27 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 5:15 AM by Jeff_Coatsworth

Cut and paste the wrong data

dcrouse10 Level 1

I have a problem with FM 10.  Eventually, when I copy something and then paste, it pastes something else. Usually whatever was in the clipboard previously. Pasting into any other program works fine, but FM will not paste the correct object, and become fixated on the previously pasted item.  When it happens, it happens whether I copy from within the doc, or from another program (Photoshop, Notepad, Word).

This happens with text or graphics.

I will work fine for hours, then it goes off the deep end and this happens.  In order to make it work properly again, I have to close FM and restart it.

Has anybody seen this before?  What is it and how do I stop it?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
          Jeff_Coatsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you haven't got some sort of clipboard manager program installed do you?

• 2. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
            dcrouse10 Level 1

Nope.  Never heard of such an animal.

• 3. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data

I have seen them before - they "remember" a whole series of prior CTL-X and CTL-C actions that can be browsed to select a previous one and paste it again. Anyway, is your clipboard behaving outside of Adobe apps? i.e. back in Windows

• 4. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data

Oh - just thought of something else - do you have Skype installed?

• 5. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                  dcrouse10 Level 1

No to Skype.

Everything outside of FM works fine.  I can copy, then paste to FM and it pastes something else.  Alt+Tab to Word and paste and it pastes what it should.

Its like FM has its own clipboard manager that does not always accept new input.

• 6. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                    RoboColum(n) Level 5

I wonder whether you have installed any other apps that have some keyboard shotcuts that conflict with the copy / paste commands in FrameMaker. I have seen some apps that do not use Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V for copy / paste.

• 7. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                      Bob Niland (Error 7103) Level 4

I haven't played with later versions enough to have much insight, but in FM7.1/Solaris, there seem to be at least 3 clipboards in play.

In particular, Frame seems to manage its own CB for certain dialogs, and even remembers what was last pasted between reboots.

Are you doing copy with keyboard shortcuts, mouse clicks, or menu pulls?

I could see keyboard and/or mouse ops being eaten by other apps running on the PC (not to mention keylogger malware).

If you can demonstrate the problem using menu pulls, you may have a reportable defect.

• 8. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                        dcrouse10 Level 1

None that I know of, but its something to watch for.

In any event, the items are copied to the clipboard since I can paste them to other apps, just not the one they need to go into (FM).

• 9. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                          dcrouse10 Level 1

Cut and paste using keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+C and Crtl+V).  Nothing fancy.

I will try using the menus the next time it happens and report the results.

• 10. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                            Mike Wickham Level 4

I have seen this before on Windows 7 64-bit, but don't recall if it was

inside FrameMaker. See if your clipboard works outside FM. I sort of

remember using a reboot to fix it.

• 11. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                              dcrouse10 Level 1

I do have Win 7 64-bit.

I does work fine outside of FM.

Restarting FM will fix it, its just a pain in the backside to have to keep rebooting the program.

• 12. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                                dcrouse10 Level 1

Pasting from the menu does not work when this problem occurs.

After rebooting FM, I don't have to re-copy the object.  I can just paste it from the clipboard and it works!

• 13. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                                  Bob Niland (Error 7103) Level 4

> Pasting from the menu does not work when this problem occurs.

Say again? Does this mean you can't duplicate the problem using the menu, or the menu Copy/Paste functions are unavailable and/or do nothing.

Using whatever means, if you can get to a repeatably demonstrable failure, here's something else to try: do it slowly.

We have copy/paste scenarios in our configuration (terminal emulator green screens in particular) where the first copy simply cannot be done quickly, or you'll be pasting whatever was previously on the CB. I've learned to use right-click Menu Copy the first time. After that, keyboard copy seems to work.

• 14. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                                    dcrouse10 Level 1

Paste through the menu returns the same erroneous results.  It pastes the wrong thing.

Speed is not a factor.  I can wait 5 min to copy and it still pastes the same item.

• 15. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                                      Arnis Gubins Adobe Community Professional & MVP

David,

Which point version of FM10 are you using?

Do you have any FM plug-ins installed?

What happens in FM after you try multiple copy & paste operations in another app? Does FM still have clipboard content from before the mutliple external copy & paste operations or does it pick up any of those with a lag?

Have you tried the esc key shortcuts?

