35 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2013 4:38 PM by Noel Carboni

CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)

lavrig0001

I would like to understand the business decission (if there is any) why Adobe decided that for new DSLR  cameras support they will update only the Camera Raw version for the current release CS6 and not respecting the legacy for the n-1 release (updating the Camera raw for CS5.1).  This is a serious concern and disapointment.  Does it means that each time Adrobe has a new release , if i chnage the DLSR i am FORCED to upgrade and pay 190$ eventhus I do not need the new release features?

• 1. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
          HowardPinsky Level 4

Hi, Lavrig0001!

To my knowledge, even CS6 with Camera Raw 7.1 doesn't support the Nikon D600 yet. Being a fairly new camera, Adobe hasn't had time to impliment and test what Nikon has provided to them, if that's even happened yet. As each camera is different, the manufaturer, in this case Nikon, needs to provide Adobe with the file support to include in their updates.

That said, once the implimentation is complete, Camera Raw will be updated.

In the meantime, Nikon should have provided software with the camera which may allow you to save out a TIF, which can be opened with Photoshop.

I hope that helps.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
            sudarshan.t Level 6

To add to a beautiful answer Howard has posted, you can look into another thread that was in fact just created a few minutes ago by someone else who just bought a D600 here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4719053#4719053

Lot of people have already posted Feedback on PS site and this will be looked into very soon.

• 4. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
              lavrig0001 Level 1

Thank you Sudarshan

• 5. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello! I noticed that you mentioned CS5.1. Camera Raw will not get updated for that version, BUT the DNG converter will. It is a free application that will let you convert the NEF files to DNG ones that versions of Camera Raw as old as 2.4 will be able to open.

It will be updated at the same time as Camera Raw.

You have more information about DNG on this page: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/extend.displayTab2.html?promoid=DTEHA

• 6. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                  lavrig0001 Level 1

This is what I was afraid of and not happy that i need one extra step conversion .   Do you know if opening a DNG file using Camera Raw will gave access to the same pre-proocess options before opening it in CS as is for NEF?

• 7. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)

Hello, it is a free solution that Adobe gave to the users that purchase a camera after their camera raw update cycle has ended. It will give you the same options in Camera Raw.

• 8. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                      Der-Golem

No ACR support for users of CS5 is awfully painful as:

To the best of my knowledge the DNG converter is not lossless the way working with RAW files is

and

I believe will have to upgrade CS5 to CS6 as Photoshop for CS6, if bought alone, is not fully compatible with the rest of CS5 - and that's quite a lot of money to get one feature.  

• 9. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)

Hello! the DNG conversion gets you the exact same data. Even the unrecognized metadata is copied over in the maker notes.

Adobe always did the same: adding support for newer cameras in ACR in the lifetime of a CS version, then a free DNG support.

The only thing is that Nikon's tools (that you do not seem to use) are not able for the moment to open DNG files. But you can convert a copy of the files.

• 10. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                          Der-Golem Level 1

Thanks for the information: it's much appreciated.   I have used the the Nikon software, but it converts to JPEG and TIFF formats only - I just really liked having one step into photoshop with RAW files and the control and fideility of working with RAW files in Photoshop.

Is there any schedule for when the DNG converter will be updated to handle the new RAW format and when Photoshop CS6 will have this support?

• 11. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)

The only thing we can guess from the past is that Camera Raw is updated at least 4 times a year.

There is a Release Candidate version that does not support the D600 yet. Given the fact that it has just been out for a few days/weeks, it would be a surprise to me if the D600 was officially supported. But the Camera Raw team keep surprising us. Wait and see...

And does Nikon bundle Capture NX2 with the camera? It should allow you to open the files in Photoshop. But of course, you would not have any Smart Objects support, for instance.

I'm really sorry for the situation you are in, but in my opinion, it's mostly the camera manufacturer's fault, when they opt not to use the DNG format.

• 12. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                              Der-Golem Level 1

The bundle includes ViewNX2 only.   There is a trial version of NX2 Capture from Nikon I'm using - but really don't want to start using yet another package when Photoshop is rather the industry standard and is so well integrated with all the other apps I use - like bridge that actually lets me browse!

I just wish that file standards were actually file standards as my older RAW format files work just fine in CS5 - and that support for software adaptors would continue for older versions: not all of us want, or can afford, to update everything every year or so for one or two pieces of functionality!

• 13. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                lavrig0001 Level 1

I will not upgrade CS5 to CS6 and pay 199$ only for a RAW format support.  In the last few years after I integrated NIK SW into CS5, I was not using anymore the Capture NX2  because the Camera RAW offered very good pre-process that compensated for Capture NX2 RAW pre-process settings and the U-point is available on embedded NIK SW. 

