4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2012 12:16 PM by Peter Spier

Multiple Records Data Merge issue

arteen

Hi all, could really use some help here, I've been trying to solve this for hours now:

Made 3 different designs for labels that I'm printing based off of Avery label templates for InDesign. When I go ahead to do my data merge on any of them, I select "Multiple Records" under Records per Document Page, but the preview and the actual creation just spit out a single unique label onto each new page. For example, I'm using 2x4" labels on 2 of these, so it should print 10 per page, but instead of putting 10 unique labels on a page, it puts each new label on a new page. Therefore, instead of 100 pages for the 1,000 labels I'm printing, I end up with 1,000 pages.

I know to double check the size constraints on the text box and make sure it fits when duplicated, and to my understanding, that is looking like it's fine. I'm also fairly certain that the CSV files I'm using are in the right format, too. I'm pretty stuck at this point as to what I need to do to fix this problem, any guidance would be awesome. Below are screenshots of what I'm looking at, please let me know if there's anything else I can provide that would help diagnose the problem.

Screen Shot 2012-09-24 at 10.52.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-09-24 at 10.52.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-09-24 at 10.52.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-09-24 at 10.53.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-09-24 at 10.53.33 AM.png

• 1. Re: Multiple Records Data Merge issue
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In data merge, InDesign will consider everything on the page to be part of the record, and will try to duplicate your Avery Template along with your text block. Try removing the Avery template from the document before trying the merge, and then add it back to the merged document.

• 2. Re: Multiple Records Data Merge issue
            arteen Level 1

I think you're correct that this will work, since I've gotten it to work without any template at all. However, I'm kind of new to this... based on my pages in the top right corner, can you explain how I can remove the Avery template first and then readd it? Thanks SO much for the help!

• 3. Re: Multiple Records Data Merge issue
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can place guidelines on the page to make sure your finished labels are falling in the correct place. Once you have positioned your text block, use CUT to delete the template file.

then you can place in back by using Paste in place. (before you do this, go to your page setup and uncheck facing pages. That way "in place" will be the same for all pages.)

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Multiple Records Data Merge issue
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I thinnk the easiest way to deal with this would be to make sure all the template information from Avery is on the master page. Leave it active while you do the layout in the upper left position ON THE DOCUMENT PAGE, then assign the None master to leave nothing showing but your placholders and added art.

Reassign the template master after the merge.