Cut

Esc e x, Control+x, Shift+Delete

Copy

Esc e c, Control+c

Paste text that you cut or copied

Esc e p, Control+v, Control+y

Quick-copy text

Click where you want to place the copied text. Then press Alt and drag through the text you want to copy.

• 16. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                                        laurie@cn

Jeff,

I just noticed that you asked here about Skype. I *do* have it installed and use it frequently while working in FrameMaker. Is there some issue with that? I certainly hope not as Skype is my office phone...

Can you provide any details?

Thanks,
                                        Laurie

• 18. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                                          Harpreet seehra Level 1

If its a laptop try and turn off the sticky keys as well

Harpreet

• 19. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                                            laurie@cn Level 1

I was so hoping to find some reason why this product is so prone to crashing that I would have given up Skype if that was the answer. But I don't run any Skype plug-ins and I don't have the problem described in that thread. I'm not on a laptop, I'm on a really beefy desktop with 20 gig of ram. I am starting to think there are just very few people using FM 11 on Windows 7 64 bit on a daily basis, otherwise there would have to be more people complaining.

-Laurie

• 20. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                                              dcrouse10 Level 1

Update.  Still broken, but more info.

The problem seems to start when you stop copy/paste from an external source, and do a copy/paste from within FM (now at FM11). 

After this, it is stuck using its own clipboard, and ignores copies from any external source.  You can copy/paste anything you like, as long as it is from within FM.  It will never again paste anything from an external copy (Notepad, in this case) until you reboot the program.

• 21. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                                                Arnis Gubins Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not verified. I can easily alternate between multiple applications copying & pasting from all of them into and out of FM11 (Windows 64-bit Ultimate).

There's probably something else going on in your installation. Look at what applications and services are running in the background (schedulers, update applications. anti-virus, ec.) and try turning off all non-essential ones to see if you can get to a point that doesn't mess wih your clipboard. Then turn them on one by one until you can duplicate this scenario to identify the culprit.

[Yes, I know that that would be a real time-consuming PITA of a process, but I don't have any other suggestions... ]

• 22. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data

I'm still suspicious that it's Skype - especially now that MS is converting all Messenger clients over to it. I bet it's installed as a plug-in in your browser.

• 23. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                                                    dcrouse10 Level 1

Absolutely Skype free, unless it is installed and it does not show up anywhere when you go looking for it.

• 24. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                                                      TK98028120

I've seen this issue in Framemaker 2015 as well. I have one workaround that seems to work, although the issue seems so random for me that I'm not sure it'll always work or work for others. But when this issue occurs try to paste as unicode text (Edit > Paste Special > Unicode Text > Click OK).  That fixed the issue for me. 

• 25. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                                                        K.Daube Level 1

Maybe this just adds more confusion:

On my W7-x64 system (which I was using before setting up W7 x64 on a new laptop in october 2015) all CTRL-anything operations did not work in FM after hibernation. I had to restart FM to get rid of it. Menu work or ESC-sequences worked.I have never encountered this on my new system/laptop since then. And: It did/does not happen with sleep, just with hibernation. Adobe could not reproduce this, although it happened on my previous machine/system setup for FM-11 to FM-13.

Klaus Daube

• 26. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data
                                                          Russ Ward Level 4

Hi dcrouse10,

YES, YES, YES! Thank you! I have been seeing this consistently since I started using FM2015 last year. It's just like you say... things work fine for a bit, then you do something and FM no longer pastes content from an external application. It only uses the latest copied FM data. It is definitely not user error. My annoying workaround has been what TK98028120 said, to do a Paste Special.

I am an FDK/ExtendScript developer, so I have gone as far to mess with the clipboard using PopClipboard(), etc., to see if I could reset something and knock it out of this state. No luck.

I have never mentioned it because I figured maybe I had some weird, one-off issue. If everyone saw it, I assumed the mob would be marching with pitchforks. So I kept quiet. But this is at least validation that the problem is really real. It is aggravating enough that someone might give up FM entirely.

But now... could it be fixed? Who knows. At least I can sleep better at night, knowing that I am the mentally stable cool cat that I always thought.

By the way, I do have Skype. I don't think I did when the problem started, though. It is a corporate mandate so I can't get rid of it. I really don't think it is Skype, though.

Russ

• 27. Re: Cut and paste the wrong data

Russ - all I can say is that the desktop Skype app was the culprit affecting FM and other applications - it was well known as a persistent resource hog. I've never had an issue with the clipboard in FM because I've kept Skype on a tablet or running in a browser only.