3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 1:54 PM by Steve Werner

How do you apply the same password policy to every PDF document you create with inDesign?

PIXELNOVAE

All,

Adobe peeps!,

I don't know if this is really supported with inDesign 5.5, but here is my my use case:

• I constantly create more than 10 PDFs a day using inDesign
      • On  all PDF's I create, i want to apply password security to protect them
      • But in order to do so, within inDesign, I am   always forced to go to the "security dialogue" pane to set up the same permission  and passwords over and over again
      • This gets tiring :/
      • So what I am hoping to do is  the following:
        • Like acrobat, I want to create a password policy within inDesign
        • I want all PDFs created to have such a password policy  be automatically applied

I know acrobat supports something like this (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/pro/using/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7d68.w.h tml), but, unless I may have missed something, the Acrobat feature is limited. That is, the help link  does not tell me how to automatically do this with Acrobat either (the link does not explain to me how to "automatically apply the same password security policy to every PDF document I save within the application). I think the only way to do so is via "Adobe LiveCycle Rights Management ES", but for non server users, I am hoping there is another way.

So my questions are:

1. Is it possible to create password security policies in inDesign?
      2. Is it possible to apply the same password security policy to every PDF i create in inDesign?
      3. If not, can I change default settings within Acrobat ProX to automatically apply a password security policy everytime I save a PDF?
      4. If all fails, do you guys know of any extensions that can support this?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do you apply the same password policy to every PDF document you create with inDesign?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1. It's not possible to set security policies in InDesign.

2. In InDesign, it will always be manual.

3. In Acrobat Pro, you can do it by setting a securty policy.

Assuming you're using Acrobat X Pro, here are the steps:

a. Choose Tools > Protection > Encrypt > Manage

b. Click New to open the New Security Policy dialog box.

c. Select Use Passwords, and click Next.

d. Enter the name and description for the policy, and specify whether you want to save a password with it. Click Next

e. Specify encryption and permission settings and click OK. Click Next and click Finish.

It's not something I knew about until I had to teach an Acrobat class a month or two ago where Security is one of the topics. I had never had to use it before.

• 2. Re: How do you apply the same password policy to every PDF document you create with inDesign?
            PIXELNOVAE Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for your notes. To follow up on your response.

1. Bummer. I kinda had a hunch at this inDesign limitation.
            2. I have been aware of the method for setting up of a security policy within Acrobat. While this feature does cut down some of the work involved in creating and applying password policies to pdfs, what I am looking for with Acrobat is to apply the same password policy to every document I save from the app. Automatically. Without having to manualy select a policy.

I think my solution will have to lie in me creating some sort of script to help support this need. I don't think Acrobat Pro X has the capabilities to allow me to tinker with, say, creating a save PDF preset that will allow me to automatically apply a password policy.

PS. I am using acrobat pro x.

• 3. Re: How do you apply the same password policy to every PDF document you create with inDesign?
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just a guess, but I notice that setting security policies is NOT one of the features you can select when creating an action in the Action Wizard in Acrobat X Pro.

The Adobe Acrobat team has had to be extremely security conscious with PDF and Acrobat/Reader because there are lots of bad guys who would love to exploit the products. I doubt that things relative to security would be scriptable. Don't know, but just a guess. You could ask on the Acrobat forums in that area.