And instead of doing a pre-process in NX2 and save it as a TIF for CS, I was opening the RAW directly into Camera RAW, do the pre-process and after continue with CS5 process and save it at the end as TIF.

Now this is what I will have to do:

- open the RAW in Capture NX2

- change if needed any original settings used by the camera (e.g. picture control, WB, camera and lens control....)

- save as TIF to be later open in CS5

- open the TIF directly in CS5 (no reason to use Camera Raw)

Someone suggested that there is no loss if you open a RAW or a TIF file in Camera RAW.  That might be true, but a lot of options can not be used such as: camera profile, lens correction (auto)........

What surprises me is that Camera Raw team decided to not add support in previous release for new cameras that does not require any special changes to their GUI or needs any new capabilities.  D600 is the best example that does not need new camera profiles or anything other than already supported for Nikon DSLR cameras.  There suggestion that can not be propagated in previous release because of changes related to the new camera support is bogus and only an excuse for not spending $$$$ to open the previous SW stream and regress the previous version. 

What is even more funny for Adobe is not that they do not care of customers satisfaction or loyalty, but ca not even see how to make more money:  they could have declare Camera RAW as a free provided embedded component when you buy CS and any future Camera RAW releases out of scope of a CS release will cost $$ to upgrade to.  Hence, you have a new camera and have CS4 or CS5 and dont want to purchase CS6, very simple you pay for upgrade of Camera RAW only .

The current message from Adobe is: if you  upgrade your camera after we have a new CS release: you are screwed for RAW suppor

• 14. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)

You will still be able convert your files to DNG, and they are as raw as your original files, and this for free... Adobe is the only one providing this solution, and it even works in compatible programs, again, for free...

The issues in supporting earlier version would also be quality assurance in many versions, and thus more time between releases...

Also, the new version of Camera Raw has better conversion algorithms, it is not just new cameras that are added.

I understand your frustration, but this is not new, Adobe has always limited new camera support to the shipping version of Camera Raw, that begun ten years ago...

• 15. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)

Hello!  Good news for you: the wait is over:

The Nikon D600 just got preliminary support in the DNG converter(it means that the color rendering might slightly change in future versions, when it will officially be supported) as of today:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/10/camera-raw-7-2now-available.html

So you'll need to launch Bridge, go the File menu select Get Photos from camera. In the Photo downloader, check convert to DNG, your files will then be automatically converted, without any effort from your part. Note that you can rename files, and add metadata (like your copyright) in the same move.

I hope it does ease out your workflow, rather than being the perceived hurdle you were afraid of.

photodownloader.17.54.jpg

• 16. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                      Luanne Seymour Adobe Employee

I'm moving this question to the Adobe Camera Raw forum for specialized attention to your situation.

• 17. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                        Der-Golem Level 1

This process doesn't work from inside CS5 bridge, as CS5 doesn't seem to work with the latest version of the DNG converter and the DNG conversion fails - you are using CS6.   Version 7.2 of the DNG converter works on it's own, but it is slow - 3.5 minutes to convert 10 images on a reasonably well specified machine.

Very clunky sub-optimal solution, and very unhappy with both the non-integration of the conversion processes and lack of support given CS5 is such a recent Adobe product (CS6 was only released in mid May!) - and that Nikon have fooled around with file formats to cause this issue.

No problemn with either product from Adobe and Nikon: both are probably the class leaders - at the moment.   Firms like Microsoft and Oracle (whom I have procured ERP product from) support their old product for clearly stated periods after the release of new product and don't expect you to completely upgrade your system (even an old one) when someone releases a new hardware device: it typically isn't tolerated by commerical users.   Hardware makers usually have more sense than putting their users into a cul-de-sac - without warning - by changing formats to something requires a large upgrade to interface cleanly with very common third-party systems.   And that's all I can say...

• 18. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                          deejjjaaaa Level 2

> You will still be able convert your files to DNG, and they are as raw as your original file

as usual, you forgot to add - only if your raw converter is from Adobe and raw files are not from Sigma cameras... if not then they are not.

• 19. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                            deejjjaaaa Level 2

> The issues in supporting earlier version would also be quality assurance in many versions, and thus more time between releases

which is actually solved by just allowing one or two initial releases of a new generation  of ACR to work w/ a prev. version of Photoshop... as the infamous leaked prerelease of ACR7 perfectly demostrated as possible... so it is purely political decision, which of course Adobe has every right to make.

