12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2013 4:22 PM by Paul R Stark

Videos in Presentations

Paul R Stark Level 1

I'm preparing a presentation in ID CS6 and I want to place numerous short video clips in it along with my slides. I'm using F4V format for now.

The plan is to show it in an offsite location. I just give the them the PDF and they give me a remote.

However, am I correct that unless the host computer has Adobe Media Player the F4V's won't play?

I'm exporting the clips from PP CS6 and tried using H.264, but did not get good quality results, although I used a very low bitrate. If I cannot use F4V, I can give H.264 another try at a higher bit rate.

Thanks for your advice.

Paul

• 1. Re: Videos in Presentations
          Rik Ramsay Level 4

F4V and FLV require Flash Player, not necessarily Adobe Media Player. As long as the host computer has Flash Player installed you should be ok. Windows Media Player also play F4V.

Also, F4V and H.264 are effectively the same thing (mpeg-4) - the main difference being that Flash Player can play F4V but not the standalone .mp4. They both use H.264 encoding. You might consider using FLV (Flash Video) as this would be a safer bet with most computers.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Videos in Presentations
            Paul R Stark Level 1

Thanks, Rick.

But isn't flv a lower quality? Maybe that doesn't matter so much when the pdf will be projected on a typical projector.

However, how does flash player or WMP work with a pdf presentation created in ID? Does it just play in the frame I design like my f4v's are now (I assume they are playing in flash player) or does it open a new window and make the presentation messy?

Thx.

• 3. Re: Videos in Presentations
              Petteri_Paananen Level 4

Adobe Reader has a built-in Flash Player, (at least couple of latest versions.) If you have F4V or FLV video placed inside PDF, built-in Flash Player will take care of playing. There´s not so much difference between F4V and FLV, both are so called "flash videos", F4V is newer and sometimes has better compression ability (=smaller video files).

You can place video clip into your layout in InDesign and export as Interactive PDF. There are limited options available in InDesign´s Media panel, if you want to get more options, you have to open resulting PDF into Acrobat Professional and make additional setting there.

• 4. Re: Videos in Presentations
                Rik Ramsay Level 4

The videos should play in the video container you make for them in InDesign - they should not open in a new window.

FLV is standard definition, F4V supports HD (H.264). However, you can adjust the bitrate and frame rate in both types. On screen and in a PDF, it would be hard to tell the difference.

See this post as it is very detailed in the video selection: http://indesignsecrets.com/picking-the-best-video-format-for-digital-publishing.php

• 5. Re: Videos in Presentations
                  Paul R Stark Level 1

Thank you gentlemen. Very helpful.

Just one more question. I'd like to control the slide transitions, i,e., transitioning from one slide to the next (video or not), not the transition effects. Where is that best done, in ID or Acrobat Pro? And can it be done with a wireless remote to the computer, as with PowerPoint?

Many sincere thanks.

Paul

• 6. Re: Videos in Presentations
                    Rik Ramsay Level 4

Unless I am misinterpreting your question, the remote would simply change pages. Interactive PDFs are single page PDFs so all you would need to do is move from one page to the next. You can include transitions in this and I am also sure you can time the page changes. The wireless remote would simply need an up and down arrow (or left and right).

You can buy the wireless remotes on Amazon or if you have a Mac and an Apple Remote, there is Mira: http://twistedmelon.com/mira/

• 7. Re: Videos in Presentations
                      Paul R Stark Level 1

Thanks. I have a wireless remote. Just realized I could have tested it for myself.

Thx for saving my energy

That's what I need to know, if I could change pages remotely.

Much appreciation.

Paul

• 8. Re: Videos in Presentations
                        Paul R Stark Level 1

Hello again, Rick.

Just curious, since I'm into CS6 now, would your recommendation for the video format that plays best (once the INDD file is exported to PDF for presentation) still be the article in the link you provided in your 9/25/12 post? Does CS6 add anything noteworthy to the workflow?

Thx.

Paul

• 9. Re: Videos in Presentations
                          Rik Ramsay Level 4

I don't use CS6 myself but from what I have read on feature enhancements, it doesn't look like your particular workflow would be changed. The video file types are still very relevant and are not tied to InDesign. As such, I would be surprised if the move to CS6 has changed what video is best to use.

• 10. Re: Videos in Presentations
                            Paul R Stark Level 1

Thanks, Rik.

Paul Stark

• 11. Re: Videos in Presentations
                              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Paul,

You need to delete your personal information when replying by email.

• 12. Re: Videos in Presentations
                                Paul R Stark Level 1

Thx, Peter, for taking care of it. I just added that and forgot about it carrying over.