4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2008 7:19 AM by HKabaker

Auto-sizing popups

CeeEllBee
      Hello,
      Recipe: I create TopicA that holds a single screen shot. Then, in another topic, I create an auto-sizing popup link to TopicA.
      Result: When the popup opens, it is considerably wider than the graphic. The height is fine.
      After a bit of research, I have discovered that auto-sizing popups prioritize tall over wide. So, "that's just the way they work."
      Has anyone here ever devised a workaround to this issue?
      Or, does anyone know which area of the BSSCPopup section of the ehlpdhtm.js file I might try to tweak?
      I am generating WebHelp through RH7.
      Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Auto-sizing popups
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          HI ConTextCB

Have you tried using the option to specify the height and width of the popup? I'd perhaps add maybe 30 pixels to what the image reports as height and width and go that route.

Just a thought... Rick
          • 2. Re: Auto-sizing popups
            CeeEllBee Level 1
            Hi Rick,
            Thanks for your idea. Yes, I knew that was an option, but figured I should try the most complex approach before I went with the most simple!
            The auto-size feature is great except for popups that are as tall or taller than they are wide. So, I will heed your suggestion and custom-size the popups, as needed.
            Thanks again.
            • 3. Re: Auto-sizing popups
              MEP45 Level 1
              Along the same lines, can you set the size of the help window when it launches so that it does not cover the entire screen? If I size my browswer window a certain size they will launch in that size.

Mary
              • 4. Re: Auto-sizing popups
                HKabaker Level 2
                FWIW,

If I have a choice of rectangle formats, I opt for the horizontal one, for a number of reasons having nothing to do with popup windows.

Of course, not every illustration can be forced from tall to wide. I understand this and am not advocating a ban on tall graphics or arbitrarily chopping off pieces at top and bottom.

But sometimes you can make this choice ahead of time in laying out or cropping material to focus on the most relevant information.

As I said, FWIW.

Harvey