10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 11:19 AM by artistin805

no previews for PSD docs in mac finder

uhanepono Level 1

Hi Chris etal in the forum, I have no previews for just PSD docs in the mac finder for a week or so now. I can see other types of doc previews. I run snow leopard on a mac book pro that is about 2 years old. Oddly enough the trouble BEGan for me after running a normal maintainence script in ONYX (I clean the cashe about once a week or so). Could be coincidence. I just installed the little "patch' from adobe but that does not help. I can see the previews in the com/4 view but in com/3, where I usually hang out, there is no preview and pressing the space bar for quick look is the same, with no preview. Can anyone give me advise about what to do? It would be greatly appreciated. aloha, Uhane

• 1. Re: no previews for PSD docs in mac finder
          sudarshan.t Level 6

It must be one of the two reasons:

• Can you open your PSD in Photoshop and 'Save As' a different filename - this time, ensure 'Maximize Compatibility' checkbox is checked. Preview this document to see if it works
          • Another reason could be the color profile. Are you sure you're embedding the 'color profile' with your PSD when saving it? Refer screenshot below:

embedprofile.png

• 2. Re: no previews for PSD docs in mac finder
            uhanepono Level 1

Thank you for your reply. For some reason I did not get an email notice about it. I have no previews for any of my PSD files no matter what settings. I will explore some of these things you mention and get back to this thread to let you know. thanks again, Uhane

• 3. Re: no previews for PSD docs in mac finder
              uhanepono Level 1

Hello, More on the preview problem. It turns out to be a problem only for PSD docs with layers. merged or flattened PSD docs have previews. the color profile and the filename were moot issues. I like to leave color profiles opened ended when conpositing (importing) many different docs as smart objects layers. I have more dittle room that way later. So the problem still remains a strange unsolved mystery....

• 4. Re: no previews for PSD docs in mac finder
                conroy Level 5

Layered documents will be previewed by Finder and Quick Look if you save with "Maximize Compatibility" enabled. The cost is an increase in file size because of the compatibility image(s) which will be embedded in the file.

Screen shot 2012-09-28 at 21.59.57.png

• 5. Re: no previews for PSD docs in mac finder
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

For what it's worth - and this is just an informational tidbit, being Windows info it can't help uhanepono directly - the folks who make various codecs and viewers for Windows offer varying levels of support for PSD files saved without the compatibility option...  For those that do try to composite the layers in PSD files, they often do a pretty good job, but not always.

For example, here's what Photoshop and the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack make of a multi-layer shape and text document with some Photoshop CS6-only features in it:

CodecPerformance.jpg

I guess enough of it is showing via the codec that you could pick it out, but as I mentioned, the task of interpreting the layers in a PSD file is a big one, and no software outside of Photohop itself seems to get it just right.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: no previews for PSD docs in mac finder
                    conroy Level 5

I've been unable to find a Quick Look extension (Finder preview employs QL) which can build a composite from layers in a PSD.

By the way, a quick google just now revealed a related thread in which I posted last month: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1055374?start=0&tstart=0

• 7. Re: no previews for PSD docs in mac finder
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

conroy wrote:

I've been unable to find a Quick Look extension (Finder preview employs QL) which can build a composite from layers in a PSD.

That's a shame, because the concept can work, though I can't imagine taking on the task of compositing layers just to make a codec or Quick Look extension, but hey - the authors who've done it do sell product.

Here's a case where the FPV codec works fine:

CodecWorking.jpg

It's damned handy when the thumbnails and previews actually work, and frankly this kind of integration really is something Adobe ought to provide.  They removed their codec way back when they had trouble because they apparently didn't have the savvy to get it right, claiming at the time that Windows was giving them trouble.  Either those rules have changed or there are smarter people out there, as the software I have been showing above does seem to work without causing system faults or usability problems.

-Noel

• 8. Re: no previews for PSD docs in mac finder
                        uhanepono Level 1

Hi all. Back in the thread. I have not been getting emails regarding new comments on this thread so excuse my lack of replying earlier, please. I did as you said Conroy, and turned on the combatability and the preveiws are showing again on layered docs!  I don't remember turning that option off in preferences but it must have defaulted back to that setting somehow (gremlins?) (pixies?) and that was the problem. Now there is quick look, thumbs and previews for all layered files I've saved since. The only thing I can think of is that it began after running an onyx maintainence script, deleting the user cashe that PS6 uses. I am running a mac macbook pro some 2 years old retrofitted with snow leopard (I hated lion's wanna-be ipad UI). Everything just dandy now concerning things in this thread. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble too, some of you here in the thread with PCs. I hope you find a developer who is working on this issue. Perhpas adobe has one on this very issue as we speak! aloha, and thanks for you help, Conroy and the input from everyone else! Uhane

• 9. Re: no previews for PSD docs in mac finder
                          Glamourpixel

Still, in Photoshop CC 2015 the MAC finder does not show PSD files correctly, if layers are included.

Even if I save with max compatibility, color profile and thumbnail alwas.

Are there any additional tipps for this inconvenience?Bildschirmfoto 2015-06-29 um 14.19.32.png

• 10. Re: no previews for PSD docs in mac finder
                            artistin805

I tried the fix ideas, and it didn't help my situation. Adobe PS CC 2015.1.1

I found it was something with the background.

So if possible try hiding your background layer/s you have.

FYI - I also kept the 'Maximize..' enabled to 'ask' as well.