10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2012 11:27 AM by LeeXiaoLoong

How to zoom into a mask

LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

hello guys, i have a question about zoom inside a mask

i have recorded my keyboard for a tutorial, i've used a mask to select the area of my interest

is there a way to zoom inside the mask without make the mask lines become bigger?

just a zoom on a button

like this

in this mask are showed the 4 directional cross

is i want to zoom on just one cross how can i do this? i used the mask to select just the 4 buttons but now how can i zoom to just 1 of them and then return to view all 4 buttons?

i hope you understand me

this is the image, i want to zoom on the button STAMP R SIST but inside the mask so the mask must be stucked in that place with that size

Immagine.jpg

• 1. Re: How to zoom into a mask
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

You usually use a mask on bitmapped footage like video, pictures and also solids. 

Vector footage like Illustrator files can also use masks, but you would normally use a duplicated Illustrator layer as a  track matte to preserve image resolution.  You wouldn't normally use a mask in a case like that.

If you zoom into a bitmapped image past a scale of 100%, you start losing image sharpness.  Is this what you have in mind?

• 2. Re: How to zoom into a mask
            LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

no

the image ive uploaded is a part of a video

im recording a video tutorial

now my keybord is big so the buttons can't be read

now i want to zoom on a single button but without zoom the entire mask

cause if i just zoom the image or modify the scale i can read perfectly every letters but the mask become very big and it will cover the background video...

so inside that mask (the mask is the size of the keyboard) i want to zoom to a particular button

is possible do this? just zoom the image INSIDE the mask lines... without zoom the mask lines

• 3. Re: How to zoom into a mask
              Dave LaRonde Level 6
              1. Duplicate the keyboard layer TWICE.  Turn off the middle and lower layers' visibility for a moment.
              2. Make a mask around the key on the TOP layer.
              3. Parent the upper layer to the middle layer.
              4. Turn on the middle and bottom layers' visibility.  Highlight the middle layer, and use the top layer as an Alpha Matte.

When you animate the MIDDLE layer's scale  the key that you masked will grow.  If you don't have a picture that has more resolution than the comp, the image quality of the key will get worse as the the key gets bigger.

• 4. Re: How to zoom into a mask
                LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

done but the image just become bigger, the mask too so it's just a scale increase... maybe im following wrong the guide but why i need 3 layer if i just modify the top and never the middle and lower?

anyway does not work... can you make a screenshot with the wole configuration? i will copy the configuration

• 5. Re: How to zoom into a mask
                  LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

look i can achieve a part of this effect using a new regolation level, create a mask and invert the mask then remove the black and white simbol of the level (the effects applied to this level will be applayer to all other level below this one)

look the effects, i zoomed the keyboard so it's bigger but is delimited by a rectangle, but this rectangle is white outside and cover all my desktop

how can i remove the white?

ive tryied all fusion method but nothing...

how can i achieve this objective?Immagine.jpg

• 6. Re: How to zoom into a mask
                    Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Get a closer look at Dave instructions.

AE. Zooming a Key.jpg

• 7. Re: How to zoom into a mask
                      LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

yeah i got this result but this is not the result that i want XD

it's hard to explain... technically...

i have a mask ok?

a 50x50 mask

inside i have a figure of 25x25 ok?

i want to increase the size of this figure to 75x75 but i must see only 50x50 so the other 25x25 part out of the mask must be invisible

i hope you understand me, i know my english is terrible

• 8. Re: How to zoom into a mask
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

Start over again.  Follow the instructions you got from me and Fuzzy Barsik.  It will work.  Sometimes the solutions in After Effects are not the ones you thought about using originally.  You need to open your mind.

• 9. Re: How to zoom into a mask
                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Not sure I follow...

In the case above you see your original masked keyboard on the background - this is the lower layer. Its size remains the same all over the time.

And you see increased 'Insert' key above your original keyboard. Mask around the 'Insert' key hides the rest of the keyboard in upper and middle layer. While you are animating the scale of the middle layer, the size of the key is naturally growing from the keyboard. That's how you normally do such sort of presentation.

If that's not what you want, and you want the whole keyboard would increase in size, but visible area would remain limited by your mask, then duplicate your keyboard just once, set upper layer as Alpha Matte for the lower one and then animate lower layer scale.

• 10. Re: How to zoom into a mask
                            LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

it will work for sure but i don't want to zoom just a key, i want to zoom the whole keyboard... anyway ive found the soluzion making a precomposition and make the composition the size of the keyboard so when i zoom i see everything bigger but the keyboard is out of the composition so i get the effect i want

i have to open my mind too much XD

*go to buy an hammer*

thank you all anyway you always help me and i always stress you XD