17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 4:19 AM by Pbeck1

Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?

Pbeck1 Level 1

I'm asking because i have just made 3 video projects of my baby's first 3 years in Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7. I want to buy a new Windows 8 PC soon. Can i just buy the new Premiere Elements 11 and install that on my new Windows 8 PC and use it to open my projects, or would there be compatibility problems and therfore should i just try and install my normal Premiere Elements 10 on the new Windows 8 PC?

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
          stihlchainsaw

I've opened two Pre 10 projects in Pre 11, done extensive additional editing using the new features, and had zero problems.

• 2. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Historically, most users can open a PREL (Project file), created in an earlier version of PrE, into a newer version. However, and depending on exactly what was done in that earlier PREL, problems can arise.

Each version brings some changes. Third-party plug-ins can change, things, such as Themes, can change, etc..

General wisdom is to complete a Project in the version, in which it was started, but many do migrate them to newer versions, and they edit and complete fine - it just depends. I strongly recommend that all Projects, to be migrated, be Opened in the creating version, and then Save_As be used, to get a Copy of that Project file, the PREL, and then only Open that Save_As in the newer version, so that the original is not over-written, just in case something bad happens. What is normally not possible, is to Open a Project, that was either converted to a newer version, or created in the newer version, back in the older version.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
              Pbeck1 Level 1

Ok, i have taken the plunge and installed a trial version of Premiere Elements 11. I've made duplicate copies of my projects from Premiere Elements 10 and opened them all in Premiere Elements 11.

The results seem to be that the actual main body of the video projects open fine in the new version i.e trimmed video clips and their transitions into the next clip etc. However, most of the titles (intro's etc) are coming up just blank and this is true for the SD & HD projects. I'm wondering if this may be because Premiere Elements 11 is still in trial mode?

Anyway, i think your advice about finishing the movies in the intended version seems sound. It does worry me a bit that in the future i won't be able to re-open the finished projects in the new version of Premiere Elements in a new computer, if say i wanted to burn another Blu-ray disc of the movies etc. I think it may be a good idea to export the movies now as standalone Mpeg or AVC movies too, so at least in the future they can be used by any other application or device, and thus future proof?

Thanks for your advice buddy

• 4. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

However, most of the titles (intro's etc) are coming up just blank and this is true for the SD & HD projects. I'm wondering if this may be because Premiere Elements 11 is still in trial mode?

I would not anticipate that the trial version would have anything to do with that.

I find that odd, as I was unaware of any changes in the handling of Titles, between PrE 10 & 11. The Titles are stored within the PREL (Project file), as XML code, until, or unless, one Saves a Title as a Template to the HDD, for use in other Projects, as a PTRL file.

One quick thought: is this trial PrE 11 on the same computer, as your PrE 10? The reason that I ask is that if one does not have the fonts used in a Title (usually due to being on a machine without the font, a wipe and reinstall of the OS, or the removal of fonts), they can show up as blank.

Another thought would be to Dbl-click on one of those "blank" Titles in the Timeline, to open it in the Titler, and see if anything shows there.

However, it COULD be that Titler underwent some changes, from version PrE 10 to PrE 11, and that you have discovered a problem w/ migrating Projects?

Good luck, and thank you for reporting.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
                  Pbeck1 Level 1

Hi, I thought this extra information would be helpful for this mystery:

I’ve noticed a little yellow triangle in the bottom left of the screen. It says “open events window” when I roll over it. When I open the events window the messages are for events that are describing the missing titles. They are in the PNG format. I have supplied 2 screenshots showing this for you.

All my projects are archived projects, but I must add that they are now on a different computer to the one where they were saved. I’m sure these archived projects are supposed to supply all necessary media and components for the project, & saved and linked to within the archive? However, it looks to me like Premiere Elements is still looking for the PNG title files in their original location. The PNG title files are in fact inside the archive folders and so are not missing. Why is Premiere Elements 11 not looking inside the archive folders (wherever the archive's location happens to be) for these PNG title files? Also, why is Premiere Elements not informing me that these PNG title files are missing and why is it not asking me where it can then find them?

Many thanks again for any help.

