18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2013 6:39 PM by jbowden

Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs

tfbkny Level 1

I couldn't find a thread where I could submit feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs (and things of that nature) encountered when using Edge and needed a place where I could collect them writing about them as they happen and before I forget.

This is not a whishlist, rather simply a place where I'd like to send feedback and hopefully get clarifications on something that may be a non working feature, erratic behavior or a bug.

That said here is the first one of them:

Where: Edge Animate > Library>Assets

What: Impossible to remove from the list the folder and/or assets

When: Always

How: After adding asset (add an image to the composition) remove the image from the composition. Then if you would like to remove that asset, there isn't an option to do so. The contextual menu only offer one choice "Reveal in Finder" (on a Mac) which is basically reading the path of the asset and opening the containing folder for the selected asset.

Only removing the file or folder from the location (which Edge has stored as a path) would yield a removal from the list of the Library>Asset The item will be removed from the list when, upon right clicking and selecting "Reveal in Finder" Edge will not find the asset and ask the user if they want to reload the content of that list which basically will refresh the pointers and if the asset won't be found then the entry for it will be removed from the list. (Quite a cumbersome hoop-jumping just to remove an asset from the list)

Why: Users wanting to manage and update the content of the Assets may want to see some listed but may want to ignore other entries that have been replaced with different assets, but they want to keep the files within the folder where they were originally placed.

For instance adding images 001.jpg through 100.jpg  and later removing all odd images or even ones from the composition, the Library will still list them in the assets unless removed from that folder "physically" and placing them somewhere else doing an "update" in the library pane later as explained above. Leaving the unused assets in the list when not necessary adds to clutter and having to perform a manual workaround to update the UI isn't very efficient

(a minor missing feature... not a feature request to start this feedback thread)

Hope this helps keep track of issues, but if there's a better way/system, will be glad to use that instead.

Cheers!

tfbkny

• 1. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
          AllDayDev Adobe Employee

Thanks for the feedback, tfbkny!

I've reposted this as an Idea in this community, so we can better track this feature request and other users can vote on it:

http://forums.adobe.com/ideas/2137

If you come across anything else you'd like to see added to or changed about Edge Animate, feel free to submit an Idea for it.

Clipboard03.png

• 2. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
            tfbkny Level 1

Thanks for the cleanup Carey, much appreciated ;D

QUick question on the same topic then... is there a place where the same can be done to report what looks like a bug or would that be handled via threads and then if it's a bug will be logged internally?

Cheers!

tfbkny

• 3. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
              elainecc Adobe Employee

We're still monitoring the forums and will file bugs based on what we see.  Thanks!

-Elaine

• 4. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
                tfbkny Level 1

Thanks Elaine much appreciated. About where to place bugs I'll keep posting them on this thread as as I spot them. So here goes the log for the new bug in Edge Animate:

Unchecking "Include Snippet Comments" comments continue to be added.

Severity (minor annoyance)

Cheers!:)

tfbkny

• 5. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
                  jbowden Adobe Employee

tfbkny wrote:

Unchecking "Include Snippet Comments" comments continue to be added.

Severity (minor annoyance)

Hello there,

I could reproduce this in EA 1.0. Can you please provide the steps to reproduce it?

Thanks,

Joe

• 6. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
                    heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

It appears that when enabled, the option works 'specifically' for when the user clicks the Code Snippet buttons. But when a click handler is added, you still get the // comment one liner .

Darrell

• 7. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
                      tfbkny Level 1

Hi Joe, do you mean you could not reproduce it in EA1.0, right?

I guess that's my bad... I should have specified that is not the actual snippet clicking to add the code but the additon of new actions via UI.

Steps:

1. Create a symbol

2. Add an action for it via UI (let's say a click action

3. The "// insert code for mouse click here" comment for that action will be added to the code window

So perhaps a global control (or 2 separate ones? Maybe one for actions and one for action snippets?) should be available to toggle the automatic inclusion of comments in the code being generated via UI?

It's a bit inconsistent that once toggled off auto commenting features it's still present when creating actions. There is no way for me at this time (other than select and delete it each time), to remove those comments from the code. So it might be an improvement or consolidation of an existing feature (works for snippets in the side column, doesn't affect code created via UI-driven "action snippets")

I hope now is clearer and reproducible. Thank you for taking the time to look into it like I've said it's a minor annoyance and there are bigger bugs to squash and major features to add... I logged it because I am going nuts with the add action and delete comment on close to 100 elements and symbols

Cheers!

tfbkny

• 8. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
                        jbowden Adobe Employee

tfbkny wrote:

Hi Joe, do you mean you could not reproduce it in EA1.0, right?

Sorry! Yes, that's what I meant. Lotsa typing...

tfbkny wrote:

Steps:

1. Create a symbol

2. Add an action for it via UI (let's say a click action

3. The "// insert code for mouse click here" comment for that action will be added to the code window

Ah yes, and now we get to the heart of the matter.

