7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2012 9:45 PM by Dean Utian

Is there still a development team for Director?

Tracy Evans

Does Adobe still activly develop Director? I know a few years ago the team was down to just a few people. Are they stil around? Is there really any hope of a Director 12?

• 1. Re: Is there still a development team for Director?
          Dean Utian Adobe Community Professional

Hi Tracy,

The answer is YES. There is an Adobe Director development team working on the product.

A short history (from my limited understanding - by no means official) -
          * Up to Director 10 (MX 2004), there was a reasonably sized team at Macromedia.
          * Last few years under Macromedia, size of the team continued to reduce in number.
          * Adobe took over and Director team was expanded and development of the product continued with new releases and a number of free updates.

Today, there is a team and work is under development for an iOS publishing feature, which was demoed at a couple of game conferences this year.

Director is a small fish in the big sea of Adobe. It has not received the focus and resources as other flagship poducts. It does still have an active team.

I'll see if I can get someone from Adobe to post here.

Dean

• 2. Re: Is there still a development team for Director?
            Tracy Evans Level 1

This is all good news. I would like to hear more about the demos done at game conferences. Does anyone have any links or info on these?

I have a small design company that I built on Director developed products. We continue to use it for development to this day, but it becomes more difficult with each passing year. -- Plugins stop working and those developers leave the platform. Bugs that have persisted for years do not get fixed. The product all but vanishes from the Adobe site.--  I am giving up hope.

I would be very interested in hearing more details about the ongoing development of the product.

• 3. Re: Is there still a development team for Director?

Here's one from GDC earlier this year, showing what Adobe has been working on - export for iOS: http://youtu.be/NkCksUp61hg

I have asked someone in the Adobe team if there are any other demos to share. Will keep you posted.

Dean

• 4. Re: Is there still a development team for Director?
                Tracy Evans Level 1

Wow, it is great to see that Di logo on an iPad! Is this a real product? Where do I get it? I have iPad apps in the que waiting for production. I would much rather produce them with Director.

• 5. Re: Is there still a development team for Director?

Hi Tracy,

From what I understand, the XForm Burning Rubber game on the iPad was developed as part of a demo showcase for Adobe Director as the team builds up this capability in the product. I don't think the game is available from the App Store.

Dean

• 6. Re: Is there still a development team for Director?
                    Tracy Evans Level 1

I'm not interested in the game. I want to use the development environment. I was asking if the Director iPad dev environment is a real product from Adobe. Have they talked publicly about it? Is there a beta test program that my development studio can get in on?

• 7. Re: Is there still a development team for Director?

Sorry misunderstood your question.

Yes, Adobe have talked about it publically. Generally, what happens in a beta is not to be discussed. Even if there is is a beta program is something that people involved may be restricted to reveal. However, Adobe have  had sneak peaks of the product and have mentioned the existence of a beta too. 

The iPad feature is real. It is something the Adobe team have revealed at GDC and Casual Connect. In terms of getting onto the beta, send me an email offlist (d.utian@unsw.edu.au) and will advise.

Dean