3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2008 1:39 PM by ArtieEffam

How to record OS UI actions

cesar_monroy
      I want to record a tutorial about how to configure a web server in Windows Vista, but when I click on the Start button, the operating system intercepts all calls from the keyboard, like PrtScr or F11, and so I can't seem to be able to capture the steps. Does anybody know how to do it with Captivate 3? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: How to record OS UI actions
          ArtieEffam Level 1
          Have you tried changing the recording key commands to "regular" keys- just letters or numbers? :^)

Good luck!

Artie
          • 2. Re: How to record OS UI actions
            cesar_monroy Level 1
            Thanks Artie.

Letters and numbers are prefixed by Alt key or Ctrl key, both of which are intercepted by the OS.

I've done before this kind of captures with version 1 or 2 of Captivate, but wanted to see if I could spare going back to previous versions :(
            • 3. Re: How to record OS UI actions
              ArtieEffam Level 1
              Doh! I kind of figured that you would have tried that already, but you never know. OK... I have one other suggestion– not such a no-brainer, but maybe more convoluted than you want: VNC.

If you were running your app on another machine, it wouldn't be able to intercept your keystrokes locally. I'm recording Mac stuff, so I have no choice but to use VNC, but it's actually been kind of nice.

If I'm just setting up a series of shots, I do it on the Mac, and reach over and hit Printscreen on the PC as needed. That way, only the clicks and keystrokes I actually want are captured. (And if I mis-click, I don't have to listen to Captivate taking pictures of me while I fix my mistake.) If I do want Captivate to detect my actions, I work through the VNC viewer.

Have a great weekend!
              Artie