18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 8:12 AM by Mustjab_arshad

closed my 3D secondary view window ..

simo.b Level 1

Hi all,

working with a 3D extrusion layer in CS6. I've closed the secondary view window. Where do I go to get it to display again ?

• 1. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
          conroy Level 5

Menu View > Show > 3D Secondary View

You might want to create a keyboard shortcut for that.

• 2. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
            simo.b Level 1

Awesome - and simple once you know - thanks.

BTW - sounds like you've put spent time with the 3D - have you had any issues with not being able to adjust camera positions on screen. Was working today on a simple scene and could only get the camera to rotate on one axis only - no roll, move etc. Don't know what fixed it but it started to work again after some time...

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
              conroy Level 5

I've not noticed a camera positioning problem, but I've rarely used Photoshop's 3D.

I've stopped using the 3D since the 13.0.1 update because now when rendering, I'm unable to use my computer without a mouse click in any app resulting in Photoshop pausing the render. There's no crash, and the Resume Render command is usually available, but it's impractical and unreasonable for my computer to be unusable for the duration of rendering.

Are you using Photoshop 3D on a Mac? If so, which version of OS X, and can you click in other app windows without the rendering being paused by Photoshop?

• 4. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
                Noel Carboni Level 8

simo.b wrote:

could only get the camera to rotate on one axis only

There's a host of buttons up in the Options bar that affect how the scene moves when you are using the Move Tool...  Any chance you clicked one of them?

RollThe3DObject.png

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
                  simo.b Level 1

Yes - os 10.6.8, but version 13.0 - it's rendering quite happily when I'm typing this. It does pause when I click back into Photoshop. Cmd + tab to switch applications seems ok afaik. As least it seems you can pick it up from where it left last time which is good.

• 6. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
                    conroy Level 5

Thanks for that valuable info. Yes, I was sure that I had been able to use other apps while rendering with 13.0. Seems like the 13.0.1 update indeed did introduce my present rendering problem.

• 7. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
                      simo.b Level 1

no - that's the problem - I grabbed the Roll, Move etc and they didn't do anything. Item transforms on the mesh and changing the camera postion using the Co-ordinates Panel all work OK however. ..

• 8. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
                        simo.b Level 1

Shame you can't export to something like Maxwell or VRay ... now that would be cool

• 9. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
                          conroy Level 5

simo.b wrote:

As least it seems you can pick it up from where it left last time which is good.

Resume is available more often than not. It's quite unreliable, though.

• 10. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
                            conroy Level 5

Scenes can be exported with menu 3D > Export 3D Layer.

• 11. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
                              conroy Level 5

simo, notice that each move of the 3D view or a 3D object results in a new history state. A 3D transformation can be recorded by a few handfuls of bytes but Photoshop is unlike other 3D software and gobbles 10s of MBs of memory to record a trivial transformation. The 3D view can be extremely sluggish when Ps is using virtual memory. The performance with just a cube and a light in the scene can be like working with a megapolygon model on a 10-year old PC.

• 12. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
                                Noel Carboni Level 8

It's a snake eating tail situation...  There's really good hardware available in modern times, so engineers aren't as concerned with ultimate efficiency as they once were (perhaps misguided by a sense of "we can get it done more quickly if we do sloppy design", I don't know).  But then you need really good hardware to run it.  Then everyone just sort of assumes we need really good hardware to do that kind of work.

Think back to the virtual reality first person shooter games that ran in real time on 486 systems in the early 1990s.  Yes, they took every shortcut in the book, optimized everything possible, and we settled for low quality results.  But they achieved full motion 3D rendering with a processor more than 100 times slower than what we have today and we could shoot Imps with delight in Doom all the way back then.

-Noel

• 13. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
                                  conroy Level 5

I fully understand your message, but contemporary software other than Photoshop does not use 10s of MBs to record each twitch in a 3D viewport. Photoshop engineers are just bolting 3D functions onto a 2D framework and building a grotesquely inefficient hybrid.

• 14. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
                                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Yes, I'll agree with that.  They might not have integrated the design as well as it could be into the legacy of what's already there because of being underfunded, and because a bolted-on design works acceptably well on their behemoth development computers, it passes muster.

All I can say is about the only thing we can do about it is buy the biggest, baddest, rompin' stompin' computer we can afford, and you know what I've been doing lately.

I'm going to have the second biggest, baddest, rompin' stompin' computer for sale in a few weeks if you're considering jumping to Windows. 

-Noel

• 15. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
                                      conroy Level 5

I'm clinging onto Snow Leopard for as long as I can. Won't be buying new hardware until I'm forced to move on from SL.

• 16. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
                                        Noel Carboni Level 8

It's possible the Precision T5400 will run a Hackintosh rendition of Snow Leopard, I'm not sure.  I had it working in a VM on that system (purely for experimental purposes). 

-Noel

• 17. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
                                          simo.b Level 1

conroy wrote:

I fully understand your message, but contemporary software other than Photoshop does not use 10s of MBs to record each twitch in a 3D viewport. Photoshop engineers are just bolting 3D functions onto a 2D framework and building a grotesquely inefficient hybrid.

I think the implementation is fundamentally more flawed. Who'd design a 3d software program where essentially, each item resides in a different 3d space? From the ground up, there should have been a single world co-ordinate system that all Layers use. Let the user position each Layer within that as the items are created. You can hack it, but it's painful and un-workable. The effects are great, there's some cool things you can do with 2D and 3D elements that I think much improved from CS5, but as it stands at the moment, it's quite frustrating.

• 18. Re: closed my 3D secondary view window ..
                                            Mustjab_arshad

I have a problem with photoshop 3d..
                                            All 3d options enabled but photoshop is not show secondary view of 3d and 3d Selection..
                                            While I installed adobe Photoshop CS6 and that's Showing all things includes 3d secondary view and 3d Selection..
                                            Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5
                                            Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz
                                            Windows 7 64bit SP1
                                            Ram 4gb
                                            OpenGl Supports 2.0
                                            Screenshot_1.jpgScreenshot_2.jpg

Can AnyOne Help me Please...!