3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2012 3:22 PM by Joel Cherney

InDesign-Data Merge, Consecutive Empty Fields

akdecke

Hi there,

I've been doing data merges in InDesign for quite some time now and I've always had this problem. I don't know of any other way, besides to go in and manually delete every line, to get rid of this issue.

Here's my data block:

<<First Name>> <<Last Name>>

<<Spouse First>> <<Spouse Last>>

<<Address 1>>

<<Address 2>>

<<City>>, <<St>> <<Zip>>

Normally, I can just combine address 1 and address 2 into one line separated by a space and it's no big deal. I've tried using the merge option to delete the empty line, but it has never worked properly.

My main concern is the second line. Not all records have a spouse associated with them and when merged, I have to go in an manually delete the entire line. Is there a way to fix this?

• 1. Re: InDesign-Data Merge, Consecutive Empty Fields
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've tried using the merge option to delete the empty line, but it has never worked properly.

That's odd; it's pretty much exactly what you are asking after. Can you tell us anything outside of "it has never worked properly"?

Is there anything non-standard about your merge? (I.e. unusual text encoding, images, master pages, n-up merges, et cetera.) Can you take screenshots of your merge dialogs? Or give us a step-by-step rundown of what you are doing? Are you previewing before merge?

I am an infrequent but long-time user of Data Merge, and I've always been able to use the "Remove blank lines for empty fields" checkbox without issue.

• 2. Re: InDesign-Data Merge, Consecutive Empty Fields
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you have a space between the fields, ID doesn't see it as empty, it sees it as containing a space character. I have a directory I do with similar problems, and I have some GREP queries I use to clean it up:

Find ^\s+\r and replace with nothing. This removes those white spaces between null fields and removes the line.

Find \r,\s$ and replace with nothing should remove a "blank" line in the form <lastname>, <firstname>

Looking at these together, I'd probably rewrite the second one as ^,\s\r as I think the first version may change the paragraph style of the line above the blank to the style assigned to teh blank line if it's different.

• 3. Re: InDesign-Data Merge, Consecutive Empty Fields
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              If you have a space between the fields, ID doesn't see it as empty, it sees it as containing a space character.

Ohhhh.

Never mind my questions, Peter has the correct answer.