Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion 10 - Internal Server Error

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We have ColdFusion 10 running on Windows 2008 server R2. Incoming requests are redirected by Apache to ColdFusion. We have been seeing lately a very random set of 'Internal Server Errors' when the site is accessed. Sometimes doing a refresh of the page fixes things; at other times we need to restart the CF 10 services. I do not see anything in the logs to help me push for a resolution. Do you know of any methods on what I should be doing to get this fixed?

Appreciate your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This 503 thread may be discussing the same issue: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4728624#4728624

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve. I will follow up the thread and close this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2012 Sep 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Legolas, is your problem related to an XML post? If not, that link/bug may not be relevant. And if it is, I just made a proposal there that I’d helped someone solve that by simply changing their call to an XML get instead.

But beyond that, I’ve seen a lot of people reporting suffering problems in “moving to CF10”, and reasonably being inclined to blame it on CF10, when it’s turned out that the problem was not CF10 specifically. So let me share some thoughts if it may help you or others finding this entry.

Besides recommending that people follow a process to thoroughly study any available logs, alerts, monitors, or other things (as is needed whenever CF requests are failing, because there can often be unexpected explanations), I’d also propose that one in this situation (since many are reporting it and may find this in the future) consider carefully if anything else may have changed with their “move to CF10”.

For instance, did you move from Windows 2003 to 2008? It’s a lot more secure. Some things may only really work correctly if you use “run as admin” while configuring things, like the web server configuration tool, or when adding certificates with the keytool (the latter not likely related to you, Legolas, I realize).

Similarly, though I realize you’re using Apache, some (in this boat) may be using IIS. I’ve helped more with that, and I’ll write for those readers, but perhaps some ideas may have parallels in Apache.

For those using IIS, did you perhaps change from IIS 6 to IIS 7? It too is very locked down and works differently in many ways. Indeed, one (in “moving to CF10”) may have moved from a box that was running IIS 7 with IIS 6 compatibility (as was required for CF 9.0 or 8, along with manual tweaks) to a new box running IIS 7 WITHOUT IIS 6 compatibility (as supported in 9.0.1, 9.0.2, and 10). There are also differences in how the CF/IIS config works in IIS 7 WITHOUT IIS 6 compatibility.

Indeed, some people (in dealing with the issues in that last paragraph) have sometimes gone to manually tweaking things, whether in IIS or in the config files (web.config, applicationhost.config), and if they don’t get that right, or don’t fully understand some implications, it could be that they’ve got things working in a non-standard way (from how CF would configure them, from scratch.)

My point is simply that some problems that (some) people seem to be accusing of being “CF10 bugs” are not always that. But sure, there are some. Indeed, be sure you have applied the Hotfix 1 (for CF10) which addresses about 20 bugs. (Update 2 is a security hotfix.) And if there really is some issue that you’re hitting, perhaps others will hit it, have reported it, and Adobe may soon resolve it.

If you want to share more details (if that other bug is NOT the issue), others may find it and chime in and share more that may be specific to your particular problem.

But if you or anyone else reading this want help digging into attacking this like any CF server troubleshooting problem, that’s what I do for a living, as an independent consultant. I can help folks remotely, over the web without you needing to open a firewall or grant me an account (using a tool like Adobe Connect), and I can help you perhaps learn about and better understand/use available diagnostics that may connect dots to solve this problem—better still, the techniques and tools can help with any future problems (and any with CF 9 and other releases or other CFML engines).

I appreciate that some may balk at a seeming sales pitch. I hope the info offered in the first several paragraphs makes up for that. I just know that some people are at their wits end and would be grateful to be able to turn to anyone who may be able to help. For more on my approach, rates, and satisfaction guarantee, see http://www.carehart.org/consulting/. More than that, to those who don’t like a sales pitch, note that I offer a link to other folks who do this sort of work, at http://www.cf411.com/cfconsult. Hope that may help you get further down the road.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation