35 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2012 5:29 PM by TheThirdWave

CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help

TheThirdWave Level 1
      1. Does it make a difference whether or not I set the MBD & MRQ in the New Sequence > Settings Tab or in the Export Dialog Box?
      2. Do these same settings in the New Sequence > Settings also determine how Adobe handles video previews?
      3. Currently I use AVCHD footage. Do I increase my color bit depth while working in my Timeline? If so, to what?
      4. I was under the impression that whenever I import media into Premiere Pro it automatically up-samples media to 4:4:4 and 32 bit float color. Is this incorrect until I activate MBD & MRQ in the New Sequence > Settings Tab?

Any help would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
          Rallymax-forum Level 3

1:

if you have MPE enabled then the pipeline is rendered at MRQ anyhow.

if not, if you have lots of keying or color correction you're better off doing the calculations at MRQ vs 8bit.

if neither are the case then no don't use it. AVCHD is 8bit and you'll just be burning CPU time for no gain.

2: yes

3: AVCHD is 8bit unless you have incredibly rare 10bit footage. So no point increasing the bit depth (from 8)

4: no it does not. it will stay in the input footage format as long as possible. For AVCHD it is dependant on the AVC importer. Todd or others will have to report on whether it makes 32bit YUVA4444 or 8bit YUVA4444 during decode.

If it is already in 32bit then yes juse turn on MBD since you're already in that mode and converting it to 8bit from 32bit is a waste of time since the exporter is going to have to do that to make the output AVCHD 8bit YUV422 anyhow.

• 2. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
            TheThirdWave Level 1

1: Let me try to rephrase my question like this. Does it make any difference in the final rendered video quality if I set the MBD & MRQ in the New Sequence > Settings Tab or in the Export Dialog Box?

2: So therefore your video previews will take a CPU/GPU hit if these are selected?

3: What does it increase the CBD to? (e.g 8,10,16,32)

4. I'm reading an Adobe book that says it does... It didn't sound right to me.

Working in a 32 float workspace is advantagious especially with effects and compositing work like in AE. Blending Modes and Transparency functions also appear more accurate. At least in AE they do. It's not uncommon to work in a 32bpc workspace and output in 8,10, or 16 bpc with far more superior results as opposed to working in a complete and exclusive 8bpc pipeline. I'm trying to find out if this is also the case in PPro CS6.

• 3. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
              Jim_Simon Level 8

1. No.  Export settings will override sequence settings, which only apply to previews.

2. Yes.

3. Huh?

4. Only some effects can work in 32 bit resolution, and those are marked by a 32 icon to the right of the effect's name.

• 4. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                TheThirdWave Level 1

1: So if I have composites, fx, etc. in my Sequence (in which I did not activate MBD & MRQ in my New Sequence > Settings Tab when I first created it) then activated MBD & MRQ in Export Settings, the final rendered quality would be the same?

3: If MBD increases the Color Bit Depth, what Color Bit Depth does it increase it to? (e.g. 8 bits per channel, 10 bits per channel, or 16 bits per channel? Or does it increase the YUV to 4:4:4? )

4. Upon further review, I'm goint to assume the 32 bit floating is referring to the audio resolution, which PPro does upsample regardless of what audio resolution you give it. Just like Audition does. Thats why they can work together nicely.

But the 4:4:4 upsample doesn't make sense, unless it's referring to anything else other than imported footage, which would make sense. (graphics, motion graphics, etc.)

• 5. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Here, give this a read, especially at the end.  An Adobe engineer explains how PP handles footage under various scenarios.

https://blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad/2010/06/understanding_color_processing.html

• 6. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                    Rallymax-forum Level 3

4. Upon further review, I'm goint to assume the 32 bit floating is referring to the audio resolution, which PPro does upsample regardless of what audio resolution you give it. Just like Audition does. Thats why they can work together nicely.

No, actually video is changed to 32bit float too. When you change to MaxBitDepth the video will get converted to RBGA4444 or YUVA4444 32bit floating point.

fyi for those who don't know.

8,10, 16 bit "integer" are whole numbers eg. 8bit = 0..255, 10bit = 0..1023 & 16bit = 0...65535

floating point is what you learnt in math.

