2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2012 11:14 PM by Mylenium

What are the video effects used in this video

FoxNash

I was just wondering if anybody could help me. I was intrigued to find out what kind of video effect is used in this video at 0:16 - 0:18 and if theres a name for this type of video and editing used throughout the video such as the continous stream of different videos etc.

• 1. Re: What are the video effects used in this video
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you mean the distorted lips or the bad tv reception.

The distorted lips can be anything from Bulge to Mesh Warp to Liquefy.

The bad TV reception can be started with the Bad TV Effects Presets that comes with AE. You can modify or edit these as you like.

I know of no specific style name that goes along with any part of this video other than lazy. It looks like nobody had an idea of what they wanted to do so they just shot a bunch of stuff and threw every effect they had in their bag of tricks at the project. Turn off the sound and it's impossible to tell what it is about. I don't mean to be critical but there's not much original here that I haven't seen a zillion times going back to the Video Toaster days. (probably before you were born). It's nothing more than a bunch of quick cuts and jitter.

Load up about 100 layers, trim them do different lengths from 5 to 30 frames, Select half of them, apply Bad TV1 to that bunch, Apply Bad TV2 to the another 10 random layers. Add tint, bulge, to a few more. set a couple of position and rotate keyframes to a few more then add wiggle to those, then use the Keyframe Assistant to sequence the layers and you'll be pretty close. It should take you about 15 minutes.

If you've got a specific question about how they made this jitter or how they made time stutter ask away. If used to tell a story these techniques are all useful. If you just want to create a jarring montage then follow my suggestion in the previous paragraph then run Brainstorm a couple of times.

• 2. Re: What are the video effects used in this video
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yeah, simply some sort of "Bad TV" effect. anything from Video CoPilot's Twitch to similar effects in other products (Sapphire, Digieffects) to presets and projects you can find on ze web.

Mylenium