15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2012 12:21 PM by JustinC123

Choppy Playback on a system that once ran it smooth...

AudoWarp Level 1

Has CS6 caused anyone else to lose smooth playback?

My system ran CS5 and played the video smooth (Canon DSLR footage)

i7 940, 12GB RAM, GTX 480 with the hack.....9 hard drives--RAID's....(0,10)

Before I get into the system spec details, has anyone else noticed a decrease in performance in CS6?

• 1. Re: Choppy Playback on a system that once ran it smooth...
          AudoWarp Level 1

Well, I still have CS5 installed, so I tried the same files in it...

They don't run so smooth--like I remember them to....

When I pull up evga monitor, the GPU usage barely goes up to 6%....

Why can't Premiere throw more at the card?

• 2. Re: Choppy Playback on a system that once ran it smooth...
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Your GPU usage is perfectly normal, I just played back an ultra complex timeline and the peak usage was 6%  How are your disk drives, are they filling up over 50-60 %, have they been defragmented, is indexing turned off?  Are you turning off your anti; virus, spam, spyware, etc?

I have not noticed any playback problems with my typical short timlines.What is your media?  Have you upgraded to 6.02? 

• 3. Re: Choppy Playback on a system that once ran it smooth...
              JFPhoton Level 3

....somewhere on this forum I saw others complaining specifically regarding touble with smooth playback of some DSLR files with CS6 and 5.5....including those Canon MOV wrapped files.  I'm still on 5.03, partly because of that.  I recall Jeff Bellune suggesting to change the file extension from.MOV to MP4, in order to fool PPro that it is importing a 64 bit file, and to keep it from triggering the 32 bit Quicktime Importer, ( which supposedly slows things down ). I believe I remember seeing that Adobe was aware of this and was working on a fix. I am not sure about if the changing of the extension works....worth a try!!

• 4. Re: Choppy Playback on a system that once ran it smooth...
                AudoWarp Level 1

So a yellow line over the timeline doesn't mean PPRo can play it back smoothly?

• 5. Re: Choppy Playback on a system that once ran it smooth...
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

It is still dependent on many other things. 

1. What is your media?
                  2. Have you tuned your system?
                  3. How many total processes do you have running?   (They are also using memory and potentially also CPU cycles.)
                  4. As JFP said "the 32 bit Quicktime Importer, ( which supposedly slows things down )"  has to use the internal network to go from the 64-bit application to the 32-bit Quicktime application and then back to the 64-bit Premiere. This adds a lot of overhead to processing data.
                  5. As your disks become full the read and write times slow down significantly.
                  6. Run our PPBM5.5 benchmark and see how your system ranks.  Then look at the results page for just the version that you running and compare your results to the other CPU's of that family (quad-core i7-9xx CPU's).  The first score on your Output-mpe.txt file that you get is the Disk I/O disk intensive score.  The next two scores are MPEG2-DVD and H.264 scores and these are CPU/GPU related scores
                  • 6. Re: Choppy Playback on a system that once ran it smooth...
                    FloridaG

I just posted on a thread I created about adjusting the Windows Visual Effects, it fixed my playback issues from what I can tell although they were never "choppy" , there were slight artifacts and almost a ripple/tearing effect at times. Not any more, I cant reproduce the behaviour once I choose let Windows decide whats best for my computer. Worth a try.

• 8. Re: Choppy Playback on a system that once ran it smooth...
                      JFPhoton Level 3

.....uncheck the "fade options"........see what happens

• 10. Re: Choppy Playback on a system that once ran it smooth...
                        JFPhoton Level 3

...do the PPBM5 test,like Bill suggested.....will tell you how your system is performing, and maybe any bottleneck...

• 11. Re: Choppy Playback on a system that once ran it smooth...
                          JFPhoton Level 3

.....also, clear your caches...and switch between GPU acceleration and software acceleration.....

• 12. Re: Choppy Playback on a system that once ran it smooth...
                            AudoWarp Level 1

What "caches"?

How do I clear my caches?

Also, I tried to run PPBM once with no luck

• 13. Re: Choppy Playback on a system that once ran it smooth...
                              FloridaG Level 1

Well I guess that what I experienced isn't particularly common,.as perhaps.most people  arent even messing with the settings I mentioned.

I would.be pretty shocked if it were disk.speed unless you were trying.to playback uncompressed HD.

Have you.installed any of the freebie code.packs that are on the internet? Have you tried to playback something.like a Prores file which would only decode in QuickTime so at least you know which decoder is forced.

• 14. Re: Choppy Playback on a system that once ran it smooth...
                                JFPhoton Level 3

.....not knowing what "caches " are could be a clue to your problem.....when importing video files into PPro, PPro "conforms" those files,(i.e. creates temporary files used in the editing process). In addition, if you are generating "preview files" by clicking "render entire work area",( under the sequence tab), you are generating even MORE temporary files. All these files not only take up space......without fast communication with them, performance can slow....esp. if those files are not placed on the proper drive!!