Video expressed as 32bit float is normally in the range of 0.000000000 to 1.000000000 (9 zeros of precision)

Almost every video format is in 8 bit integer. Some high end professional is in 10-bit. AVC is 8-bit YUV420. Apple ProRes codec for example is YUV422 10bit (or YUVA4444 10-bit).

The BIG benefit of float during processing is that you can exceed the 0.0 to 1.0 range and then come back into that range with the next filter without clipping of information. In other words it gives you a HDR to work with all the time.

eg a brightness change of 200% would give you 0.0-1.0 -> 0.0-2.0

next filter does brightness %50 to return it to 0.0-1.0

If you did that with integer math you would clip the bright half of the original since you can't express a number greater than 255 in 8-bit. IE the damage is done in the first filter.

• 7. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                      TheThirdWave Level 1

Thanks Jim,

I ran into that site earlier and read it. However, it doesn't explain how to activate either 32 float or YUV color space respectively other than MBD. How do you know what you're working in? 32 or YUV? These are the results of my test if I activated 32 bit float color. As you can see AE handles it perfectly as it's supposed to. But PPro looks exactly the same (maybe a very tine difference) with or without MBD selected.

PPro-CS6-Color-Test.jpg

Any help would be greatly apprecatiad. Thanks

• 8. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                        Rallymax-forum Level 3

the only way to know for sure what mode you're working in is to turn on the developer's "dog-ear" mode.

here is the exerpt from the developers manual...

Dog Ears

Premiere Pro’s built-in player has a mode to display statistics, historically known as “dog ears”,

which can be useful in debugging and tuning performance of importers and effects. The statistics

include frames per second, frames dropped during playback, pixel format rendered, render size,

and field type being rendered.To use this feature, you’ll need to bring up the debug console in

Premiere Pro. You can do this via Ctrl/Cmd-F12. To enable the dog ears, type this:

debug.set EnableDogEars=true

to disable, use this:

debug.set EnableDogEars=false

If the enter keystroke seems to go to the wrong panel, this is an intermittent panel focus problem.

Click the Tools or Info panel before typing in the Console panel, and the enter key will be processed

properly.

Once enabled, the player displays the statistics as black text on a partially transparent background.

This allows you to still see the underlying video (to some extent) and yet also read the

text. When you turn off dog ears, the setting may not take effect until you switch or reopen your

current sequence.

• 9. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                          TheThirdWave Level 1

"When you change to MaxBitDepth the video will get converted to RBGA4444 or YUVA4444 32bit floating point."

• So then it does get upsampled to 4:4:4 as I mentioned earlier?
                          • Which is it? YUV or 32bit floating point color?
                          • How do you know which one you've activated?
                          • Why do my results show no output difference as in AE?

Thanks

• 10. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                            Rallymax-forum Level 3

YUV is a color space, as is RGB.

Colorspaces can be expressed as 8bit, 10bit, 16bit integers or 32bit floating point.

Their chroma samping can be expressed as 4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4 etc.

H.264 starts are YUV420 8-bit and is decoded and chroma upsampled to YUVA4444

IE The U & V upsampled from 2x2 to 1x1 ie 4:2:0 -> 4:4:4

The Alpha would be empty

The output number type could be 8bit integer (where the range is 0..255 with legal range 16..235) or 32bit floating point with range 0.000000000...1.000000000

Message was edited by: Rallymax-forum - clarified 8 , 10 and 16 as integers not floating point

• 11. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                              TheThirdWave Level 1

Incredible. Thanks.

So the color bit depth test (with MBD activated) that I posted was done in:

Quality: High

PF: BGRA 4444 8u

Couple of questions if I may:

• Why is RGBA backwards BGRA?
                              • Why 4444? Isn't 4:4:4 and for YUV only?
                              • What's 8u?

