11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2012 1:31 PM by Bill Gehrke

Yet another build thread

teodorovidiu

Hello everyone,

After reading a lot of reviews, threads on the forums and maybe all of Harm's posts I think I've finally decided on my next build.

But still, opinions are always welcome, thus my post.

The purpose of the new PC will be:

- Photo Editing - D800 RAW files in Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom

- Video Editing - XDCAM EX and GoPro footage with 2 and sometimes 3 synchronized cameras (maximum 2 hour timeline after sync and pre-edit)

I will be working on DSLR projects in the near future (D800 or 5DMKII, nothing more demanding than these codecs)

- Very little use of After Effects. Mostly effects like 2.5D photo animations, a bit of tracking, nothing too intensive I guess.

Until now here are the parts I'm leaning towards:

ComponentModel
      CaseCooler Master HAF X
      PSUCooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 850W
      MotherboardAsus P8Z77-V Deluxe
      CPUIntel Core I7 2700K (I plan to overclock it)
      CPU CoolerPhanteks PH-TC14PE with 3 Thermalright TY-140 Fans
      MemoryCorsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9
      Video CardAsus GeForce GTX 660 DirectCU II OC 2GB DDR5 192-bit
      Display2X DELL U2412M 24inch

And now, the tricky part, hard drive configuration. As the motherboard supports upto 4x SATA III and 4X SATA II here is the setup I'm thinking about:

Drive letterDestinationModelRaidConnectivity
      COS, Programs, Pagefile1X Samsung 256GB SATA-III 2.5 inch 830 Series-SATA III
      DMedia, Projects2X Seagate 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64 MB BarracudaRAID0SATA II
      EMedia Cache, Cache DB2X Seagate 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64 MB BarracudaRAID0SATA III
      FExports, Previews1X Western Digital 500 GB SATA-III 10000 RPM 64 MB VelociRaptor-SATA III
      GBackup Media2X Seagate 3TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64 MB BarracudaRAID1SATA II

When new footage comes in I will download to my F drive, rename the files and organize into folders. After, it will be copied to D drive for import.

I plan on using google drive or dropbox for the projects folder so it will sync up on every save / auto-save.

I'd like to point out that I don't care about export times. My only concern is no lag in playback, scrubbing or jumping through timeline (with some GPU accelerated effects from 3rd party plugins)

I've been only using two hard drive setups till now, one for the OS&Programs and one for everything else. I have no experience with raid arrays and I don't know how having the data spread across multiple hard drives translates into real world practice. So, I have a few questions regarding the configuration I am going for:

1) First of all, is anything overkill for my worflow with XDCAM EX, GoPro and DSLR footage?

2) Will the F drive work well with the Previews (I have no idea how much speed it needs)? If so, should I also move the Pagefile to it?

3) Is the spread across SATAIII / SATAII good or should I move anything? (ie does the D drive suffer from being connected on SATA II?)

Any other advice is  greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Yet another build thread
          JEShort01 Level 4

Your build looks really great to me, my suggestions are pretty minor... Upgrade the GTX 660 to GTX 570 or better and dump the F drive all together (exports and previews can go on E drive as spec'd).

Regarding the D800, I'm jealous - awesome DSLR!

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Yet another build thread
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JEShort01 wrote:

Your build looks really great to me, my suggestions are pretty minor... Upgrade the GTX 660 to GTX 570 or better....

Regards,

Jim

Jim on what basis do you consider the GTX 570 better than the GTX660?  I have looked at the specs and see nothing wrong a GTX 660 and everthing to be gained (but I would not pay extra for an overclocked GTX 660).  Much less power, PCIe 3.0 interface,very close to the same memory bandwidth.

• 3. Re: Yet another build thread
              JEShort01 Level 4

Bill and teodorovidiu,

My bad, the GTX 660 specs do indeed look better than the GTX 470, and should work just fine with CS5/5.5/6.

I was simply stuck on the mindset of x70/x80 GTX cards being a good fit for a 2700k build for Premiere, and was unaware of the new 660 and 660i cards that released this month.

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: Yet another build thread
                teodorovidiu Level 1

Hey Jim, thanks for the response.

The GTX 570 performs just slightly better due to the bigger bandwidth but GTX 660 is working on kepler architecture wich I think will be improved  in later updates.

I am waiting for more opinions on the hard drive setup.

Thanks again,

Ovidiu

• 5. Re: Yet another build thread

teodorovidiu wrote:

The GTX 570 performs just slightly better due to the bigger bandwidth but GTX 660 is working on kepler architecture wich I think will be improved  in later updates.

I doubt that the small change in bandwidth has anything to do with the CUDA/MPE performance, the GTX 660 has more CUDA/MPE cores

• 6. Re: Yet another build thread
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

I don't see anything wrong or worth improving on with your disk setup. It all looks OK. In practice you may find, depending on your use of preview files that placing them on your raid0 may give a slight improvement, but the benefits will be miniscule.

On the Kepler 6xx series, the major benefits are the capability to steer up to 4 monitors and the reduced energy consumption. I'm in the process of building a new machine, see http://ppbm7.com/index.php/intro-part-1 and I have found it a huge benefit to easily configure 3 monitors with the Kepler range of cards. BTW, I'm coming from the 480, so I do not expect any significant performance improvements, only ease of use with more than 2 monitors.

The number of CUDA cores is no longer relevant for performance. It is all about memory bandwidth. Otherwise all Kepler cards would easily outperform any Fermi card by a factor three, since they have around three times the number of CUDA cores, but that it not the case. In your situation I would seriously look at the GTX 660 Ti. It promises to be a very nice 'Bang-for-the-buck' card.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Yet another build thread
                      teodorovidiu Level 1

Thank you Harm, best of luck with your next build!

• 8. Re: Yet another build thread
                        Cocovanna Level 1

Hi Bill,

Why not pay a little extra for an overclocked GTX660?

I've been looking at a GTX660Ti, and the review at overclockers.com says it is a VERY decent overclocking that's almost impossible to do better (and it is based on a "sorting" of boards).

(A side question: How do you quote, when you answer posts? Can't find any help i the guidelines ...)

• 9. Re: Yet another build thread
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

You select the text you want to quote from the post you want to answer to, copy and then press the reply button.

You end up in the Post a new answer field and press CTRL-V to paste the copied text, like this:

(A side question: How do you quote, when you answer posts? Can't find any help i the guidelines ...)

Now highlight that text and press on the " quote button, the utter right button above and you end up with:

• 10. Re: Yet another build thread
                            Cocovanna Level 1

You select the text you want to quote ...

Tnx, it seems to work! (I was using an iPad, it doesn't work at that one)

• 11. Re: Yet another build thread

Cocovanna wrote:

Hi Bill,

Why not pay a little extra for an overclocked GTX660?

I've been looking at a GTX660Ti, and the review at overclockers.com says it is a VERY decent overclocking that's almost impossible to do better (and it is based on a "sorting" of boards).

I have never been able to find any atvantage at all when overclocking a GPU with our PPBM5.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

We have a surprise from nVidia, I just added a new GTX 660 to my video card collection.  And surprise it only has one six-pin power connector required and it only has a maximum power consumption of 140 watts, and for Premiere Pro CS6.03 it performs hardware accelerated MPE about equivalent to a GTX 570 (requiring two 6-pin connectors and 215 watts).  Only $230!