Once done editing a project, you can get rid of those files ,( of course NEVER get rid of your SOURCE video files,or, PROJECT FILES). These files are easily re-created by PPro when re-opening a project....as long as the source files are still in the same location! There is more than one way to clear these files out....one thing is to go to sequence tab and click " delete rendered files".......that gets rid of the previews for that sequence only. Look up how to "clear media cache",( which can be large temporary video and audio files). Also, there is a smaller "data cache" that can be cleared.

Once done with all that, you must make sure :

1.   your HDDs are not more than 50-60% full, as the performance will slow way down.....( unless you have a large RAID array).

2. Make sure " indexing" and "compression" are TURNED OFF on your HDDs, ( right click under each drive "properties" tab).

3. HDDs are defragmented....then, test speed of HDDs with HD Tune Pro,or, similar to insure running well.

4. Make sure Windows "pagefile" is set correctly....minimum 1.5 x installed system memory.......set it to be "static" on the fastest  of your

drives, where you have plenty of room for it.

5. Follow the instructions carefully on the PPBM5 test and run it....a couple of times, at least.    This will indicate how well your setup is doing...the test will uncover which area you may have a bottleneck in!! You need to successfully run that test. The various categories indicate : CPU performance, GPU performance, disk performance. You already should be fine with the memory,however,

you can allocate the memory allowed to use by PPro in the settings...check that....see if it is enough.

In conclusion, it appears you may need to read more in depth here on this forum and also the instructions from the program itself regarding operation of the program and " Windows tuning" suggestions to eliminate problems coming from too many processes running, anti-virus program interference,etc.. This forum is invaluable....if you dig long enough, you will find many answers to problems...good luck!

P.S. I was wrong........12 GB system memory is NOT optimal for PPro.....esp. with CS6!!!   With CS6, users are reporting a minimum of 32GB needed for best performance. Even with 5.03, there is a performance difference between 12 and 16GB memory! Check to see that you not only have enough memory,but, that it is installed correctly to take advantage of "triple channel " memory configuration. Also, check to see that you have the most recent driver installed from NVidia for your video card and that all the most recent Windows updates have been installed.

Message was edited by: JFPhoton

• 15. Re: Choppy Playback on a system that once ran it smooth...
                                  JustinC123 Level 1

JFPhoton wrote:

.....not knowing what "caches " are could be a clue to your problem.....when importing video files into PPro, PPro "conforms" those files,(i.e. creates temporary files used in the editing process). In addition, if you are generating "preview files" by clicking "render entire work area",( under the sequence tab), you are generating even MORE temporary files. All these files not only take up space......without fast communication with them, performance can slow....esp. if those files are not placed on the proper drive!!

Once done editing a project, you can get rid of those files ,( of course NEVER get rid of your SOURCE video files,or, PROJECT FILES). These files are easily re-created by PPro when re-opening a project....as long as the source files are still in the same location! There is more than one way to clear these files out....one thing is to go to sequence tab and click " delete rendered files".......that gets rid of the previews for that sequence only. Look up how to "clear media cache",( which can be large temporary video and audio files). Also, there is a smaller "data cache" that can be cleared.

Once done with all that, you must make sure :

1.   your HDDs are not more than 50-60% full, as the performance will slow way down.....( unless you have a large RAID array).

2. Make sure " indexing" and "compression" are TURNED OFF on your HDDs, ( right click under each drive "properties" tab).

3. HDDs are defragmented....then, test speed of HDDs with HD Tune Pro,or, similar to insure running well.

4. Make sure Windows "pagefile" is set correctly....minimum 1.5 x installed system memory.......set it to be "static" on the fastest  of your

drives, where you have plenty of room for it.

5. Follow the instructions carefully on the PPBM5 test and run it....a couple of times, at least.    This will indicate how well your setup is doing...the test will uncover which area you may have a bottleneck in!! You need to successfully run that test. The various categories indicate : CPU performance, GPU performance, disk performance. You already should be fine with the memory,however,

you can allocate the memory allowed to use by PPro in the settings...check that....see if it is enough.

In conclusion, it appears you may need to read more in depth here on this forum and also the instructions from the program itself regarding operation of the program and " Windows tuning" suggestions to eliminate problems coming from too many processes running, anti-virus program interference,etc.. This forum is invaluable....if you dig long enough, you will find many answers to problems...good luck!

P.S. I was wrong........12 GB system memory is NOT optimal for PPro.....esp. with CS6!!!   With CS6, users are reporting a minimum of 32GB needed for best performance. Even with 5.03, there is a performance difference between 12 and 16GB memory! Check to see that you not only have enough memory,but, that it is installed correctly to take advantage of "triple channel " memory configuration. Also, check to see that you have the most recent driver installed from NVidia for your video card and that all the most recent Windows updates have been installed.

Message was edited by: JFPhoton

Some great advice there and very useful. Thanks for sharing that.