Thanks,

• 12. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                Rallymax-forum Level 3

3: If MBD increases the Color Bit Depth, what Color Bit Depth does it increase it to? (e.g. 8 bits per channel, 10 bits per channel, or 16 bits per channel? Or does it increase the YUV to 4:4:4? )

MBD changes the bit depth to 32bit floating point from the source video format it came in as. eg 8-bit (eg H.264/AVC) or 10-bit (eg ProRes)

It can do that for the 3 colorspace modes it understands (there are others but I'm trying to keep this simple)

RGBA

YUVA in rec601 (eg SD)

YUVA in rec709 (eg HD)

if the source is an AVI it'll change to RGBA4444_32f     (32f = 32bit floating point in range 0.000000000...1.000000000)

if the source is SD AVC it'll change to YUVA4444_32f

if the source is HD AVC it'll change to YUVA4444_709_32f

if you DON'T use MBD those sources will be processed as:

if the source is an AVI it'll change to RGBA4444_8u     (8u = 8bit unsigned integer in range 0..255)

if the source is SD AVC it'll change to YUVA4444_8u

if the source is HD AVC it'll change to YUVA4444_709_8u

Now, to throw a wrench/spanner in the works.

Prior to CS5 every plugin (filter etc) had to support RGBA 8bit mode.

So, there are a lot of filters out there that can only work in RGB. IF, you use one of those, Premiere's pipeline will automatically change it to RGB from xxx.

SO, the only way to truely know what mode you're in is to look at the dog ears (see my other post)... BUT that's only going to be for the final output since it could change along the way due to injected filters/effects.

FYI, audio is always processed as 32bit floating point in Premiere.

• 13. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                  Rallymax-forum Level 3

>

So the color bit depth test (with MBD activated) that I posted was done in:

Quality: High

PF: BGRA 4444 8u

No, with MBD activated it was processed in RGBA 32bit floating point mode or YUVA4444 32bit floating point mode depending on your footage.

RE: Quality. this is compeletely orthogonal to bit depth. it's the alorithm used for things like blur. with MRQ it uses a more accurate (but more cpu usage) formula to give you a better render result.

Final master output should, in my opinion always have MRQ turned on if you do anything more than cut editing.

>Why is RGBA backwards BGRA?

After Effects always worked in BGRA. it's now a legacy thing.

it just means that a pixel is expressed as

[blue 0..255][green 0..255][red 0..255][alpha 0..255]

Premiere by default works in RGBA which is the other way around. Premiere understands how to work with BGRA though.

[red 0..255][green 0..255][blue 0..255][alpha 0..255]

YUVA is

[Luma 0..255][Chroma U (ie Cr) 0..255][Chroma V (ie Cb) 0..255][Alpha 0..255]

>Why 4444? Isn't 4:4:4 and for YUV only?

yes the 4:x:y scheme is for YUV only.

Saying that RGBA is 4444 just means that each color and alpha have the same number of bits each. You are right - it would be silly to have a RGB420 for example. G and B can't be sub-sambled like U and V can with little human seeable degradation.

8u - sorry I made a typo. I should have written "8u" not "8i". "8u" is 8bit unsigned integer (ie 0..255)...

FYI, signed 8-bit integer is -128...+127 (but Premiere doesn't use signed integers anywhere).

• 14. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                    TheThirdWave Level 1

Colorspaces can be expressed as 8bit, 10bit, 16bit or 32bit floating point.

Their chroma samping can be expressed as 4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4 etc.

I was under the impression that only RGB color space was expressed as 8bit, 10bit, 16bit and 32bit floating point.

YUV is actually the only one expressed in chroma subsampling numbers as 4:4:4 etc. RGB has three distinct color channels expressed in bits per channel (Red, Green, Blue) while YUV has three different components which consist of lumanance and two chromanance. Big difference between both. In all actuallity it really should be expressed as Y'CbCr. YUV is actually an analog system.

• 15. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                      Rallymax-forum Level 3

if you look at that blog you'll also see a "YUV" icon to indicate whether it can do it in RGB _or_ YUV.

If you have YUV content you'll want to use YUV effects otherwise it has to convert to RGB first. If both 32 and YUV are not active the plugin is old and can only do 8bit RGB processing (which used to be the only mandatory mode). When you use non-32bit plugins or RGB ones on YUV footage you'll potentially inject degredation into your footage due to conversions and the limits of expressing a color outside of the legal range.

http://blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad/32BitIcon.png

• 16. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                        TheThirdWave Level 1

I've posted my results and the 32 bit float processing is obvious in AE as you can see, but apparently doesn't seem to work in Premiere Pro. This has been my question the whole time.

