2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 12:57 AM by FieryPantone

locating and editing cross-references

FieryPantone Level 3

Adding cross-references is quite comfortable, but feels like a one-time operation: I can't find out how to

• edit the definition of a cross-reference
      • navigate from a cross-reference to its target (in InDesign)

Can't get to Adobe Help, for some mysterious reason perhaps connected with the client's firewall, and haven't found anything on the 'Net.  Hints and tips welcome!

CS6, by the way, on Mac and Windows 7

• 1. Re: locating and editing cross-references
          Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

You can work with Cross-references from Hyperlink Panel. Hyperlink panel is divided into 2 sections i.e. Hyperlinks and Cross-reference.

Go to Windows-->Interactive-->Hyperlink to open Hyperlink panel.

All the Cross-reference which were created or will be created will be listed under Cross-References Section.

• edit the definition of a cross-reference

Double-click on the Cross-Reference in Hyperlink panel to edit it Definition or properties.

or

Go to Type-->Hyperlink and Cross-References-->Cross-Reference Options...

• navigate from a cross-reference to its target (in InDesign)

Select the Cross-Reference in the Hyperlink Panel.

Go to the Hyperlink panel flyout menu to navigate to the Source or to the Destination of the Cross-reference.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: locating and editing cross-references
            FieryPantone Level 3

Thanks! it's taken a while to make time to go and check, but your tip about the Hyperlink panel was valuable. One place for both setting and managing cross-references would have been a good idea, but we'll just have to live with this split.

I couldn't get anywhere with your suggestion about Type > Hyperlink > Cross-reference options, though: whether the cursor is in a cross-reference or not, that option is always greyed out for me.

A conceptual question, while I'm looking at cross-references: why is it possible to edit the text of the cross-reference? crude example: I've used the cross-reference mechanism to add a cross-reference to the heading Right-hand column, but there's nothing to stop me editing this so the read sees "the Left-hand column, described on page x". I'd expect the text/page number to be treated like variables, and uneditable.