for network/domain use

Is it possible to have your video editing computer removed from the domain, so it will not need to go into lock mode?

• 2. Re: System policies... how will it effect capturing video?
            e.lasater Level 1

It's just going to a locked screensaver.

When I'm working with video, I'm not saving anything over the network - it's all to my local hard drives.

The thought about not logging into the domain did cross my mind - I've never had to try it. But since spending hours bumping the mouse every 14 minutes isn't really my idea of a good time, it might come down to that.  It frustrates me a little bit that the OS doesn't recognize the computer is "active" if Premier is capturing or processing video. /sigh