• 17. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                          TheThirdWave Level 1

So how do you know which version of the plug-in you're using? The ones that support 32 also support YUV and vice versa.

And what if your Sequence has both YUV and RGB content?

• 18. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                            Rallymax-forum Level 3

>I was under the impression that only RGB color space was expressed as 8bit, 10bit, 16bit and 32bit floating point.

There are pixel modes for 8,16 integer + 32bit float for both RGB and YUV.

>YUV is actually the only one expressed in chroma subsampling numbers as 4:4:4 etc. RGB has three distinct color channels expressed in bits per channel (Red, Green, Blue) while YUV has three different components which consist of lumanance and two chromanance. Big difference between both. In all actuallity it really should be expressed as Y'CbCr. YUV is actually an analog system.

correct. there is no reason to put "4444" after RGBA.

here are most of the pixel formats supported by Premiere...

PrPixelFormat_BGRA_4444_8u is the standard format Premiere always used.

PrPixelFormat_ARGB_4444_8u is what After Effects used

MaxBitDepth converts to, and uses,

For RGB:

PrPixelFormat_BGRA_4444_32f

For YUV:

PrPixelFormat_VUYA_4444_32f

PrPixelFormat_VUYA_4444_32f_709

PrPixelFormats

/**

** Currently supported types

*/

// Packed formats

PrPixelFormat_BGRA_4444_8u // 4 byte BGRA, standard windows 32 bit pixels (was kPixelFormat_BGRA32)

PrPixelFormat_VUYA_4444_8u // 4 byte VUYA (was kPixelFormat_VUYA32)

PrPixelFormat_VUYA_4444_8u_709 // 4 byte VUYA (was kPixelFormat_VUYA32)

PrPixelFormat_ARGB_4444_8u // 4 byte ARGB (the format used by AE) (was kPixelFormat_ARGB32)

PrPixelFormat_BGRX_4444_8u // 4 byte BGRX

PrPixelFormat_VUYX_4444_8u // 4 byte VUYX

PrPixelFormat_VUYX_4444_8u_709 // 4 byte VUYX

PrPixelFormat_XRGB_4444_8u // 4 byte XRGB

PrPixelFormat_BGRP_4444_8u // 4 byte BGRP

PrPixelFormat_VUYP_4444_8u // 4 byte VUYP

PrPixelFormat_VUYP_4444_8u_709 // 4 byte VUYP

PrPixelFormat_PRGB_4444_8u // 4 byte PRGB

PrPixelFormat_BGRA_4444_16u // 16 bit integer per component BGRA

PrPixelFormat_VUYA_4444_16u // 16 bit integer per component VUYA

PrPixelFormat_ARGB_4444_16u // 16 bit integer per component ARGB

PrPixelFormat_BGRX_4444_16u // 16 bit integer per component BGRX

PrPixelFormat_XRGB_4444_16u // 16 bit integer per component XRGB

PrPixelFormat_BGRP_4444_16u // 16 bit integer per component BGRP

PrPixelFormat_PRGB_4444_16u // 16 bit integer per component PRGB

PrPixelFormat_BGRA_4444_32f // 32 bit float per component BGRA

PrPixelFormat_VUYA_4444_32f // 32 bit float per component VUYA

PrPixelFormat_VUYA_4444_32f_709 // 32 bit float per component VUYA

PrPixelFormat_ARGB_4444_32f // 32 bit float per component ARGB

PrPixelFormat_BGRX_4444_32f // 32 bit float per component BGRX

PrPixelFormat_VUYX_4444_32f // 32 bit float per component VUYX

PrPixelFormat_VUYX_4444_32f_709 // 32 bit float per component VUYX

PrPixelFormat_XRGB_4444_32f // 32 bit float per component XRGB

PrPixelFormat_BGRP_4444_32f // 32 bit float per component BGRX

PrPixelFormat_VUYP_4444_32f // 32 bit float per component VUYX

PrPixelFormat_VUYP_4444_32f_709 // 32 bit float per component VUYX

PrPixelFormat_PRGB_4444_32f // 32 bit float per component XRGB

PrPixelFormat_YUYV_422_8u_601

// 8 bit 422 YUY2 601 colorspace

PrPixelFormat_YUYV_422_8u_709 // 8 bit 422 YUY2 709 colorspace

PrPixelFormat_UYVY_422_8u_601 // 8 bit 422 UYVY 601 colorspace

PrPixelFormat_UYVY_422_8u_709 // 8 bit 422 UYVY 709 colorspace

PrPixelFormat_V210_422_10u_601 // packed uncompressed 10 bit 422 YUV aka V210 601 colorspace

