9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2012 5:59 AM by sharedmoments

Once edits are "done" in RAW my images become jpg

sharedmoments

Does anyone know how I can change the suffix on my RAW images after edits?  When I click "done" and go to my images again, they have become jpg's - I saved them to a travel drive for class and my instructor wants to see the RAW file and the sidecar edit file.  I don't know how to locate these on my iMAC - frustration setting in.....

Any help would be appreciated....

• 1. Re: Once edits are "done" in RAW my images become jpg
          Noel Carboni Level 7

Camera raw does NOT change raw files to JPEGs.  What is giving you the idea that it does?

Can you show some screenshots?

-Noel

• 2. Re: Once edits are "done" in RAW my images become jpg
            sharedmoments Level 1

I had RAW images going into CAMERA RAW and after edits I clicked DONE.  Then highlight all images and drag to travel drive for class.  When I open the images on my travel drive – they are showing as JPEGs.  If my instructor then opens them again in CAMERA RAW during class – will he be able to make further edits and also see my edits?  I don’t know any other way to save the images after edits.

Sharon Turner

• 3. Re: Once edits are "done" in RAW my images become jpg
              Noel Carboni Level 7

Not being familiar with the Macintosh environment, I can't begin to imagine what you're seeing or doing based on your description.

I don't know what you mean by "when I open" nor whether "showing as JPEGs" means you're seeing the filenames have .jpg on the end or some appilcation on your system is extracting the embedded JPEGs for a preview or what.

You really need to be more specific and detailed in your descriptions, or you're probably not going to get any help.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Once edits are "done" in RAW my images become jpg
                sharedmoments Level 1

Thank you.  Sorry you are not familiary with the MAC environment.  However, when the images are saved to my travel drive - yes, I do see the filenames as .jpg that is how I know they were saved to the travel drive as .jpg - like I said, I only clicked "done" after my edits and then highlighted the images and dragged them to my travel drive on my desktop.

No where was I prompted to select a format for my images; i.e., dnp, xmp, raw, psd, etc....

• 5. Re: Once edits are "done" in RAW my images become jpg
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Selecting Done in ACR will update your setting changes into either individual XMP sidecars located in the same place as the RAWs or into a central Camera RAW database, depending on how your preferences are set, but clicking Done does not create any new images or rename your raws to jpgs.

To create new images from your raws with the Adobe adjustments you would have to use Save from inside ACR, or use Open to render the image into Photoshop and Save As from there, or use something like Bridge / Tools / Photoshop / Image Processor to batch-render your raws to jpgs.

If you are getting jpgs from your raw images it is likely something the Mac is doing for you outside of any Adobe products and not using any ACR-adjustments.  Are you in Finder or in Bridge when you say you are dragging and dropping images from your desktop to your travel drive?  Are the images inside of iPhoto?

• 6. Re: Once edits are "done" in RAW my images become jpg
                    sharedmoments Level 1

My images are in ACR at the point that I select them (highlight) to drag to desktop travel drive icon.  I did go my preferences in ACR and saw the setting was set to xmp sidecars.  I’m just not finding the sidecars xmp files.  I’ve looked in Finder and in iPhoto.

Sharon Turner

• 7. Re: Once edits are "done" in RAW my images become jpg
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Clicking Done in ACR on Windows exits ACR and goes back to Bridge where I see a grid of thumbnails that I can do things with.  I have never tried dragging and dropping from the column of images at the left inside of ACR, itself, and that doesn’t sound like the right thing to do.  Could you post a screen-capture of how things look when you’ve selected everything before dragging and dropping?

If ACR or Bridge does perform as a drag-and-drop source on a Mac, it may very well be that the dnd operation is to render the images to JPGs as you are seeing. 

If you want to copy your original raw files and their accompanying XMPs to you external drive is there a reason you’re not just using Finder?  If you want to try to do a Copy from inside of an Adobe product try doing a right-click (or the Mac equivalent) and see what options you have available.  Maybe Copy is one of them but just not the default operation.

Another question would be what version of the Max OS are you running and what version of PS and ACR?

• 8. Re: Once edits are "done" in RAW my images become jpg
                        sharedmoments Level 1

I will get back to you on the questions you ask in just a few hours.  I am at my office and not at home with my iMAC to do screen prints.

The reason I didn’t go to Finder was because I thought the original raw and xmp files would show up in ACR as that is where I am editing.

As you can tell, I’ve never used ACR until this class that I am in.  I’m fairly new to Photoshop and ACR – only used PS briefly.

Sharon Turner

• 9. Re: Once edits are "done" in RAW my images become jpg
                          sharedmoments Level 1

BREAKTHROUGH!  I was using iPhoto as my importing tool when loading photo's from my camera to my iMAC - this was set up in preferences on iPhoto - once I eliminated that step in the process, I was able to load photos to my folder created for class and work in ACR and my NEF and XMP files showed up and we are all good now!!!!!  CELEBRATE DANCE TO THE MUSIC!