7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2012 3:18 AM by graphicsxp

rendering composition ends up huge

graphicsxp Level 1

Hello,

I'm very new to AfterEffect so I appologize if this sounds obvious to other people. But I wonder why my output file is so big while the input files I've used to create the composition were not.

My input files are videos shot with a Canon 5D MkII and they are respectively 98Mb, 136Mb and 36Mb. I created a composition and added a warp stabilizer effect, that's it.

Then I render using the following ouput settings:

H.264 with bitrate encoding set to CBR 190 Mbps

Audio 48,000 Khz Stéréo.

This is as close as I could get to the original videos in term of picture quality, yet it's not quite as good even with these settings. And the problem is that I end up with a 1Gb mp4 file !

I don't understand how I can keep the hight quality of the input videos without increasing the file size....

Any help would be appreciated !

Thank you

• 1. Re: rendering composition ends up huge
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't understand how I can keep the hight quality of the input videos without increasing the file size....

It's impossible. You're working off an already compressed format and add a second pass of compression on top of it. Image quality will always be worse than the original, especialyl since you're also applying a destructive process that distorts the source footage, changing any existing pixel patterns considerably so even if AE did some sort of pass-through encoding, it would still do a full re-encode since there is no original data left that would allow things like a fast transcode. Things are just as they are. If you want to retaain better image quality, you wil lhave to use intermediat workflwos based on image sequences or things like Quicktime files with Animation compression. That would also allow using tools like AME to achieve better compression results externally. Still, the original points stick: Compression on top of compression will never look like the original.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: rendering composition ends up huge
            JFPhoton Level 3

.......I'm a reader from the PPro Hardware forum and see questions like this over there......although not too familiar with AE that much, on THAT forum, it has been mentioned to export the file  as a lossless avi.......with NO compression, ( i.e. lagarith,etc..)....to preserve quality. Of course the file sizes will be HUGE and you would need a beefy I/O  setup, ( HDDs), or  to handle the speed needed. Best is to ask a pro what THEY do!

• 3. Re: rendering composition ends up huge
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We render to production codecs which are lossless or nearly lossless and most of us use as high a bit depth as we can.

Only if the footage needs no further work in your NLE or no further manipulation (color grading for example) do we ever render to the same format and codec that you've set premiere pro to use. We never try and render back to the same codec that is used by a camera that uses any kind of MPEG stream for recording. The compression artifacts, motion artifacts, and other problems make these capture codecs used by most video cameras useless in a production environment. Included in the list are any consumer or prosumer camera and even cameras like Sony XD, Panasonic P2.  Acquisition codecs are not production codecs.

• 4. Re: rendering composition ends up huge
                JFPhoton Level 3

Thanks for the response Rick! How about the " Hyperdeck Shuttle" that records directly onto an SSD from a DSLR  camera in an uncompressed format, ( also records in DnXHD ).....have you had any experience with that? If so, how has it worked out?

Also,can you tell which pro codecs you export to the most, and maybe why? A professionals opinion can help many people that do not have the experience to avoid pitfalls! Thanks!

• 5. Re: rendering composition ends up huge
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Hyperdeck Shuttle is a Black Magic Design product that will record to a couple of 'uncompressed' (meaning lossless) 10 bit codecs. These are the Production Codecs that I'm talking about. I often render to Black Magic Design's 10 bit lossless codec because I have a bunch of clients that use Black Magic cards in their production pipeline.

• 6. Re: rendering composition ends up huge
                    Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

When I'm using footage from the Canon 5D, I convert everything to ProRes 4444 using Magic Bullet Grinder.  This is the first step.  Then the editing and compositing is done, and the final step is compression to a delivery codec if required.  Never use After Effects to do your final delivery codec compression, because it's not designed for such work.  Use Adobe Media Encoder, Quicktime Pro or any other reliable compression utility.

• 7. Re: rendering composition ends up huge
                      graphicsxp Level 1

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my question. This is very helpful information.

I've tried rendering to the lossless format, but then the rendered file is even bigger and my computer can't play it or it's very jerky. I guess it needs to be compressed at one stage or the other and I understand lossless is not for production release.

In my case, I currently use AfterEffect only for its stabilizer plug-in and then I compose with Windows Movie Maker (go on, laugh .  I'm very amateur right now and I pretty much use my camera only for still pictures). I create the production movie with Movie Maker and so far I've always been happy with the end result, which quality is the same as the original files. So I'll try to import the lossless file exported from AE into Movie Maker and see if that works. Otherwise I'll try Andrew's solution, it seems interesting.

thanks.