PrPixelFormat_V210_422_10u_709 // packed uncompressed 10 bit 422 YUV aka V210 709 colorspace

• 19. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                              Rallymax-forum Level 3

based on your image I'd say that Premiere was working in 32float the whole time.

You can see that the bricks in the background don't get blown out in Premiere even though you were not in MBD. The only way that happens is if you're in a mode that can exceed the legal limits: And, to my knowledge, the only mode that can do that is when you're in 32bit float.

If you have Murcury Playback Engine enabled then it's always in 32bit float. Thus the opacity tests are the same.

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-4733279-236785/PPro-CS6-Color-Test.jpg

• 20. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                                Rallymax-forum Level 3

>

So how do you know which version of the plug-in you're using? The ones that support 32 also support YUV and vice versa. And what if your Sequence has both YUV and RGB content?

You can't know for sure. You can only know it's possible (and preferred) to work in that mode if the lego icon for it is on (as per the image above)

• 21. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                                  TheThirdWave Level 1
                                                  • So how do you know which version of the plug-in you're using? The plug-ins that support 32 also support YUV and vice versa.
                                                  • And what if your Sequence has both YUV and RGB content?
                                                  • Why is there no difference in my renders regardless of whether on not MBD is selected?
                                                  • 22. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                                    TheThirdWave Level 1

So regardless of whether or not I have MBD selected, it will always work and process in 32 bit float environment?

• 23. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                                      Rallymax-forum Level 3

reply overlap...

>Why is there no difference in my renders regardless of whether on not MBD is selected?

If you have Murcury Playback Engine enabled then it's always in 32bit float. Thus the opacity tests are the same.

• 24. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                                        TheThirdWave Level 1

So AE actually does a more acturate and better job at processing color than Premiere Pro?

• 25. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                                          Rallymax-forum Level 3

For the opacity test in 8bit I'd say it does a worse job unless your goal was to blow out the bricks.

If you turn off MPE I'm guessing you'll see the same results as AE.

• 26. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                                            TheThirdWave Level 1

You can't know for sure. You can only know it's possible (and preferred) to work in that mode if the lego icon for it is on (as per the image above)

• So if both legos are on which one is it using?
                                                            • And if the media on your Sequence is mixed?
                                                            • 27. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                                              Rallymax-forum Level 3

• So if both legos are on which one is it using?
                                                              • And if the media on your Sequence is mixed?

if both are on the plugin supports:

RGB 8bit, 32bit float

YUV 8bit, 32bit float

you don't know what it will use, it's up to Premiere to choose the best for you.

I'm assuming that priority is

YUV clip:

YUV32f

YUV8u

RGB clip:

RGB32f

RGB8u

• 28. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                                                TheThirdWave Level 1

So regardless of whether or not I have MBD selected in PPro, it will always work and process in 32 bit float environment so long as I have the MPE enabled?

• 30. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                                                  TheThirdWave Level 1

you don't know what it will use, it's up to Premiere to choose the best for you.

So then it will go down the Sequence and choose the appropriate plug-in mode base on the current media its working with in the Sequence and will flucuate from YUV to 32 as it goes down the same Sequence?

• 31. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                                                    Rallymax-forum Level 3

You are still confusing YUV and 32bit.

They are completely independant.

You have 3 systems to play with:

"YUV" icon ->  Indicates that the filter/effect can process in YUV (RGB is no longer mandatory). BUT, it might also do RGB.

"32" icon ->      Indicates that the filter/effect can work in 32bit floating point (which has added feature of going beyond black/white limits).

Max Bit Depth forces filters/effects that support 8bit and 32bit float processing to use the more CPU intensive 32bit version.

