3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 11:17 PM by Pierre Devereux

What system should I build for After Effects?

Clode Vincent

Hello everyone.

my friend built a system few months ago:

Samsung 8GB x 8 1600 ECC REG

WD Black 2TB x2

256GB SSD

E5-2680 x2

2 GTX680 in SLi

Win7 Ultimate x64

and I ran after effects CS6 on that system. And soon I noticed that this powerful system didn't show its power on after effects. In preferences I

enabled "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously" but the performance was slow. Everytime I add some effects or preview the project in normal way (Press Spacebar) the CPU load was always low, under 20% all the time,and I couldn't preview the project smoothly.It seemed the only way to have a smooth preview is RAM preview. All the projects are in 1080p, 60fps, and the cache files and other material are located on the SSD. I don't know what the problem is, ...and is this just normal?

Now I want to build a system for myself soon and I'm looking for some advice. On the Internet someone said that the Dual CPU System doesn't fit AE and other said a pro class video card is needed. I don't know what the problem is...

And I'd like to know the correct setting in Menu - Perferences - Memory & Multiprocessing.

Anyone can help me? Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: What system should I build for After Effects?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It seemed the only way to have a smooth preview is RAM preview. All the projects are in 1080p, 60fps, and the cache files and other material are located on the SSD. I don't know what the problem is, ...and is this just normal?

Yes, AE is still a compositing ap pwith limited realtime possibilities. And enabling MP is useless, if your footage I/O can't keep up or you use specific temporal effects. For similar reasons, dual graphics cards are useless, when hardware acceleration wil lbe turned off and everything reverts to software mode. Do a search, this has been discuseed to death.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What system should I build for After Effects?
            Clode Vincent Level 1

Thanks a lot. So....could I say a notebook with Quad core i7, 16G Ram, SSD and a graphic card likes HD 7850M is enough for 1080p @ 60fps editing without too much effects?

• 3. Re: What system should I build for After Effects?
              Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

Here is a link to one of the threads around hardware. This is a discussion that has so many variables, an entire forum could be dedicated to it! It all comes down to what you want to use the system for - and by "use", I mean exact usage - What is After Effects going to do for you - Composite? Keying work? Text? Graphics etc etc etc...

The questions you are asking are exactly the same as mine at the moment. I am doing as much as I can to find a decent PC spec for what I want out of AE. Good luck, and have fun searching...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4724559#4724559

Pierre