7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2012 3:53 PM by ssprengel

My .cr2 files turn a tinted blue after saving as jpegs in ACR CS5

sammyslam

After color correcting a batch of about 100 images, I saved as jpegs and then hit done and a select few of the photos turn a tinted blue. All of the other settings stayed the same.. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on? Or need me to explain more?

• 1. Re: My .cr2 files turn a tinted blue after saving as jpegs in ACR CS5
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

sammyslam wrote:

Or need me to explain more?

Yes...

Basic troubleshooting info: OS?, ACR version? What camera? What color space? How are you viewing the JPEGs?

• 2. Re: My .cr2 files turn a tinted blue after saving as jpegs in ACR CS5
            sammyslam Level 1

Here's an overview of what is going on -

I work in post production for a wedding company, and we basically edit wedding photos all day. There's four of us color correcting pictures on our own iMacs, and three of us have run into this problem. When editing either .dng or .cr2 files in Adobe Camera Raw, we usually save as .jpegs in a new folder. Sometimes after saving them, some of the images will appear as if the white balance has changed (either tinted blue, or too magenta). Mainly it just messes up our workflow, and we have to go in and redo the white balance on a lot of the images.

Troubleshooting Info:
            Mac OS X Version10.6.8
            2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4GB

Adobe Camera Raw CS5 (but one of the girls also having the problem has CS6 on her comp)

The camera's change from photographer to photographer, but one that I'm working on now that just had the problem with, where it looks like he used 3 different camera (assistant shot some) Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Canon EOS 50D, & Nikon D200 with four different lenses:

- 18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6

- 80.0-200.0 mm f/2.8
            - EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM

- EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

Colorspace - RGB

And I'm using Adobe Bridge

Any other questions, just let me know!

Cheers

• 3. Re: My .cr2 files turn a tinted blue after saving as jpegs in ACR CS5
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does your workflow involve saving JPGs directly out of ACR and not going into PS and not using Bridge->Tools->Photoshop scripts?

I don’t specifically know if ACR has the problem, but I wonder if it is a timing problem where the same WB is synchronized across a bunch of images but ACR hasn’t updated the XMP file (or its database) with the latest edits so some of the pictures are getting saved as their original settings instead of WB-corrected settings?  Are you doing other changes such as toning or noise-reduction to the images or only WB?  If you are doing other changes, then for the images that don’t have the corrected-WB, are the other changes applied?

BTW, RGB is not a colorspace but a color mode with Lab or CMYK or HSL being others.  sRGB, AdobeRGB, ProPhotoRGB would be colorspaces.  Do you mean you are saving your JPGs out of ACR with the AdobeRGB colorspace?

• 4. Re: My .cr2 files turn a tinted blue after saving as jpegs in ACR CS5
                sammyslam Level 1

Yes, we save right out of ACR.. And yes, we do other adjustments like exposure, blacks, contrast, hsl, etc. The only thing that changes is the white balance, everything else seems to stay the same..

And sorry I meant sRGB

• 5. Re: My .cr2 files turn a tinted blue after saving as jpegs in ACR CS5

If you reopen the raw files that had saved JPGs that came out wrong, is the WB back to As Shot or does it have some other custom WB?  In other words, is the WB-correction not being remembered by ACR so it is back to the original As Shot or is it being reset to some other weird value, somehow?  Also when first working on the image, do you change the WB to something Custom using the sliders or the eyedropper, or do you have presets you use to set it?  Also, are you using a custom camera profile or one of the standard ones that comes from Adobe?

• 6. Re: My .cr2 files turn a tinted blue after saving as jpegs in ACR CS5
                    sammyslam Level 1

When I reopen the raw files that have changed, the WB still says custom, it's just reset to something else. I change the white balance using both the sliders or sometimes the eyedropper. I don't use presents, and no we arn't using any custom camera profile...

• 7. Re: My .cr2 files turn a tinted blue after saving as jpegs in ACR CS5

It sounds like user-error where an image off screen is still accidentally selected when tint is being adjusted on another group of images, perhaps with a mixture of fluorescent and daylight images, which have a significant difference in tint so the adjustment of one would be obvious on the other.

Since you posted here, I’d guess you don’t feel it is user-error and the ACR plug-in is doing something to cause the issue.  Because it is across two different versions of Photoshop and occurring with different people, a bug would have to be longstanding, but I don’t recall others reporting it.  Sometimes there are sliders that stick or become activated when an unrelated context is exited from (maybe I’m remembering things in Lightroom not ACR, though) so when the mouse-wheel is moved a slider unexpectedly moves instead of the thumbnail list scrolling, but that sort of thing should be obvious on-screen and not only when the JPGs are written.

Does the WB adjustment ever happen near the end of the process so it is the last thing done and a last-minute error might go unnoticed if ACR had not had a chance to redo all the thumbnails?

Is this a relatively new crew of people or a very light or very heavy load, where lack-of-attention or pressure could be leading to selection errors when and adjustment is applied and extra photos are getting selected by accident?  Is there anything different about the one person who hasn’t seen the problem?

Is there anything with the computer monitors that make it difficult to see what images are selected?

It might be interesting to look at the timestamp of the XMP files (if you use those) to see if the one with a bad WB was updated at a different time compared to the ones surrounding it that all were probably done at the same time. 

Are these files all local to each computer or are they being shared from a central location?

With a bug it would be nice to have a documented procedure that will always lead to the problem.  Something intermittent that cannot be reproduced by Adobe isn’t going to get fixed. 

If it happens relatively often, then you could record an entire session using a screen recorder (like camtasia or similar), or using a video camera over someone’s shoulder, and then play it back and look for either user-error, or as proof that there was none, but strange things happened.