The Opacity filter might be 32bit ONLY - thus that filter will always work in MBD and not crush the brightness.

I can't be more specific than that. You'll have to ask Adobe if they will release a list of the pixel formats that each shipped filter/effect supports so that you have a better understanding of your workflow.

Right now it seems like you're looking too much at the tech and not enough at the preview monitor to see if the output is what you want. Just make sure your sequence settings has the preview monitor set to FULL quality when stationary and maybe FULL during playback if you have the processing power for it.

• 32. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                                                      TheThirdWave Level 1

For the opacity test in 8bit I'd say it does a worse job unless your goal was to blow out the bricks.

If you turn off MPE I'm guessing you'll see the same results as AE.

The Opacity and Guassian Blur tests in 8bit in AE are actually a true and acurate result of working in 8 bit throughout the entire pipeline.

The Opacity and Guassian Blur tests in 32bit float in AE are also a true and more acurate result of working in a 32 bit environment with an 8bit output, as opposed to PPro in 32 bit float. The Blending modes should also behave differently in 32 bit float, and more accurately. I saw no difference in PPro but then again as you mentioned, I have been working in 32 bf the whole time because of the MPE being enabled. I'll have to do another test with it off. I'll also include a Blending Mode so you can see.

• 33. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                                                        TheThirdWave Level 1

I believe I clarified this when I told you "YUV is actually the only one expressed in chroma subsampling numbers as 4:4:4 etc. RGB has three distinct color channels expressed in bits per channel (Red, Green, Blue) while YUV has three different components which consist of lumanance and two chromanance. Big difference between both."

The Opacity filter might be 32bit ONLY - thus that filter will always work in MBD and not crush the brightness.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that Opacity is actually not a filter as it appears by default with any media imported into the Sequence. Nor does it have a Lego icon to distiguish it's color support.

I can't be more specific than that. You'll have to ask Adobe if they will release a list of the pixel formats that each shipped filter/effect supports so that you have a better understanding of your workflow.

I understand my workflow just fine thank you. But PPro apparently does not handle 32bit float color as well or acurate as AE, which is important for compositing and other effects which appear in both applications.

Right now it seems like you're looking too much at the tech and not enough at the preview monitor to see if the output is what you want. Just make sure your sequence settings has the preview monitor set to FULL quality when stationary and maybe FULL during playback if you have the processing power for it.

I already have my Preview Panel set correctly and have already posted my output as you can see. And yes my machine has the processing power. Thank you.

What I have learned from this thread:

• Using a MPE complaint card to render does improve video quality and at times speed up rendering
                                                                        • Regardless of whether or not I have MBD selected, I am working in 32 bit floating color mode
                                                                        • PPro does not process composites, Blending modes, or effects as color acurate as AE.

Questions answered:

• Does it make a difference whether or not I set the MBD & MRQ in the New Sequence > Settings Tab or in the Export Dialog Box?

No because the Export MBD & MRQ will override everything and process everything accordingly

• Do these same settings in the New Sequence > Settings also determine how Adobe handles video previews?

Yes

• Currently I use AVCHD footage. Do I increase my color bit depth while working in my Timeline? If so, to what?

Yes. If I enable hardware MPE or enable MBD. It will increase color bit depth to 32 bit float or YUV 4:4:4

• I was under the impression that whenever I import media into Premiere Pro it automatically up-samples media to 4:4:4 and 32 bit float color. Is this incorrect until I activate MBD & MRQ in the New Sequence > Settings Tab?

Yes. If I enable hardware MPE or enable MBD in the Sequence Settings or Export Settings. It will upsample to 32 bit float or YUV 4:4:4

• 34. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                                                          Rallymax-forum Level 3

I believe I clarified this when I told you "YUV is actually the only one expressed in chroma subsampling numbers as 4:4:4 etc. RGB has three distinct color channels expressed in bits per channel (Red, Green, Blue) while YUV has three different components which consist of lumanance and two chromanance. Big difference between both."

You've exhausted my good will. I give up trying to help you.

• 35. Re: CS6 New Sequence > Settings - MBD & MRQ Help
                                                                            TheThirdWave Level 1

You've exhausted my good will. I give up trying to help you.

I'm sorry to hear that, but thank you nonetheless.