25 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2012 1:29 PM by josephs51576386

1080p mp4 from Youtube

AudoWarp Level 1

Downloading videos from youtube to edit-play with.

Can CS6 work with 1080p mp4 that I download?

I can't seem to get playback to work properly, I can't hear the audio....

What settings/presets do I choose?

• 1. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
          Jim_Simon Level 8

That's not really the best source material.  You should be using something from a supported camera.

• 2. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
            AudoWarp Level 1

So its not supported?

Do you think maybe I should point my canera at the screen and film my monitor?

• 3. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
              Jim_Simon Level 8

That's probably not the most interesting subject matter to work with, but assuming the camera shoots in a supported format, it should work fine.

• 4. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                AudoWarp Level 1

But downloading mp4 format will not work in Premiere CS6?

• 5. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>downloading mp4 format

That all depends on what is inside the file... but, in general, youtube video is only designed for video streaming playback, not for editing

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/

• 6. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                    josephs51576386 Level 3

I've been forced to edit footage from you-tube before. It's not ideal at all though. To answer your question Premiere can edit some footage from you-tube it depends on what the codec is. Please download media info and post the information from your file and then we can try to help you out.

http://download.cnet.com/MediaInfo/3000-2169_4-10413046.html

• 7. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                      AudoWarp Level 1

I'm not being forced to--this is what I want to do.

Can I convert the youtube footage somehow to a format Premiere can handle?

• 8. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                        josephs51576386 Level 3

Yes although I'd advise you finding out the codec the file you downloading is using so we can make sure you're not converting the file for no reason. I'd like to make sure there isn't something wrong with your install of Premiere, because every single time I've downloaded any you-tube video that is inside the .mp4 container it has always used AVC video and AAC audio and always imports into Premiere and plays back with audio and video with no issues. It's always been their .flv files using vp8 that won't import correctly for me. So I'm thinking you shouldn't need to convert. That's why I wanted to check the codec info.

If you want to just convert it though so you can get editing I understand that, I'd recommend using freemake video converter to do this task because it works with all consumer style formats. I've used it to convert the VP8 based stuff that you-tube has and it always worked before. Although like I said you're going to degrade the quality of the footage even more than you-tube already did by doing this. Since freemake only uses consumer/delivery codec choices.

Although I fully understand you'd just like to get editing. Which is totally understandable.

Just be careful when installing freemake video converter and make sure to uncheck all the stupid bing bars and stuff it attempts to install your on system.

• 9. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                          AudoWarp Level 1

I won't be installing any of that.

What format can I convert to from within Adobe products so that video plays smoothly in adobe products?

• 10. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                            josephs51576386 Level 3

You need to provide the codec info for me to answer that.

• 11. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                              AudoWarp Level 1

Doesn't matter what codec is input.

I'm asking for a general solution for all video that I want to edit in Premiere--what do I convert it INTO?

• 12. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                                josephs51576386 Level 3

It depends on the scenario, there isn't one "solve all solution". To give you a general answer though, I'd recommend either using DNxHD for footage that is filmed on a camera and is 1920x1080 resolution. I'd recommend UT or Lagarith for graphics or anything lower than 1920x1080 resolution video from cameras. You can use either AME (Adobe Media Encoder) or (Prelude) to do this.  Although if you don't want to install free codecs then the next best thing is going to be MXF-OP1A format using the codec

AVC-INTRA Class 100 IMO. It's good for a lot of scenario's and doesn't lose much quality.

Although the reason input matters is because it affects what program you can use to do the converting. It if it doesn't work with adobe software then I have to make different recommendations. Which is why I was wanting to know the codec. Hopefully though the general answer will help you.

• 13. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm asking for a general solution for all video that I want to edit in Premiere--what do I convert it INTO?

Normally, you don't convert it at all.  You shoot with a camera that's supported, then you edit that native footage.

• 14. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm not being forced to--this is what I want to do.

