12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 9:23 AM by the_wine_snob

media not showing as used

Drewsons Level 1

APE 10:  I have a project where the media view is not showing the "USED" media correctly.  Most of the media showing in the timeline is not showing as used.  Is there a way to correct this?

• 1. Re: media not showing as used
          the_wine_snob Level 9

If I understand correctly, you are saying that in the Project Panel, there are no, or incorrect checkmarks in the Used column. Is that correct?

I cannot recall of an issue with the Used column, but maybe I missed it.

Hunt

• 2. Re: media not showing as used
            Drewsons Level 1

there are no, or incorrect checkmarks in the Used column. Is that correct?

YES

In a project with about 15 clips and several stills only 2 files are showing as "used" with checkmarks in media view

• 3. Re: media not showing as used
              Drewsons Level 1

Bill,

Is there an APE 10 process that I can run that would update the media display.  The project was created with APE 8.

• 4. Re: media not showing as used
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The project was created with APE 8.

I wonder if this has any bearing on what you are observing? In general terms, most older Projects can be opened and edited in newer version of the program, BUT there can be problems, and that is why one most oftens reads the admonition to finish a Project in the version, in which it was started.

As for any conversion, or updating of a PREL, that should happen, when the old Project is Opened in the newer version of the program. That "Used" checkmark might be one of the things, that falls through the cracks when migrating versions?

One thing that you might try, regarding the linking of files, and MAYBE an updating of Used (?), would be to do the following (Note: this could be easy, or more difficult, depending on how one has created their folder structure, and populated those with their Assets, prior to Import):

1. Close PrE.
                2. In Windows Explorer, create a new folder structure, for the Assets. This could be on a different HDD, or just below a different root folder on the same HDD.
                3. Move all Assets to this/these new location(s). Make note of the new location.
                4. Launch PrE and Open the Project.
                5. One should get the "Where is file ____ ?" dialog box at that point, and then, with the Finder in that dialog, just navigate to the location of the first file requested. When that has been located, PrE will survey that folder, and re-link to every Asset in that folder, used in the Project automatically.
                6. As I always structure my folders to separate the Asset Types, such as Video, Audio, Stills, etc., I would then encounter the "Where is file ___ ?" for the next set of missing Assets, and have to navigate to that next folder, and then to the next. When one file, in each folder HAS been located, all other Assets, used in that Project and residing in that folder, will be re-linked.

When done, I would do a Save_As, incrementing the Project's name, up 1. I try to NEVER overwrite any Project file.

Whether this method will update the Used column, I cannot say, but by re-establishing those Asset links, everything should now be updated - but for the Used column, I cannot say.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: media not showing as used
                  Drewsons Level 1

Bill,

My problem is worse than I thought.  These 40 projects were on a computer that crashed and I moved all of the media and projects to another computer.  Each time I opened a project APE 10 required me to relocate all of the files as you outlined in your steps 1-6.  After locating all of the files, the project opened and played correctly. All files were correct in the timeline.  But not all of the files were in the media view and in some cases the media file was in the media view but not marked as USED.

I assume that there must be a function in APE 10 that will correct this inconsistancy.

I have also found that when I archive the project the errors in the media view continue in copied archive (not trimmed).  In other words, in the project there are media files in the timeline that are not in the media view and these files do not appear in the archived project folder. When I open the archived project (copied) all of the files are in the timeline but not in the media view and not in the archived project folder.

This is unacceptable.  I need to resolve this issue with ADOBE.

• 6. Re: media not showing as used
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you used the Project Archiver to move your files to your new computer, you should not have this problem.

Did you use the Project Archiver to move your files?

• 7. Re: media not showing as used
                      Drewsons Level 1

My problem is worse than I thought.  These 40 projects were on a computer that crashed and I moved all of the media and projects to another computer.  Each time I opened a project APE 10 required me to relocate all of the files as you outlined in your steps 1-6.  After locating all of the files, the project opened and played correctly. All files were correct in the timeline.  But not all of the files were in the media view and in some cases the media file was in the media view but not marked as USED.

I assume that there must be a function in APE 10 that will correct this inconsistancy.

I have also found that when I archive the project the errors in the media view continue in copied archive (not trimmed).  In other words, in the project there are media files in the timeline that are not in the media view and these files do not appear in the archived project folder. When I open the archived project (copied) all of the files are in the timeline but not in the media view and not in the archived project folder.

This is unacceptable.  I need to resolve this issue with ADOBE.

• 8. Re: media not showing as used
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

So you DIDN'T use the Premiere Elements Project Archiver? That would have prevented this problem.

• 9. Re: media not showing as used
                          Drewsons Level 1

Steve,

As I indicated when I moved all of the projects and files from a crashed computer this problem surfaced. No I did not use the Premiere Elements Project Archiver to move the files to the new computer.

APE 10 must have a method to clen up my problem and get the media files displaying correctly.  I need to solve this issue not ponder how it happened.

Can you direct me to an ABOBE tech support person who can help resolve my problem.

I have 40 projects that were on a computer that crashed and I moved all of the media files and projects to another computer.  I did not change the file structure.  Each time I opened a project APE 10 required me to relocate all of the files on the new computer.  After locating all of the files, the project opened and played correctly. All files were correct in the timeline.  But not all of the files were in the media view and in some cases the media file was in the media view but not marked as USED.  When I archive a project the copy has the same problems as the project.

• 10. Re: media not showing as used
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, if Moving the Assets, then launching PrE, and following the dialog at "Where is file ___ ?" (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/990503?tstart=0) did not clean up all links, and reset things, I cannot imagine how else one might correct things - sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: media not showing as used
                              Drewsons Level 1

Bill,

How do I contact Tech Support at ADOBE to help me with my fundamental issue?

• 12. Re: media not showing as used
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I would start here: http://helpx.adobe.com/contact/

Good luck,

Hunt