6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2012 5:49 AM by martin82135

Photoshop CS6 Trial doesn't work on Win7

Marcelo Olhe

Greetings!

I installed yesterday the trial version of the CS6 Master Edition on two computers and the photoshop doesn't work on none of them.

Both computer is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits.

The message appearing is like that:

"Could not open a scratch file as the file is locked, it is not necessary to have access permissions or another program using the file. Use the command "Properties" in Windows Explorer to unlock the file" (translated from portuguese, not well writter even in portuguese...)

the question: what file is that? where to find them?

other issue identified, the uninstal of CS6 Master Edition blocks the alteration on the Photoshop.

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS6 Trial doesn't work on Win7
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That's a Photoshop issue and refers to the swap files. Check the PS Prefs und er Edit --> Preferences --> Performance and pick out a suitable drive.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS6 Trial doesn't work on Win7
            Marcelo Olhe Level 1

how I'll do it, if I can't start the photoshop? the message appear and it doesn't start...

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS6 Trial doesn't work on Win7
              Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop General Discussion forum.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS6 Trial doesn't work on Win7
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Are the computers on a network?

Where is the My Documents folder located?

Can you look over this FAQ Entry, and provide all the info requested? http://forums.adobe.com/message/4587299#4587299

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Photoshop CS6 Trial doesn't work on Win7
                  Marcelo Olhe Level 1

the computers are connected at the same router, but not sharing files, there is no network between the computers;

in both computers the Users folder is in a partition different of the system partition (D:/Users);

• What version of Photoshop? Include the minor version number (e.g., Photoshop CS5 with the 12.0.4 update).
                    • I'm installed the CS6 Master Collection, I don't know what is the minor version.
                  • Have you installed the recent updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)
                    • No, I just installed the trial version downloaded from Adobe site
                  • What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac".
                    • I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits
                  • What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.
                    • not applicable.
                  • If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?
                    • as I posted in the first post, the error message is:
                      "Could not open a scratch file as the file is locked, it is not necessary to have access permissions or another program using the file. Use the command "Properties" in Windows Explorer to unlock the file" (translated from portuguese, not well writter even in portuguese...)
                  • What were you doing when the problem occurred?
                    • Opening the Photoshop.
                  • What other software are you running?
                    • at same time, none. I just formatted the computers, installed the Office 2010 and then installed the CS6 Master Collection.
                  • Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?
                    • both computers are Intel Core i5 2nd Gen, with 6Gb RAM, hard disk 640GB. Free space after installing CS6: over 50GB (in a partition of 100GB)
                  • Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Photoshop, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?
                    • No, it's never worked. As I said, I just formatted the computers, installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits, Office 2010 and then the CS6. The others programs is running normally, just not the Photoshop.
                  • 6. Re: Photoshop CS6 Trial doesn't work on Win7
                    martin82135

I had the same issue but I found a solution.

• First I created a folder for each user on the system drive (C:\Users\Martin)
                    • Then I created a hardlink in each folder to the data drive: cmd as administrator -> cd C:\Users\Martin -> mklink /j Temp D:\Users\Martin\AppData\Local\Temp
                    • Finally I changed the environment variables for TEMP and TMP (control panel -> system and security -> system -> advanced system settings on the left -> this launches a new window with the option for changing environment variables) for each user (not globally) to my hardlinks (C:\Users\Martin\Temp)
                    • This must be repeated for each user and the user accouts have to be administrator rights while doing this. Can be changed to a normal user when you're ready.

Hope this was helpful...