When you uncheck "Include Snippet Comments", you are only omitting the comments for the code snippets (the buttons) to the right of the Code editor or Actions panel which contain snippets of code for common tasks. You aren't omitting the comments for the element event handler that you've added.

There's not a specific feature in EA 1.0 to turn off the comments for the event handler. So in this case, this is a lack of a feature - not a bug. Note however that when you add an event handler, the default comment is selected, so you can just type over it.

I'll enter a feature request to turn off comments when adding element event handlers/triggers for a future version of EA.

Hope this clarifies it,

Joe

• 9. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
                          tfbkny Level 1

Perfect that'll do

Not a bug but a nice to have feature then (maybe in prefs?). Anyway like said earlier there are bigger fish to fry (Canvas! ;D) so this shuold definitely take the back seat and be put on a stand-by list, but I figured I'd log it anyway before I forget.

Thanks to you both (Joe and heathrowe) for the quick reply with info and clarifications... much appreciated.

Cheers!

tfbkny

• 10. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
                            resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree. It will be a nice feature to have in next version!

• 11. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
                              Jerry Witt Level 2

If we are tracking bugs and feature requests here, I'd like to add that no matter how many layers deep -- no matter how many symbol withing symbols down you are, one 'preview in browser' redirects you back to the root timeline. I know there is a thread on here about that somewhere. I just wanted to be double-sure it was in the bug list, because it is probably the biggest issue I have with EA.

• 12. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
                                tfbkny Level 1

Hey Jerry Witt then you could vote on the idea to be implementated

http://forums.adobe.com/ideas/2144

... it was a post I made earlier together with another suggestion/wishlist entry which Carey Burgess split and moved ideas so that could be voted on. Until then I wasn't much aware of the fact that there is a section of the forum where ideas can be submitted... I guess there are many who like me ignored the existence of that area judging by the number of ideas and votes ;D

About this feature request I am glad to see I am not the only one having issues with the way it's currently working (which is killing productivity and making the workflow a pain )... sorry to hear the issue affected you too . Hopefully the Adobe Edge Animate Wizards will continue perform their magic and solve this one too!

Cheers!

tfbkny

Message was edited by: tfbkny (cuz a shortcut combo somehow sent the message before it had been completed/revised... darn fat fingers! ;P

• 13. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
                                  Jerry Witt Level 2

Done and done. (Yeah, getting "kicked out" of editing your symbol is a drag.)

• 14. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
                                    mrteach50

This was a big help.  Although I imported a .gif file, when attempting to publish to iBooks (widget) I found it couldn't publish .gif file, even though I wasn't actually using it in the animation.  I couldn't get rid of it...Thanks, tfbkny, for this post!

• 15. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
                                      tfbkny Level 1

Bug Reporting (is there anywhere users can provide feedback about bugs/program's glitches?)

Not knowing where to list what would appear to be bugs/glitches I'll keep adding them here and hopefully someone at the Edge Team will look into it eventually as time allows

Issue: Min W in Symbols' stage property won't stick to percentage.

To reproduce behavior:

- Create symbol,

- Double click to edit created symbol,

- When in Symbol Edit mode, click on the stage (once),

- Edit the Min W of the symbol's stage properties on the left "Properties" panel,

- Without changing the value (which will be zero), toggle px to percentage,

- Save your project,

...et voilà by magic the property you just toggled reverts itself to px

(To make it stick apparently it's necessary to change the value in the text field then toggle px to % and it will be properly kept when saving.)

side note: I don't know if that's something that can be a factor in causing the glitch, but each time a project is saved and a the user is "inside" a symbol's stage, the values in the properties panel will display the main stage properties and then will go load again the properties of the symbol being edited.

Cheers!

tfbkny

• 16. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
                                        jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi tfbkny,

Looks like a bug to me.

Not a bug with major impact as you noted, but a bug all the same.

To further explain, when MinW set to zero, whether it's px or %, it essentially means there is no minimum width at all. When there is a true minimum width set, whether it's px or % will be retained, along with the value.

tfbkny wrote:

Bug Reporting (is there anywhere users can provide feedback about bugs/program's glitches?)

Right now, the best way to report bugs is to create a new topic for each one you want to report. We keep an eye on the forum, and will get to them when we can.

Thanks,

Joe

• 17. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
                                          tfbkny Level 1

Great! Thanks for your reply Joe, much appreciated.

For future similar reporting I just create a new topic, adding line like "Edge Animate bug? [bug info]", "Edge new bug report: [bug info]", or similar, where [bug info] would be a minimal description of the issue like the above "Min W stage property won't stick to percentage" (also those keywords might help with search).

Cheers!

tfbkny

• 18. Re: Feedback about glitches, misbehaviors errors, missing features, bugs
                                            jbowden Adobe Employee

Yep, that's a grand idea and would stand out very well for quick scanning of the page.

Thanks,

Joe