4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2012 9:08 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign CS5 crashing when exporting to PDF - large image?

vikkineal1980

Hi can anyone help?

I'm working with some rather large files in InDesign - it's a layout for a vinyl banner. It contains one image, created at 1/2 size @ 600dpi - 1500 mm x 850 mm. The file size generating is 1.25GB. I can't save in any format other than tif, psb, raw. I've gone with tif.

So, I've placed the image above into my document and need to send to the printers to do a resolution test. Unfortunately, when exporting to a high quality PDF, it hangs and InDesign crashes.

I know the image is probably the cause of the issue, but really not sure what I can do about that?

Crash report is here - http://pastebin.com/EBNxE8fS

If anyone can offer any advice on a) how I can save the image as a print acceptable format that DOESN'T create a humongous file size OR b) whether there are any settings i can cgane in InDesign to handle this better?

Thanks

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing when exporting to PDF - large image?
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could try saving it as a TIFF - and you can use zip compression on the TIFF - that should shrink the size of the image down.

When you export the PDF make sure in the compression area of the PDF dialog box that you select ZIP there too.

To be honest - the smallest file size you'll get is probably a JPG - if you're not too fussy then that's what I'd use.

300ppi for a banner photo is pretty high - you only really need that much resolution for magazine - when you're reading it at arms length.

You  could probably drop the resolution to 220 or even 150. The last pull up stand I did the image resolution was 30ppi and it looked fine from the distance it was viewed at.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing when exporting to PDF - large image?
            vikkineal1980 Level 1

Hiya

Thanks for the reply - and yes, I thought the ppi was too high as well HOWEVER thats the specs advised by the production house. I've managed to get the file to export using a ppi of 500 - so it will print at 250ppi full size - which i think is ok, anything above that and my machine just doesn't want to play.

I will try and use the zip compression and see what they results in. Unfortunately, becuase of the size and ppi, I'm only given the 3 file format options to save in as above.

I've explained the situation to my production house and am awaiting their reply. These banners, although will possibly be seen up close, won't in no way be viewed at arms length.

Thanks for your help

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing when exporting to PDF - large image?
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yeh 300 ppi is a rule of thumb thing - it's not an exact number for all printing purposes.

I wouldn't be too bothered with 250ppi it will look fine I'd imagine.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5 crashing when exporting to PDF - large image?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Your output service may have reasons for wanting to output with 300 ppi effective at print size, but I've never has a problem with banners output at 150 ppi at full size.