• 20. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                              Noel Carboni Level 7

lavrig0001 wrote:

The current message from Adobe is: if you  upgrade your camera after we have a new CS release: you are screwed for RAW suppor[t]

I'm thinking more along the lines of their message being:  You have the money to buy new hardware, so you can certainly buy our new software to support it.

The Adobe software you bought doesn't work any worse than it did - it opens all the same files it did when you bought it.  Maybe even more.

If you lose your job, you get unemployment compenstation for a while, then it stops.  You're expected to stop freeloading on the system and pay your way.

If you buy a new car, your warranty runs out after a time.  You're expected to take over maintenance yourself.  And last I looked, the car maker won't bolt parts from the next year's model onto your car.  You can buy an extended warranty, though, and by paying more you can get extended support.

It seems to me you should be happy Adobe gives you new camera support for free in all the ways they already do, and instead of pouting about them not doing it for longer you should be happy you have a choice:  1.  Use the software you have, with the free DNG converter, to continue your work with your new camera, or 2.  Think ahead when considering buying a new camera and realize that you have to budget for software to make it most convenient for you to use.

-Noel

• 21. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                                deejjjaaaa Level 2

there is always a 3rd choice - use another raw converter... Adobe is for profit company and what they do is expected... however I'd rather put a clear (date-wise) policy - any new camera is supported in ACR version that works w/ the prev. version (current minus one) of photoshop if it (camera) was released (official date from manufacturer) within 6 month of the current version of photoshop release (official date)... that's it... and if Adobe feels generous then replace 6 month with 12 month...

• 22. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                                  Noel Carboni Level 7

They'd probably do more for customer satisfaction if another piece of software could do the job.

But they've engineered a modern marvel, and they have no current competition.

Sure, maybe Canon's or Nikon's converter competes with Adobe's PV2010 or earlier.  We all need want PV2012 because it makes our imperfect raw files look better than any other product.

-Noel

• 23. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                                    Noel Carboni Level 7

Noel Carboni wrote:

It seems to me you should be happy Adobe gives you new camera support for free in all the ways they already do

Something else to be happy about that I didn't mention before...  We should be thankful that Adobe maintains support for every digital camera they've ever supported.

Today I can do PV2012 on images I shot in 2004, making them better than I ever could back then.  I can continue to shoot with my 2007 model camera because the images are coming out better than ever.  Adobe has saved me from having to spend another $2K on a camera.

Nothing says Adobe HAD to implement PV2012 to work with all those old models.  They could have just said "PV2012 for all current models and forward".

-Noel

• 24. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                                      deejjjaaaa Level 2

> We should be thankful that Adobe maintains support for every digital camera they've ever supported.

I am yet to use a raw converter that does not...

• 25. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                                        deejjjaaaa Level 2

> Nothing says Adobe HAD to implement PV2012 to work with all those old models.  They could have just said "PV2012 for all current models and forward

because PV2012 has really nothing to do w/ that, w/ a particular camera model... and if you noticed that did not always upgrade all camera profiles while introducing some changes in how they are built.

• 26. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                                          inline23

Lavrig,

Try this one - I had an old CS4 version of PS, but wanted Premier, as I was planning on ordering a D800, which does video.  But it was cheaper just to upgrade to the CS5.5 Master Collection, than buy Premier stand-alone + upgrade PS.  "Cheaper" might not be the right word.  Within 3 months of installing CS5.5, CS6 arrives, and boom, No D800 support for the $2500 boat anchor that I have.  the D800 is literally the ONLY reason I bought the software.  I have no other use for it.  None.  Well, I'd like to learn Illustrator and InDesign, but only for fun.

Think this isn't a pattern?  Someone just emailed an illustrator file, and guess what, I can't open it!  Yep, it's from someone using CS6.

I love the car analogy.  Here is one for you:  You buy a new car, and 3 months later, they update all the roads, and your car can't drive on those roads anymore.  Hey, it's still the same car they sold you though!

But the analogy I really love is the IRS analogy... the one that goes "well if you can afford the new camera, then you can afford the $450 "Adobe tax".  Yep, my upgrade is over twice the $199 you're complaining about.

I can't wait until Google writes a PS-like program, and if I know them - it'll be free.  Adobe might sing a new tune then, I reckon.

-inline

• 27. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                                            Noel Carboni Level 7

inline23 wrote:

the D800 is literally the ONLY reason I bought the software.  I have no other use for it.  None.

Are you saying that with that justification alone you bought software that did not actually support your camera at the time?  Did you forget to actually check? 

