3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 3:11 AM by thiesy65719

Photoshop 7 & Windows 7

mrsreddog

I've had this software for 8-9 years now...had it installed on two different computers, one with Windows 98 and the second with XP.  I just got a new computer with Windows 7 and I can install Photoshop 7, but I can't open it.  Says my scratchdisk is full.  It's got 1.9 TB of space on it!  Is there an update for Photoshop 7 for Windows 7?

• 1. Re: Photoshop 7 & Windows 7
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

If you can’t open Photoshop how can you know which scratch-disc it tries to use?

• 2. Re: Photoshop 7 & Windows 7
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Photoshop 7 cannot deal with huge amounts of free space - it pre-dated the time when terabyte disks were even close to available.

You can avert the error by pressing and holding down the Control and Alt keys immediately when starting Photoshop 7, then aiming Photoshop's scratch disk setting at a disk with less than 1 TB of free space.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Photoshop 7 & Windows 7
              thiesy65719

I just had to reinstall my Win7 to incorporate a SSD as my boot disc and ran into the same Problem. The reason is that administrator privileges are required to write a file into the root directory of the boot disc, which usually is C:\

Starting PS as administrator will work, however may not be desirable. Changing security settings for the boot disc will also work but is even less desirable.

Jörg