26 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2012 9:05 AM by KlausKi

How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?

KlausKi Level 1

I have cut a clip appart and now I need to know at which frame of the clip the new clip fragment starts.

Can someone please enlighten me on where to find this piece of information?

• 1. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
          shooternz Level 6

Use the Short Cut for Match Frame

'F' if I recall correctly.

Clip will open in Source Monitor at the frame . Timecode info wil be available.

• 2. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
            KlausKi Level 1

It seems this isn't quite the solution I'm looking for.

I can find out the beginning frame using this method. But it doesn't show me the last visible clip frame.

This value can't be calculated easily because one would have to add the clip's playback speed into the equation.

• 3. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
              shooternz Level 6

Maybe I am not understanding your issue but Match Frame displays the exact frame that the CTI is positioned on in the timeline as well as showing In and Out points.

• 4. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm confused, too.

• 5. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Try this:

Create a new project.

Import a clip

Create a sequence based on that clip by dropping it on the "New" button.

Cut the clip at exactly 2 seconds, or some other easily recognizable location

Trim it back 15 frames

Place the CTI at the end of the clip in the sequence, and move back one. That way you are looking at the last frame.

Press the "F" key.

If your clip does not show up in the Source Monitor, with the CTI on the same frame that you see in the Program Monitor. then let us know. But if that happens, you have a defective installation of some other really odd problem because it has been this way since the first version of Premiere Pro if I recall correctly.

However, if it works properly. then you can experiment with clips that are not at the beginning of the sequence to get used to trusting the program.

• 6. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                    KlausKi Level 1

I seem to be missing the right words to explain my problem in detail.

So I have created a small movie clip demonstrating my question:

(I'm currently suffering from a tonsilitis, so my voice sounds a bit quirky. Sorry for that.)

• 7. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm willing to admit my own stupidity on this one, but..I still don't get it.

It might come down to a terminology issue.  For example in the video, you're not 'cropping' the clip, you're 'trimming' it.  Two very different things.  Then at the end, you say you want to 'treat' the timecode.  I don't know what that means.  Treat it to dinner and a movie?  Treat it as a hostile witness?  Something else?  It's just not common terminology to 'treat' timecode, so I'm lost.

• 8. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                        KlausKi Level 1

You're making fun of my cold, Jim. That's mean!

Well, I actually didn't say 'treat'. What I was trying to say (but obviously failed to) was: 'retrieve'.

I'm trying to retrieve the timecode of a clip's first and last frame after it has been, well, trimmed.

I must admit, though, that I'm not a native English speaker. So I'd better apologize in advance for any misspelling or wrong term that may come to occur.

• 9. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

What I was trying to say (but obviously failed to) was: 'retrieve'.

Ahhhh, that makes a lot more sense.

Hit CTRL+SHIFT+F.  That will open up the original sequence on the same frame so you can see what timecode it's at.

• 10. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                            KlausKi Level 1

Strange, if I do this at my machine, nothing happens...

What action would this shortcut perform?

I have created another, small, (hypothetical) case here:

As you can see I have added the same video clip to the timeline twice:

Tracks.png

So in the sequence both start at frame 00:00:00:00.

I trimmed both clips in the sequence. (BTW: What would the correct terminology for clips being added to the sequence be? Clips themselves can only reside in the Project window. Sequences may only contain links to those clips... So, just to be able to distinguish both, I'll call these links in a sequence 'clip links' here.) ...Thus, what I actually did was to trim both clip links in the sequence.

As you can see from the thumbnails in the image, I trimmed each of the clip links at different clip positions.

Although both clip links are of same length, I trimmed the clip link in track Video 1 to start at 00:00:00:00 while the clip link in track Video 2 has been trimmed to start at 00:00:15:07.

Correspondingly, the clip link in track Video 1 ends at clip frame 00:00:03:05 while the clip link in track Video 2 ends at clip frame 00:00:18:13.

These are the values I want to retrieve. After trimming I need to know exactly what is the first frame of a clip link that's being displayed.

So I need to acquire the 00:00:00:00 - 00:00:03:05 for that clip link in track Video 1 and the 00:00:15:07 - 00:00:18:13 for the clip link in track Video 2.

• 11. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                              shooternz Level 6

Just a thought... but open the Info Window , select the clip ..and it might show you the In and Out point along with the Duration etc

I only use it for Duration so have not thought to look at it as regards TC IN /Out info.

• 12. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                                KlausKi Level 1

No, I'm afraid.... The Information window only displays the sequence timeline position of a clip link, but not the clip link's trimmed in and out point.

• 13. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                                  shooternz Level 6

Right.

I saw your video.

Select the clip, Target the track ..position the CTI and use the Match Frame shortcut.

BTW ...if its a matter of duplicating the same clip.  ALT- Drag it and you have a copy with identical properties and I/O

• 14. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                                    KlausKi Level 1

That's it! Great! Thanks a lot.