You do know that this sotware offers a 30 day free trial, right?

inline23 wrote:

No D800 support for the $2500 boat anchor that I have

I don't know how to do this without making you look a little silly, but please allow me to point out to you that Adobe DID release a version of Camera Raw, 6.7, which runs as part of Photoshop CS5.5,  that actually DOES support your D800 with the software you have.

Perhaps you should consider re-examining your strategy for introducing yourself to people online...  When you don't know what you're talking about maybe you want to consider trying to be a little more humble and actually ASK pertinent questions instead of telling it like it isn't.

-Noel

• 28. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                                              Level 5

inline23,

You know, it never fails.  The more virulent the rant, the greater the probability of PEBKAC.

The update to ACR 6.7 is free.

• 29. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                                                inline23 Level 1

Ah, thanks guys - I am very very happy to eat crow on that one!

The actual point of my post was to make me feel better, and boy did it work!    I did not expect any actual relief, so actually now the post is twice is good as I thought - I was actually wrong!

Anyway, I might mention (I didn't get into all the details) that I actually canceled the order for the d800e (the "e" version was backordered until just recently), as the d600 was just announced as my order was about to process.

So actually I am in the same bad situation as the previous poster, but maybe now I will go back to the d800 - saving a $450 upgrade to CS6 actually saves half the difference in price between the cameras.

And sorry for the rant on the 2 analogies.  It was not a troll.  I vaguely remember in my research that Lightbox comes with ACR, is that true?  Lightbox doesn't come with CS5.5 MC, but I wonder if i were to buy it ($99??) that'll give me the latest ACR that supports the d600, and problem solved.  I assume once i have the latest ACR it'll let me open straight into PS and not make me go through Lightbox and then PS?

Anyway, if that is correct, that would be a much better answer to the original poster (and it saves him $100).  Other good answers (if this Lightbox hack won't work), might be:

"It's an incredible amount of work to support nearly every camera and lens ever made in ACR, so even though it comes free with your software, you don't get free updates once your software moves to a new version."

or

"The d600 began shipping nearly immediately upon announcement, and it takes a while to update the software."  (perhaps the responder didn't realize it, but this was the situation with the d600.)

But the car-story and "if you can afford a new camera, you can afford to pay adobe" were pretty tragic answers - someone needed to call you on it, or you would have only served to upset the original poster.

Ha, PEBKAC, that is pretty good.  Not very easy to pronounce, though.

I must say my last dozen interactions with adobe have all been negative, except this one, so maybe things are turning a new leaf.  You're lucky I didn't get into the story of when my HD crashed, and I had to call Adobe to re-activate my old CS4 PS.  It's awesome getting literally laughed at by the activation help desk person.  (I had owned the software for 3 years at that point, and had only ever activated it once.)  ...who just assumed I was lying.  "here now let me tell you how to deactivate the old version" "the HD is dead, it ain't going to happen" "well let me show you again, because you need to do that..."

Oops, I did get into that story, didn't I?

Best,

Inline

• 30. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                                                  Noel Carboni Level 7

Not to worry, foot-in-mouth disease is something we've all had at one time or another.

But in all seriousness call me all you want (and any name you want) about the reality of things.  I didn't make the rules, but it's not hard to see why they are the way they are...  Basic point is this:  New software is not fundamentally different than new hardware.  It's new technology and giving it away for free just ain't how the world works, I'm sorry to say.

And bad as Adobe is sometimes, Google doesn't write software that competes at all at a professional quality level.  They might be able to compete with Gimp.

-Noel

• 31. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                                                    Yammer Level 4

inline23 wrote:

I must say my last dozen interactions with adobe have all been negative, except this one, so maybe things are turning a new leaf.

Just checking: you know that this is a peer support forum, right? No one is from Adobe, unless it says so under their ID. A small number of participants have worked with the company and have some inside knowledge, but will have signed non-disclosure agreements anyway.

Another couple of points:

Nothing "comes with ACR". ACR is a plug-in which comes with Photoshop/Bridge. It's only treated separately here as it's such a big piece of work, and is updated regularly and independently of Photoshop/Bridge.

I'm guessing that "Lightbox" is supposed to read "Lightroom". Photoshop Lightroom (its full title) is a cheaper alternative to Photoshop/Bridge, with a completely different interface, and limited creative/retouching capabilities when compared with full-blown Photoshop. It can be used on its own, or it can pass its output on to Photoshop for further processing.

Lightroom shares common code with Camera Raw, but the two are separate products. This explains why updates are usually released at the same time.

I think most of us would agree that failing to update a piece of software which was on sale only months ago is poor customer service. But providing support for equipment which didn't exist at the time of sale isn't the same as fixing bugs. It's more like adding new features.

