After reading a lot of reviews, threads on the forums and maybe all of Harm's posts I think I've finally decided on my next build.
But still, opinions are always welcome, thus my post.
The purpose of the new PC will be:
- Photo Editing - D800 RAW files in Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom
- Video Editing - XDCAM EX and GoPro footage with 2 and sometimes 3 synchronized cameras (maximum 2 hour timeline after sync and pre-edit)
I will be working on DSLR projects in the near future (D800 or 5DMKII, nothing more demanding than these codecs)
- Very little use of After Effects. Mostly effects like 2.5D photo animations, a bit of tracking, nothing too intensive I guess.
Until now here are the parts I'm leaning towards:
|Case||Cooler Master HAF X|
|PSU||Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 850W|
|Motherboard||Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe|
|CPU||Intel Core I7 2700K (I plan to overclock it)|
|CPU Cooler||Phanteks PH-TC14PE with 3 Thermalright TY-140 Fans|
|Memory||Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9|
|Video Card||Asus GeForce GTX 660 DirectCU II OC 2GB DDR5 192-bit|
|Display||2X DELL U2412M 24inch|
And now, the tricky part, hard drive configuration. As the motherboard supports upto 4x SATA III and 4X SATA II here is the setup I'm thinking about:
|C||OS, Programs, Pagefile||1X Samsung 256GB SATA-III 2.5 inch 830 Series||-||SATA III|
|D||Media, Projects||2X Seagate 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64 MB Barracuda||RAID0||SATA II|
|E||Media Cache, Cache DB||2X Seagate 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64 MB Barracuda||RAID0||SATA III|
|F||Exports, Previews||1X Western Digital 500 GB SATA-III 10000 RPM 64 MB VelociRaptor||-||SATA III|
|G||Backup Media||2X Seagate 3TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64 MB Barracuda||RAID1||SATA II|
When new footage comes in I will download to my F drive, rename the files and organize into folders. After, it will be copied to D drive for import.
I plan on using google drive or dropbox for the projects folder so it will sync up on every save / auto-save.
I'd like to point out that I don't care about export times. My only concern is no lag in playback, scrubbing or jumping through timeline (with some GPU accelerated effects from 3rd party plugins)
I've been only using two hard drive setups till now, one for the OS&Programs and one for everything else. I have no experience with raid arrays and I don't know how having the data spread across multiple hard drives translates into real world practice. So, I have a few questions regarding the configuration I am going for:
1) First of all, is anything overkill for my worflow with XDCAM EX, GoPro and DSLR footage?
2) Will the F drive work well with the Previews (I have no idea how much speed it needs)? If so, should I also move the Pagefile to it?
3) Is the spread across SATAIII / SATAII good or should I move anything? (ie does the D drive suffer from being connected on SATA II?)
Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!