8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2008 9:34 PM by Steveorevo

Director 11 at GDC 2008

Zen Seven
      So I was at GDC and visited the Adobe booth for a hands-on demo with Director 11. Sadly I have to report that my initial impressions of the product were underwhelming. Especially for something that has been a long time coming.

There booth was small and there and was empty - so I had one of the developers demoing it for me all to myself. At first glance it was hard to see what has changed. The interface looked fairly similar with some UI improvements, like docking and the like, while he insisted that there was much better support for Javascript users, which I was happy about. I totally forgot to ask whether or not multiple undo was finally added sadly (I hope so!). Them bringing back support for a physics SDK, this time Ageia (nVidia), is great news. Some people would argue PhysX is better and easier to work with than Havok.

The one that was disappointing was the lack of networking features. There is no plans for making Flash Media Server support UDP, and I couldn't get a straight answer regarding bringing Multiuser Server back to life. I told him that network performance especially for games was very important if they wanted serious people using it for either casual/web-based games or for prototyping, and sadly the impression that he gave me during the presentation was that Adobe invested just enough to keep their current hardcore base satisfied, not to attract new users to the product.

I wish it wasn't the case, but it's too little, too late I'm afraid. I'll give Director 11 a chance, but I'm already on the hunt for some other rapid-prototyping game building tools to replace it.

• 1. Re: Director 11 at GDC 2008
          AlinaX
          I don't want to talk about Ageia PhysX in Director Shockwave.
          Allan P is a fan, Remus M (Necromanthus) is not.
          I have no idea if Ageia is better than Havok.
          Personally, I would prefer they improve Havok because the backward compatibility is more important.

Adobe promised a 3D engine upgrade on 2008. Let's give them a chance.
          Probably the last one...
          • 2. Re: Director 11 at GDC 2008
            Wolfgang Herold Level 2
            Don't forget.
            Havok is WIN
            PhysiX is WIN and MAC, and that's very important.

:) Wolfgang
            • 3. Re: Director 11 at GDC 2008
              Romeo.Marian Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: wherold
              Don't forget.
              Havok is WIN
              PhysiX is WIN and MAC, and that's very important.

You are outdated.

Havok Physics licensed to Blizzard Entertainment : Diablo 3
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Jeff Yates, Havok's Vice President, Product Management:

The Mac is an important piece of technology and because of the cross-platform nature of Havok's technology, the port to Mac was easy to do.
              Furthermore, Blizzard Entertainment's commitment to OS X and to the Mac community is a good indication of the growth potential of the Mac as a games platform.
              Blizzard has always put out great games on the Mac, and we look forward to Havok becoming a part of that tradition.

The latest version (Havok 5.5 SDK) target platforms:
              - GameCube
              - Linux
              - Mac OS X
              - PC
              - PlayStation2
              - PlayStation3
              - PSP
              - Wii
              - Xbox
              - Xbox360
              • 4. Re: Director 11 at GDC 2008
                Level 7
                The problem is that the Havok xtra (the important part when ti comes to
                using it in Director) was not licensed to Adobe (or Macromedia) for
                MacTel. Without a license for that, there can be no Havok on new Mac
                computers.

They do have a license for PhysX. This is a legal limitation, not a
                technological one.
                • 5. Re: Director 11 at GDC 2008
                  Romeo.Marian Level 1
                  quote:

Originally posted by: Mike Blaustein
                  The problem is that the Havok xtra (the important part when ti comes to
                  using it in Director) was not licensed to Adobe (or Macromedia) for
                  MacTel. Without a license for that, there can be no Havok on new Mac
                  computers.

Very expensive for a small company such as Adobe, isn't it?

• 6. Re: Director 11 at GDC 2008
                    Level 7
                    > Very expensive for a small company such as Adobe, isn't it?

You're ignoring the point. If Havok isn't interested in renewing their
                    contract, no amount of money will make a difference.
                    • 7. Re: Director 11 at GDC 2008
                      Romeo.Marian Level 1
                      quote:

Originally posted by: Sean Wilson
                      > Very expensive for a small company such as Adobe, isn't it?

You're ignoring the point. If Havok isn't interested in renewing their
                      contract, no amount of money will make a difference.

You are misinformed.
                      Why don't you contact Anu Kalra (Intel senior software engineer & co-developer of Shockwave 3D engine) to find the truth?

• 8. Re: Director 11 at GDC 2008
                        Steveorevo Level 1
                        It appears as though Adobe knows that 3D is important, they just don't know where to put it. Acrobat 3D anyone? LOL...

Until they realize that they need to give developers what they want, no amount of psuedo 3D functionality is going to make content and adoption magically appear.