4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2012 9:39 AM by David McGavran

Alexa ArriRaw - Can't Import Footage as a Sequence in AE CS6

stevedry

I'm working with ARRIRAW footage which is recorded as a sequence of .ARI files.  CS6 supports ARRIRAW, but it won't allow me to import them as a sequence. Sooo... I imported them all as individual stills, selected all of them in my project, clicked 'New Comp from Selection', and specified the Still Duration as 1 frame.  Now this ALMOST worked, but the fact that I can't change it from Base 30 to Base 24 means that the each frame duration is too short for my 24fps composition.

I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place on this, so any advice would be appreciated!  I either need to be able to import my .ARI files as a sequence, or I need to be able to change the Still Duration to Base 24.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Alexa ArriRaw - Can't Import Footage as a Sequence in AE CS6
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I haven't tried Arri footage yet but you can fix the time base problem on import by selecting all layers in the comp, go to the first frame of the comp and press Alt/Option + [ to set the in point at frame zero, then press Alt/Option + ] to set the out point. Now select Keyframe Assistant and sequence layers.

There you go. Perfect fit in a 24 fps comp.

I will look for some arri frames to experiment with. I only need 2 to see if I can make it import as a sequence.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Alexa ArriRaw - Can't Import Footage as a Sequence in AE CS6
            stevedry Level 1

Wow -- I just figured it out, and it's truly bizarre. While I was trying your suggested solution, I realized that despite that ArriRaw is recorded as a sequence of .ARIs, I only have to import any single file from the sequence for the entire sequence to be brought into After Effects.  In the project folder it only shows it as a single file, doesn't represent it as a sequence, and says it has no duration -- but when dropped into a new comp it's all there (perhaps AE is using the .XML that exists inside of the folder of every clip to make this work).  I've worked with A LOT of different formats over the years, and this takes the cake as the strangest.  I think Adobe just hasn't completely sussed out AE's workflow for ArriRaw yet (they have no documentation on it) and my confusion was caused by the fact that Adobe hasn't refined their method for importing the footage.

It looks like my problem is solved, albeit in a strange, unsatisfying way.

Thanks a bunch Rick -- much appreciated!

Cheers

• 3. Re: Alexa ArriRaw - Can't Import Footage as a Sequence in AE CS6
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's that way with all sequence files. Just select one, any one, then check the box....

• 4. Re: Alexa ArriRaw - Can't Import Footage as a Sequence in AE CS6
                David McGavran Adobe Employee

Others mentioned the answer.   Arri is a bit different as it really doesn't make sense to open it as a single file.   So pick the first one in the sequence and off you go.  In premiere with the mediabrowser it is a bit clearer.  The mediabrowser shows it as a single movie.

Cheers

Dave