5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2012 11:26 AM by the_wine_snob

What do I set LFE volume at for music?

mooninitelights

Hi, I can't find any information regarding the LFE volume control for 5.1 mixes. As I understand it, Premiere will automatically set the frequency cutoff for the LFE channel. If that is the case, am I correct in setting the LFE volume control to "maximum" for a stereo audio track?

• 1. Re: What do I set LFE volume at for music?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are many considerations, when it comes to both LFE settings, and then 5.1 SS Audio in general.

Probably the best way to answer your question, is to point you to an excellent book, Instant Surround Sound, video audio surround, by Jeffery P. Fischer, CMP Books, ISBN 1-57820-246-9. Most of those consideratons are covered, along with a great explanation of the LFE channel.

Are you working with 6 discrete Audio files? It does not sound like it, but I have to ask, as the answer would likely differ, depending on your source material.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What do I set LFE volume at for music?
            mooninitelights Level 1

Thanks Hunt. What I have is as close to a natural "surround sound" recording as you can get. This is a DVD of a live performance of a rock band.

This is how I want it set up:

The Front Speakers - A Stereo mic pair on the stage with the band.

The Rear Speakers - A Stereo mic pair in the back of the concert hall.

The Center Speaker - An isolated mono vocal track from the singer.

The LFE channel - The low frequence bass from the front and rear speakers.

All I need to know is where to set the LFE volume to achieve my goal. Thanks for your help!

-Aaron

• 3. Re: What do I set LFE volume at for music?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For that, I would adjust the LFE, on the Front R-L to about 50%, and test.

If that is not giving you what you want, Duplicate the Front R-L onto another 2-Channel (Stereo) Audio Track, apply a Low-Pass Effect, and for that Clip, adjust the LFE to 100%, and test.

Now, as the LFE is Low Frequency Effects channel, the frequency response of the mics used might, or might not give you what you are anticipating. If not, then explore some EQ, attenuating the Midrange, and Treble, and boosting the Bass a bit, on that Duplicate Clip. Be very careful of Clipping that Low-frequency signal. Also, keep that Duplicate Clip out of the Center Channel - that should be set to 0.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: What do I set LFE volume at for music?
                mooninitelights Level 1

Thanks for your help!

-Aaron

• 5. Re: What do I set LFE volume at for music?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome, and good luck. Also, when you have determined the best mix, for your material, please post that, as the settings might be helpful to others.

Hunt