Screenshots links (Skydrive):

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E57CBA9406D2A39!302&authkey=!ANNyj-GTPZIisNQ

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E57CBA9406D2A39!303&authkey=!AMcDCyC9yiXEIp4

• 6. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I have seen several instances, where the Project Archiver could not gather up some Assets, that are not in folders, under the Project's root folder. Were those PNG Images in folders within the Project's hierarchy, or elsewhere?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
                      djboshh2

Yes, the PNG title files are inside the archive folder. I moved this archive folder to a new PC where PrE 11 has been installed, but PrE 11 is looking for them in the archive folders original location, instead of wherever the archive folder now happens to be.

This further information may help:

The original movie project in question was made at my partners home on her PC, and archived there. I then copied the archive to my pc at my home for backup purposes. It's at my home on my PC that i installed PrE 11 trial, and attempted to open the archive project of the movie. I also have PrE 10 installed on my pc too.

I'm currently at my partners pc writing this message (I'm baby sitting, lol). What i have done at my partners this morning is to open the original archive and rendered everything (nothing was rendered before), saved the project and then created a brand new archive. It's this new archive that i will take home and test in PrE 11 this evening, and i will get back to you then.

Also, here is a screenshot of the settings used for my project:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E57CBA9406D2A39!304&authkey=!AAiiTWK5iGyNAhEhttp://

Again, many thanks

• 8. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
                        PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi,

In PRE11, we have moved the content online. The content include Titles, Movie Themes, DVD Templates or Movie Menus, Cliparts. So when opening from a previous version, we suggest you see which content it is that shows itself as "Missing Media", and download it. To do this, say for Titles, check which Title it is that is not being shown and go to that Title peview in PRE11 in "Title and Text" button in the Action Bar at the bottom of the app. Look for the content in the specific category and download it by right clicking on it. Alternatively, you could download all Titles by right-clicking on any of the Title with a blue band on the top right of the thumbnail (this is to say that the content is online and not downloaded yet.) Once this is done, you can reopen the project and see if the content is displayed correctly.

Let us know if this works.

Regards,

The Premiere Elements team

• 9. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
                          djboshh2 Level 1

Thanks so much for your reply.

The only bit of confusion left then, is why is PrE 11 displaying yellow triangle events error messages informing that the title PNG’s (that were created by the archiving process in the archive folder) are missing when they are not? It’s looking for them in the archives original location where the archive was made & saved instead of the archives new location which is on my new pc. There’s no missing media prompt, just blank titles and yellow triangle events error messages.

• 10. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Pbest1 has informed me that he posted his issue here as well as at another forum that I frequent. I have been looking into the matter in depth for several days now and have reported my findings to Pbest1 at that other forum. It is very long, detailed, and complicated. You can view that information at

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73777

I would refer you to the details in the thread whose link I have posted. But briefly here is where I have a problem with your target of the new location for the Title Theme "missing media" under the circumstances. With or without those 3 .png files present in the Premiere Elements 11 directory, as long as you have copies of the 3 .png files (representing the graphics for Title Template Baby Cotton_title) in the Premiere Elements 10 Copied Folder, you will get an intact Baby Cotton_title thumbnail when you open the Premiere Elements 10 Copied Folder's project.prel in Premiere Elements 11. Further, under no circumstances do I ever see any of the warning messages that the user reports. But the thread referenced has all the details of the details.

I post here because of your interest in replying to Pbest2 coupled with the fact that you appear to be from Adobe who would be expected to have more insight into any behind the scene activities of the new program problems. At this time, I have not done any general evaluation of the Premiere Elements 11 Project Archiver options and involvement of other Title Templates, so I have no idea at this time how specific or non specific this problem may be.

ATR

• 11. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
                              erocksf

It doesn't. Nor does Adobe have ANY kind of answer for me on the issue. I have had a case open with them for almost a week with NO answers in sight.

I work freelance for a production company, and I have lost my account and my job due to this issue. I'm incredibly pissed at Adobe. So PLEASE don't make the same mistake!!

• 12. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
                                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Reply to Erocksf:

????

How did you lose your job over the issue of opening version 10 projects in version 11?

