6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2012 7:14 AM by the_wine_snob

Any way to keep a single scene magnified?

apsimpson

Hello, I need help on how to magnify a scene in Premiere Elements. I'm using version 4.0. My operating system is Windows Vista. Anyway, when I right click on a scene (in the sceneline), I can magnify it to 150%, but when I do this, it magnifies the entire movie. I just need a single scene to be magnified and kept that way. Is there any way to do this? Thanks for any assistance. -Alex

• 1. Re: Any way to keep a single scene magnified?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're right-clicking and selecting Magnify, you're not magnifying your video. You're only zooming in on it.

What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to zoom in on something in a scene? Or are you trying to make your movie bigger?

You can pretty easily zoom in on something in a scene. However:

1) Your video frame will remain the same size -- so you'll zoom in but some of your scene will be outside your video frame. And

2) Your video has a given resolution. Zooming in may result in "over-rezzing", and your video will look fuzzy and pixelated. You can maybe zoom in about 10% -- but no more than that.

• 2. Re: Any way to keep a single scene magnified?
            apsimpson Level 1

Thanks for the reply. What I'm trying to do is correct a television capture (sports footage) that has black bars on the top and bottom. Usually I can "stretch" this out and maneuver it the way I want, but with some of the footage if I do this, I'll lose some of the scene to the outside of the frame. It's not so much that I want to magnify the scene as to try to keep the appearance of how it looks when magnified to 150%, because it removes the black spaces, cosmetically.

Basically, the issue is that I recorded some footage on a standard definition TV and the sports programming was in "HD" and the appearance on the TV had the black bars at the top and bottom. I guess I just need a way to edit out the black bars and be able to keep the entire picture within the frame.

• 3. Re: Any way to keep a single scene magnified?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, if your project is set up as 4:3 and your video is 16:9, it's not really possible to remove the letterboxing look AND not lose any of the picture.

But, if you're willing to lose some off the sides, you can up-scale your picture a bit so that it fills your 4:3 video frame.

Is that what you're trying to do?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Any way to keep a single scene magnified?
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                1. Change to the Timeline View Mode.
                2. Select the Clip, that you wish to Scale (Zoom).
                3. Go to the Effects Tab, and choose Edit Effects.
                4. That opens the Effects Editing Panel, where you can adjust the Fixed Effects (or any added Effects).
                5. Look for the Fixed Effect>Motion, and twirl it open to reveal both Scale, and Position.
                6. In Motion>Scale, you will see several parameters, and the Percentage of Scale is what you want to adjust. You can click that box and type an amount, or you can click in it, and scrub the Percentage to suit.
                7. Unless you want the image to distort (I do not think that you do), leave Constrain Aspect Ratio checked, and that will Scale both Height and Width to the same Percentage.
                8. This will Scale both dimensions, so you may wish to adjust Motion>Position, to get just how you wish for the Video to be seen, behind the Project's Frame.
                9. As you did not Keyframe Motion>Scale, that Clip, and only that Clip, will be statically Scaled, i.e. the Scale will not change over time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Any way to keep a single scene magnified?
                  apsimpson Level 1

Bill, thanks!! Following your instructions I was able to adjust the scale height and scale width of the clip and arrange perfectly height and width, moving the clip as I need to. This has really opened up what I want to do and I can fix a lot of clips this way for my video projects. The key for me is the width adjustment, that really lets me move the clip so that I don't lose anything. You really solved a tough problem I've been having. Thank you!

-Alex

PS Steve - thanks for your help too. Yeah, I wanted to fill the frame but not lose the side. With the motion edit I can now do so.

Thanks again, gentlemen!

• 6. Re: Any way to keep a single scene magnified?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Excellent news! Glad that we could help.

If things are now working for you, you might want to see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1058744?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful