2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 7:25 AM by Steven L. Gotz

Capturing a Frame From Playing Video

Webshark2000 Level 1

Is there a way to capture a still frame from a video while it's playing by hitting a single button, without having to go through the save dialog?

Also, is there a way to make Premiere save a frame at a specific interval?  For instance, every second of a video, capture and save a frame.

If Premiere doesn't have this ability, does anyone know of a program that does?  Does OnLocation have this ability?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Capturing a Frame From Playing Video
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The save dialog will always come up.

You might find a way to Export every Nth frame, but at the moment I can't think how.

I'm not aware of any Adobe program that can do this.

• 2. Re: Capturing a Frame From Playing Video
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

No. Yes. Sort of.

Sorry, but there is no way I know of to save a frame without stopping the video. However, it is easy enough to click on the little icon of a camera in the Program Monitor panel while the video plays. That will call up a small dialog for you to use, but it stops the video. Press play again and click on the camera icon again. Tedious, but it will work.

If you want to mark the sequence at the places where you want a screen shot, and go back later to take the shot, simply tap the M key every place on the timeline you want to remember. That creates a marker. You can then learn the shortcut to jump from marker to marker (Shift-M), use the shortcut for exporting a frame (Ctrl-Shift-E), and you can go though the process relatively quickly.

Saving at a specific interval is a whole lot easier. Just nest your sequence in a new sequence, set the speed to 3000% (30 times faster) and export an image sequence using Targa, JPG, BMP, PNG or whatever you wish. Since it is running at 30 times faster, you will get an image per second.