10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 7:06 PM by gwhPoster

Footnotes

gwhPoster Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I have a Word file where the endnotes start from 30. When I place this file into Indesign, ID renumbers the endnotes from 1. Is there a way to make Indesign start the notes at 30 like the Word file?

Appreciate any help.

• 1. Re: Footnotes
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to make it a new section. Then in the Footnote Numbering (Type>Document Footnote Options) choose the starting number.

• 2. Re: Footnotes
            gwhPoster Level 1

Thanks for the reply,

The method you described ensures that all new endnotes start at the specified number but it doesn't do anything for placed endnotes from Word. The placed file that I'm using has about 100 endnotes with the first one starting from a number other than 1. As mentioned, when I place it into Word, Indesign renumbers everthing from 1 whereas I need to keep the numbering that same as it was specified in Word.

There doesn't seem to be a way to change the numbering once the file has been placed and all the endnotes are in place. Or am I missing something?

• 3. Re: Footnotes
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are the note markers in the body of the text correctly numbered?

I've never had to deal with end notes from word, but if memory serves they just get placed as an ordinary story or as text tacked on to the end of the main story. Does ID format them as a numbered list? If so you should be able to selct the start number from the numbered list options. If not, I suppose you could use Find/Chnage to remove the plain text numbering and convert to a numbered list style.

• 4. Re: Footnotes
                gwhPoster Level 1

No the markers aren't correct - instead of starting from 30, Indesign starts from 1. They're not formatted as a numbered list either.

All of the note markers are in superscript so I guess I could target that and replace with a numbered list as you suggest.

Would be good if ID's footnote/endnote function was as advanced as Word.

• 5. Re: Footnotes

No, no. You misunderstood.

The numbered list only applies to the notes themselves, not the markers in the running text. As I said, I've never dealt with this situation, so I'm spitballing. Do the markers change if you go into the footnote options and change the start number? If not, I think it's probably scriptable to loop through the doc and find superscripts and replace them with new numbers starting at 30.

• 6. Re: Footnotes
                    gwhPoster Level 1

No the markers don't change if I change the start number. Should I ask on the scripting forum about the script that you mentioned or do you have a link to it?

Thanks again

• 7. Re: Footnotes

I don't know that there is a script already, so yes, you should ask in the scripting forum. Explain trhe whole thing, or put a link to this thread.

• 8. Re: Footnotes
                        gwhPoster Level 1

Ok thanks

• 9. Re: Footnotes
                          David W. Goodrich Level 3

For footnote and endnote issues, the first place I look is Peter Kahrel's site.  It looks as though his note on managing cross-references for his system for adding Dynamic Endnotes to IDCS4 and later may fit your needs.

David

• 10. Re: Footnotes
                            gwhPoster Level 1

Great - thanks for that. I'll take a look