8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2012 6:42 AM by Peter Spier

help :( layout and mirror disposition

Mara Cavalli

Hi guys,

im new, ive a big question of wich i cant find a reply!

Im creating a catalogue importing dates using date merge.

I want to have a pagination like this with wich all images stay at the external side of the paper like this: (X =IMAGES FROM FILE .CSV/_____=TXT FROM FILE CSV)

X_____________________

X_____________________

X_____________________

X_____________________

X_____________________

X_____________________

X_____________________

X_____________________

X_____________________

X_____________________

_____________________X

_____________________X

_____________________X

_____________________X

_____________________X

_____________________X

_____________________X

_____________________X

_____________________X

_____________________X

THANKS IN ADVANCE

MArA

• 1. Re: help :( layout and mirror disposition
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Data Merge is not terribly sophistcated. The only way I can think of that you might accomplish this is to put the image into a custom positioned anchored object and set the positioning "Relative to Spine," but I haven't tested to see if it will work.

• 2. Re: help :( layout and mirror disposition
            Mara Cavalli Level 1

oh!

i would like to try, can you give me more details to how to do what u said please???

• 3. Re: help :( layout and mirror disposition

Well, it was an interesting idea, but so far I can't make it work, but I'm going to play a bit more.

• 4. Re: help :( layout and mirror disposition

OK, Maybe this will work.

You will need three frames altogether, on text frame that spans the column width and is the height of the image frame, the image frame you will be using, and another text frame the same height, but narrower that the column width by at least the same amount as the width of the image frame. Put your data merge placeholder fields into these last two frames.

Select the image frame and cut to the clipboard, then click inside the large text frame with your text tool and paste. Do the same sor the samll text frame. You should now have a large text frame with two "inline" anchored objects. Select the image frame, then right-click and choose Anchored Object > Options...

In the dialog the type should say Inline or Above Line, and Inlne radio button will be selected. Click the Above Line radio button and the Alignment dropdown should now become active. Choose Away from Spine. Repeat for the small text frame, but for alignment choose Towards Spine.

One you've done the merge and have facing pages, the two frames should swap positions on opposite pages.

• 5. Re: help :( layout and mirror disposition
                  Mara Cavalli Level 1

Sorry but i didnt understand the positions of the frames initially can u make me like a screeshot ? sorry for that and thanks so much!

• 6. Re: help :( layout and mirror disposition

OK, here's a series:

These are the three frames you'll need before you do any anchoring (adjust to suit).Merge Swap Before.png

This is what it looks like after the text frame has been pasted, but before changing the postion to above line.Merge Swap after anchor.png

It turns out that the large frame actuall needs to be taller by at least one line or the frames disappear as overset text when they go above line.

Merge Swap after Positioning.png

You'll probably want to prevent manual positioning, once you get it right...

And this is what happens when you have a two-page spread.

Merge Swap Spread.png

This is clearly not a perfect solution, but it might work.

• 7. Re: help :( layout and mirror disposition
                      rubenlourens

Oke, What you explain works perfect. I only run into the next problem. I want to do the same. I have to maken a sort of coupon booklet. And want to use the same differnce in left and right. But whan i want to merge the input file he only will place the placeholders on all leftside pages. And I want it to devide it over left and right pages.

Maybe you know how to let the document fill out left and right pages.

Schermafbeelding 2012-10-10 om 15.11.19.png

• 8. Re: help :( layout and mirror disposition

Start with a non-facing layout to do the merge. Change to Facing pages after the merge is complete.