I wouldn't expect Adobe to provide the new tools in succesive versions of Camera Raw for free, just as I wouldn't expect camera manufacturers to install new electronics into older cameras. However, I suspect that providing camera support as a codec-like module is technically possible, and could be built into Camera Raw and Lightroom if the corporate will was there. The existence of DNG Converter is proof of this for me.

But, DNG Converter does exist, and it's free. Camera manufacturers continue to mask their increasing number of new raw formats and nobody complains; Adobe provides a free tool to convert them to an open standard, and it gets the bashing.

• 32. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                                                      Mon451

I find the fact that CS5 will not be updated for the D600 pathetic.  I purchased CS5 just over a year ago and now I'm faced with either yet another conversion process and new file type to add to JPEG and NEF, or another purchase, neither of which I'm willing to do. Adobe makes their products specifically with users of these types of camera in mind and should support your customers better as is the case in any business.  I realise that some blame lies with Nikon but with such an expensive product I believed that I could at least use it for a few years before upgrade.  Adobe - I guess they just take the money and run. 

Time to look somewhere other than Adobe next time, i.e. back to Capture NX.

-Caoimhin

• 33. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                                                        Noel Carboni Level 7

Mon451 wrote:

I find the fact that CS5 will not be updated for the D600 pathetic.

Caoimhin, many folks express this as a first reaction to finding out support was not added for their new camera, but let's think about it for a moment...

Why did you buy a new camera?  To get features you didn't have on your prior camera, right?  Did you have any expectation whatsoever that Nikon might update that old camera, free of charge, with new features? It cost a lot, right?

So why do you expect your software license purchase to come with new features it did not have when you first purchased it?  The engineering of new features does cost both Nikon and Adobe money.

If Nikon would support the open DNG format for its raw files, you would automatically have already had support for the D600's raw files in whatever version of Photoshop you already had.  But Nikon chose NOT to use an open format, preferring to create a new file format for each and every new model (other big name makers do this too).  Is this Adobe's fault?  Now Adobe has to reverse-engineer the files written by every new camera instead of just being able to open them.

Beyond that, if you purchased Photoshop CS5 just over a year ago, that means you bought it very near the end of the lifetime of Photoshop CS5 (Photoshop CS6 was available as a public beta as soon as April 2012).  Did you not think to check whether there would be a new version released soon?

Finally, Adobe DOES offer a "Cloud Subscription" model just for folks like you who expect their software to be continually updated with the latest and greatest new features and camera support.  Why not upgrade to that?

Now, tell us again how this is "pathetic" on Adobe's part?

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
                                                                        • 34. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                                                          Mon451 Level 1

Thanks for your reply.  You are completely correct in your assertion that Nikon should support DNG. ( I guess I'll send them a complaint as well.)

Perhaps 'pathetic' was a bit strong, either way I buy a product based on the support as well as the specs at time of purchase, more so for software than hardware.  Whether the fact that the product I purchased is out of date so soon is a result of Nikon's desire to sell their own software at the expense of Adobe by sticking to their own changing formats or Adobe's understandable desire to save costs or sell new products doesn't really matter to me at the end.  The result, justified or not, is a reluctance to purchase Adobe's products in the future.  Brand loyalty is certainly not enhanced.  This may be Nikon's fault but doesn't change the result for the consumer.  Unfortunately like most camera users I'm tied in to a manufacturer such as Nikon with lenses,etc. more than Adobe and have the option to use free Nikon software for most of my needs.  The fact that it's not as good as Photoshop/Camera Raw is the main reason I purchased CS5 but many of those advantages have now dissappeared.

In answer to your question, I did not think to check whether Adobe were about to release a new version.  I perhaps naively assumed that CS5 would have a life of longer than 6 months for my needs.  Many companies provide updates to software until years after release date to cater for changing products.  Admittedly not all.  An update to CS2 may be unreasonable but I think to CS5 would be expected.

At the end of the day the customer decides which products meet his/her needs.  A few years of updates makes it far more likely that brand loyalty will be established.  Buying new software every 2 years is not really an option for anyone other than a professional photographer.  I'm willing to pay to keep a good product up to date but not after only 1 year.

-C

• 35. Re: CS5.1 support for new DSLR cameras (D600)
                                                                            Noel Carboni Level 7

The one other thing I didn't mention is that Adobe DOES provide free DNG Converter software to convert your Nikon proprietary NEF files to the DNG format, so with the addition of a conversion step to your workflow you conceivably do have full support without paying a penny more.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5486

-Noel