Gee, that was hell of a big baby

Anyway, these are quite a number of parameters interacting to finally get to these values. I would never have found out this construction myself.

Thanks for helping me out on this, guys!

I actually need this to align different links of the same clip next to each other. Sure, not the best situation I found myself in a few days ago, but I didn't want to undo loads of steps just to be able to use a single clip link there.

Regards,
                                    Axel

• 15. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Clips themselves can only reside in the Project window. Sequences may only contain links to those clips

No, it's standard to call it a 'clip' in the sequence as well.  Sometimes people call it a 'clip instance', but that's a bit unwieldy for common usage, so 'clip' will do.

• 16. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

After trimming I need to know exactly what is the first frame of a clip link that's being displayed.

Well then we're back to Craig's answer in post 1.

Hit F.  This open the clip in the Source Monitor with In and Out points for that clip instance.

• 17. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                                          KlausKi Level 1

Hi Jim,

Jim Simon wrote:

No, it's standard to call it a 'clip' in the sequence as well.

I see. - I found it necessary to find a distintive term because some of the replies mentioned my original question didn't get clear.

Jim Simon wrote:

Well then we're back to Craig's answer in post 1.

Not quite:

1. The original post did not mention to select a track in addition to selecting a clip instance in addition to moving the CTI to the first frame of the clip instance.
                                          2. The proposed solution still doesn't help telling what's the last frame of the clip instance.

Particularly (2) is not easy to retrieve:

If the clip instance is to play the clip in 100% speed then the last frame may be calculated from firstFrame + clipInstanceLength.

But if the clip instance's playback speed has been changed or time remapping has been applied, it's currently impossible to retrieve the actually displayed last frame of the clip instance.

Missing this information it seems very hard to align a second clip instance to the first without generating glitches.

• 18. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I could be wrong, but I think I may actually understand the problem. The idea is to know the exact frame from the original clip. KlausKi wants the first frame from the trimmed clip and the last frame from the trimmed clip.

This is the first time I have tried to use this software to create a screen capture, and it is early in the morning for me, before breakfast even, so my voice quality is poor and the narration is not as snappy as usual. But let's give this a try and see if I got this right. I have no idea why the screen flashes the way it does, but I will look into that later. I can't sem to make it default to HD, but it was recorded and exported at 1920X1080. So you will probably have yo tell it to be HD yourself.

• 19. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                              1. The original post did not mention to select a track in addition to selecting a clip instance in addition to moving the CTI to the first frame of the clip instance.
                                              2. The proposed solution still doesn't help telling what's the last frame of the clip instance.

Fair enough on number 1.  (You can also just double click the clip.)  But 2 does load the clip with both In and Out points marked, even if the speed has been changed.

In and Out.png

In and Out 2.png

• 20. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                                                shooternz Level 6

Missing this information it seems very hard to align a second clip instance to the first without generating glitches

Not sure exactly  what you are doing ...but seems like you need to align a duplicate ( second identical instance) clip  above the original.

ALT-Click Drag it there

• 21. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                                                  KlausKi Level 1

Thanks so much, Steven, for providing me with this thoughful video.

Actually by trying to reproduce your video I accidentally have found this interesting solution to my problem:

(My nose is still stuffed. So please excuse my pronunciation. I'm signed off work this week. This allows me to spend some time with Premiere Pro here. But, well, I guess I should better stay in bed than doing computer stuff right now )

BTW, Steven, I don't know the reason why, but YouTube does not automatically show clips in high resolution. So to switch a YouTube video to high resolution you need to click the cog wheel icon in the lower right corner of the video set the resolution to HD.

I'm using Camtasia Studio to do screen recordings. It seems you're using this software, too. To me it looks like you might be having trouble with your video driver?

• 23. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                                                    KlausKi Level 1

Thanks, Jim, for supplying the video. I couldn't play it back, though, I'm afraid. Neither in Firefox nor in IE. Is there some special requirement with this clip?

Actually, I know about the time remapping feature. My question was indeed just how to retrieve the in and out point of a clip instance. As I said in my video, the project I used was just a simple example to get to the point.

• 24. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                                                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I could not watch the clip either. So, because I am stubborn, I clicked on the name of the clip down in the menu under "More Episodes". It played that time.

Back to your video. I can't understand what you said at the end. If you slow the clip down and then trim the clips, the second part will not start where you left off.

But if you are trying to slip the edit, you need to select the slip tool before you doubleclick so you can slip the end of the first one and the beginning of the second one.

1 person found this helpful
                                                      • 25. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Strange.  The clip worked fine for me (Firefox Nightly).

• 26. Re: How to retrieve a clip's in and out point?
                                                          KlausKi Level 1

Nope, tried again today, but to no avail. Even clicking any of the hyperlinks pointing back to this video didn't work (Flash 11.3.374.7, FF 15.0.1, IE 10, Windows 8 - 64 Bit). Screen kept all black.

@Steven:

I see now... Excellent!

Problem solved. Thank you for all your efforts here.