• 13. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
                                  erocksf Level 1

I am a freelance videographer for a newspaper. Before upgrading to Windows 8, I contacted Adobe support (and cruised through a few forums) to make sure that Premiere Elements 10 would be compatible with Windows 8. This was important, because I have projects that I edit using Premiere Elements. Because I work for a newspaper, it is important that the features I am editing are in a timely manner, in order to reach the deadlines I am given.

I upgraded. It did not work. After a few hours of troubleshooting, I was told that there was nothing I could do, and that Premiere Elements was NOT compatible with Windows 8. I told Adobe that I had a deadline to keep for the newspaper (extremely frustrating, because the features were almost finished...just needed a few additions) and that if there was a version of Premiere available that worked with Windows 8, that I would download and purchase it in order to finish my piece. I was told by Adobe that CS6 (Premiere 11) was compatible and it should work fine.

Already feeling wary about Adobe and their support team, I decided to download (4 hour download) CS6 to make sure Premiere actually WORKED before I bought it. Surprise surprise, it didn't. I got an error with something to do with incompatible video codes. This cannot be, as I just purchased a BRAND NEW HP Touchsmart 660 with everything needed in order to run full programs (video card, etc).

By now, this ordeal has gone on 4 days. On day 5, I contacted Adobe AGAIN, telling them that CS6 didn't work. They assured me that my case had reached Tier 2, and that I would recieve a call back by the weekend.

Here we are, Tuesday. Yesterday, my editor asked about the status of the videos, that should have been finished by Friday the 9th. They weren't, and as a result I was taken off the project, and temporarily let go, due to my inability to provide content.

This is how I make a living. I am now unable to provide content for my employeer, and am out a weeks paycheck.

Does this explain a little better, @Grisetti?

• 14. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
                                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Okay. Sorry somebody misinformed you about last year's version of the program.

What do you mean by "I upgraded. It did not work. "? What didn't work? The program wouldn't load and install? It wouldn't work with your video source? It should have at least worked. What model of camcorder is your video coming from?

Although have you tried version 11's (the current version's) free trial -- which was the first Premiere Elements version developed after Windows 8 was created? It should and does work absolutely on Windows 8.

• 15. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
                                      rgindiana Level 1

Remove me from this thread!

Sent from my iPad

• 16. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
                                        nealeh Level 5

Why not install PRE10 on your new computer so that you can complete the projects in the version in which they were created?

You can have multiple versions on a single PC as they do not interfere with each other.

Also, because disk masters are created months in advance of new products hitting the retail chain, important things like graphics and audio drivers are going to be out of date and you should go to the manufacturers web site to update them (do NOT rely on Windows update to give you the latest versions).

While you're at it also ensure you have the most recent QuickTime player software installed - PRE relies heavily on QT.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 17. Re: Will Premiere Elements 10 projects work in Premiere Elements 11?
                                          Pbeck1 Level 1

Hi erocks

I'm Paul and i started this thread.

I thought this information would be helpful for you.

I have bought a brand new Windows 8 PC. It's 64 bit. My previous computer was Windows 7 x32 bit. I have successfully installed Premiere Elements 10 on my new Windows 8 computer (but needed to install the 64 bit version of the program (same serial works)).

All my Premiere Elements 10 projects that were made on the Windows 7 pc open up just fine on the new Windows 8 pc, with no issues what so ever.

I would advise you to install Quicktime too as Premiere Elements needs that to be installed too. Also, i would strongly advise you to install a codec pack too, for the video codecs, or your new computer (& therefore Premiere Elements) could well have problems reading, opening and using certain video file types. If your Windows 8 pc is 64 bit then make sure you install 64 bit video codecs as well as the 32 bit versions. This is because Premiere Elements on a 64 bit system will need to use 64 bit video codecs.

Here's a link for some codec packs. Make sure you install the 32 bit version, and if you are using a 64 bit system then install the 64 bit video codec pack as well (find it at the bottom of the codec web page).

http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm_

P.s if you installed the extra Premiere Elements content on your old installation then don’t forget to install that too on your new pc. You can download that by logging onto your online adobe account, finding your order, and downloading from there.

Please let me know if that helped, as im quite interested to know the outcome.