3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2008 9:27 AM by Newsgroup_User

Director 11 - Any exporter improvements?

Robert Crowe
      Now that Adobe has announced Director 11, will there be any improvements in the situation with modeling and animation applications exporting W3D? This has been a weak spot for a long time now. I've been banging my head against the wall trying to use Cinema 4D, which exports keyframe based motions just fine but not bones. I can't seem to use any of the great joint / skin stuff that MOCCA has because it doesn't survive the export. It seems as though 3ds Max is the only really usable application, as far as i can tell.

It would be great if Adobe could release and support exporters for the others, such as C4D, Lightwave, etc. A Blender exporter would be great for open source people too. If they really want to kickstart this thing, they need to help us get our stuff into W3D! IMHO

Is anyone having any luck with character animation in anything but 3ds Max?
        • 1. Re: Director 11 - Any exporter improvements?
          Level 7
          This has nothing to do with Director directly but is rather down to
          whatever company/developer's familiarity with the w3d exporter SDK.
          • 2. Re: Director 11 - Any exporter improvements?
            Robert Crowe Level 1
            Well, I know that's the approach that Macromedia and Adobe have traditionally taken -- release and SDK and rely on other vendors to spend time and resources to use the SDK to develop an exporter and support it. I've worked at companies that tried to take that approach.

The problem is, the other vendors need to see a market that justifies the expense of that effort, and as we've seen over the last 10 years or so, few of the vendors sees enough of a market for Shockwave 3D to make more than a token effort. 10 years of trying that approach seems sufficient to know it isn't working. The result is very uneven, buggy support for W3D. This doesn't help build momentum for Director or W3D.

However, Adobe has an opportunity to kick start W3D if they remove that problem by supporting exporters. A free exporter for Blender would go a long way with students and others on a budget. For others major platforms, they could even sell them. I for one would love to buy an exporter for Cinema 4D, and I'm sure Maxon would be happy about that too. As it is, 3ds Max has apparently the only really usable exporter for W3D character animation, and it sells for $3,499.

Limiting their market to developers who can afford to spend $3.5k for an application is not a great way to build the 3D market for Director 11.
            • 3. Re: Director 11 - Any exporter improvements?
              Level 7
              Hi there, The cheaper option to Max is Newtek Lightwave whos w3D exporter
              can handle weight mapped bone animations no problem. See my Elfric toy for
              an example...

www.funpods.com

Cheers
              Richard Smith

"Robert Crowe" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:fpilrq$s0i$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Now that Adobe has announced Director 11, will there be any improvements
              > in the
              > situation with modeling and animation applications exporting W3D? This
              > has
              > been a weak spot for a long time now. I've been banging my head against
              > the
              > wall trying to use Cinema 4D, which exports keyframe based motions just
              > fine
              > but not bones. I can't seem to use any of the great joint / skin stuff
              > that
              > MOCCA has because it doesn't survive the export. It seems as though 3ds
              > Max is
              > the only really usable application, as far as i can tell.
              >
              > It would be great if Adobe could release and support exporters for the
              > others,
              > such as C4D, Lightwave, etc. A Blender exporter would be great for open
              > source
              > people too. If they really want to kickstart this thing, they need to
              > help us
              > get our stuff into W3D! IMHO
              >
              > Is anyone having any luck with character animation in anything but 3ds
              > Max?
              >
              >