3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2012 4:45 PM by Dov Isaacs

InDesign CS6 Causes System Crash

andresorozco

I installed the trial version of InDesign CS6, When I try to open Mini Bridge my System automatically crashes, I get the "Blue Screen of Death". I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bits. I need help, I'm afraid to open any other tool cuz' it could make my system crash again. Can someone help me?

Thank's.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS6 Causes System Crash
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There’s something a lot more serious going on. An application cannot crash the operating system.

Bob

• 2. Re: InDesign CS6 Causes System Crash
            andresorozco Level 1

But I'm pretty sure that it's InDesign, cuz' it only happens with that software. And also It happened twice when i tried to open mini bridge so, i'm sure it's InDesign, but I don't know what happen.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS6 Causes System Crash
              Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

What Bob is telling you is correct. The way operating systems and application programs work together is that the operating system “catches” any program errors or crashes and results in a “program error” message. Other applications continue to run and the integrity of the system is maintained.

A BSOD, Blue Screen of Death, is the result of either of the following:

(1) An unrecoverable hardware error occurs including problems with memory, disk drive, disk driver controller, video card, CPU, etc.

(2) A programming error occurs in the operating system itself from which the operating system cannot gracefully recover.

(3) A programming error occurs in system level components such as video drivers.

(4) Some combination of the above.

Adobe applications drive the video hardware and video drivers in ways that most other applications don't, often accessing the video card's GPU if the card has one. You may wish to check whether an updated video driver is available for your particular video card. If not, you may try reconfiguring your system to use the standard VGA driver and see if the crashes stop. If they do, then the video driver is the likely cause of the crashes. If the crashes continue you may want to have further diagnostics run on your system, especially memory diagnostics. InDesign does tend to use as much of the memory as you have up to 2GB or main memory. If you are running additional applications concurrent with InDesign, you may be exercising memory that isn't otherwise frequently accessed - and that memory may be problematic.

- Dov