5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2012 12:55 PM by Peter Spier

Weird Email Links When Exporting from InDesign

MadMac01 Level 1

This is so weird. I exported a document I was working on in IDCS5 to PDF (Print) and there were weird little email links throughout.

Now, this is a document that I assumed responsibility for after a cohort left my company. But I checked everywhere in the document for the culprit. There were no hyperlinks in the Hyperlink pallet, even when I clicked on a frame-- and even a text string.

I exported to PDF (Print)-- Smallest File Size. This means that "include hyperlinks" was checked off and the Interactive Elements option was set to "Do Not Include" by default.

Is there somewhere else that this weirdness might be hiding in my document? Please help, because this is driving me frikken insane!

• 1. Re: Weird Email Links When Exporting from InDesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Does the text where you see these hyperlinks "look like" and email address? Acrobat has a preference to create hyperlinks on the fly from text that looks like a hyperlink.

Is CS5 patched to 6.0.4?

• 2. Re: Weird Email Links When Exporting from InDesign
            MadMac01 Level 1

<<Does the text where you see these hyperlinks "look like" and email address? Acrobat has a preference to create hyperlinks on the fly from text that looks like a hyperlink.>>

In fact, the footer contains an email address, and it is hot throughtout the document—but it is not the only case. In one case, it happened after a bracket character: "[" and I though this might also be cueueing it. But it also appears haphazardly in many other places. The tooltip is full of much weirdness too: strings of text from the footer, from a header on the first page, and from words from a completely different document (that I wonder if it was used to create this document.)

I was wondering if Acrobat might be the culprit. I am using Acrobat 9. Where in the stream could this be happening? Is Distiller involved in the export to PDF from IDCS? How can I turn it off?

<<Is CS5 patched to 6.0.4?>>

Not sure I understand this question. CS6 never touched the document, if that's what you mean. My version of IDCS5 is fully updated through Bridge.

• 3. Re: Weird Email Links When Exporting from InDesign

Sorry, the number in the qustion about patching was a typo. Should have been 7.0.4 which is the last patch issued for CS5. Cs5 is version 7, CS6 is version 8, and version 6 is CS4 -- all very confusing.

What you are describing sounds a little like another post from a few months ago where the PDF was picking up some random text and making it into a hyperlink. I no longer recall all of the details, but I remember doing som experimentation on that file, and I think the conclusion was there was a bug in Acrobat. I remember being able to trigger the behavior by doing something specific, but that's about all I remember. Sorry.

• 4. Re: Weird Email Links When Exporting from InDesign
                MadMac01 Level 1

*Sigh* I guess this just must be some of the control-freak OCD nature of my design talent.

Here is the thread I believe you referred to:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4384320#4384320

My takeaway was to export as IDML (my default last resort.) I did that-- to no avail.

Then I found this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/508182

Of course, I already played with the Link tool yesterday, but just concluded I must be doing something wrong. So today, I went to "Advanced--> Document Processing --> Remove All Links" like the thread above recommends. My beach ball spun for a few seconds, and the results were "A total of 0 web links were removed from the document."

I swear by my wife's black moustache, I just gotta learn to let things go... thanks for helping out.

• 5. Re: Weird Email Links When Exporting from InDesign

No, it wasn't either of those threads, but I did find it: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/959484?start=0&tstart=0

It looks like it may have to do with converting an earlier version .indd file by opening it directly in a newer version. You might also want to sne Dave Merchant a private message (or try reviving the trhead and see if he's still subscribed) to see if he ever go the files and learned anything.