Unless you uploaded it yourself, it's probably not legal, though.  So you shouldn't be doing that anyway.

And if you did upload it yourself, it's far better to go back to the original media than work with a compressed output for YouTube.

• 15. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                                      AudoWarp Level 1

Fair use, Jim. Totally legal.  Not your call.

• 16. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                                        medeamajic Level 2

Whay everyone has told you thus far is pure BS. Premiere edits youtube videos just fine as an MP4. You can make use of savetube.com or savevid.com to get the MP4 version. If you look though my videos you will see that I download people's youtube video and make video responses all the time using PP CS4 and 5.5. All I can say is you have recieved a lot of bad information from people who must not edit youtube videos. I hope this info helps :  )

http://www.youtube.com/user/adobePC/videos?view=0

• 17. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                                          AudoWarp Level 1

I haven't been able to edit them "just fine" in PPCS6--I get no playback.

• 18. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                                            medeamajic Level 2

Unless they have changed things in CS6 you should be able to edit MP4 files. I did it using PP CS 4 before I got CS 5.5. I can playback 1920 X1080 MP4 files at full resolution.   Do you have a Quad Core?   I hope so :  )

• 19. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                                              josephs51576386 Level 3

.mp4 doesn't mean anything. The only part that matters is the codec. .mp4 can hold several different codecs. Also just so you know everything I said was fully correct I even stated that I have edited you-tube videos myself with no issues in cs6, so I don't know how what I said is "bs".

• 20. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

OK, while I have never had a need to download anything from YouTube, the technical issues interested me. So I downloaded a program here: http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com/ and it does an amazing job. Really. I was quite surprised. I think I deserve a "Correct" on this one.

I never expected that kind of quality on top of the ease of editing with CS6. And it was fast. Please pay attention if you install this software. It wanted to make a lot of changes. Don't let it. Uncheck all the crud it wants to add. It seems to have behaved itself when told not to give me anything except the program I really wanted.

The settings shown below create crystal clear HD video that runs with nothing more than a yellow line above the sequence.

Those of you who know me a bit know I would never hype something like this. But since I found it to be everything I think that AudoWarp (the original poster) could want, I figured I should say so. The test I did with the URL in the following image was quite impressive. Just import the clip, then drop it on the New button to create a sequence with the correct settings. Also, make sure that when you find a video you want to download, set it to 1080P and then Share it. Change the options to use the HD link. I told it to use the long link. I don't know that it is necessary, but I did it anyway.

Untitled.png

• 21. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                                                  AudoWarp Level 1

Looks promising!

But do you think its safe?

It seems like for some reason software related to video, docecs and the like have the potentioal to harm your computer....

• 22. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                                                    AudoWarp Level 1

What is this "XVID" it refers to with the AVI option?

• 23. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                                                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You do not want xvid or divx for that matter. Does not edit very well. Stick to mp4.

There are many YT downloaders. Not all of them work properly. You need to try some.

• 24. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                                                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Ann is correct in telling you to stick to MP4. I can tell you for certain that the MP4 slices and dices like a hot knife through butter in Premiere Pro CS6. Don't mess with the other settings. They are all for playing the video on your PC, not for editing it in Premiere Pro. I don't know that I would bother testing the others since this one works so well, but do as you wish. Just be careful.

As for safe, Norton approved the file itself, and it was recommended by PC World. Side note: I remember when I subscribed to the magazine and had it delivered back in the late 1980's and early 1990s.

Like I said, the purpose of this post appeared to be a question on how to download and edit youtube videos. This program allows you to do that. Please stick to using it for video replies and the like. Respect people's property.

• 25. Re: 1080p mp4 from Youtube
                                                          josephs51576386 Level 3

I personally always use freemake video downloader to download both you-tube and vimeo videos. All you have to do when installing it is make sure to uncheck the stupid bing bar stuff, and it's totally safe.